PDA

View Full Version : Sites for exterior house design?

janeybwild
10-31-2018, 07:52 AM
For various reasons, we need to add a front porch (mostly to the right of the existing steps) to our house but we have an odd roof line. ISO sites that I could use to generate some ideas. I’ve tried usual google searches, but am hampered because no roof looks like this and I don’t know what this style of house is called. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

gamma
10-31-2018, 09:19 AM
Search Tudor Cottage. There are many in my area!
https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=tudor%20cottage&rs=rs&eq=&etslf=3354&term_meta[]=tudor%7Crecentsearch%7C0&term_meta[]=cottage%7Crecentsearch%7C0

robinsmommy
10-31-2018, 12:11 PM
That is challenging, as porches were a less common feature on those types of houses. It is a Tudor or Tudoresque style house. Usually porches, if any, would be brick and small, with arched doorways and/or windows. More like a covered entry.

I think it's going to be hard to do and stay true to the style of the house, and not create water issues with the roofline intersections. And to have enough slope but still have headroom on the porch - maybe if you stepped down from the stoop to the porch?

Typical might have been a little covered entry way extending out to about where your stoop sits - you'd have to extend it probably.

What issues are you trying to deal with?

ETA - Brick Tudor, about half way down right below Leaded Glass Windows, has a covered entry/porch. As do some of the others lower down. They aren't really porches to me.

https://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/exteriors/curb-appeal/tudor-style-home/

Further ETA - Google "Tudor with front porch"

Mommy_Mea
10-31-2018, 02:26 PM
I would try and have a small covering over the for that mimics the peaked roofline in the front of the house, and then transition to more of a trellis over the area to the right of the stairs. I will try and add a sketch of what I mean.

If you don't want the trellis, I would continue the roof line down, but it looks like it might block a window?

bisous
10-31-2018, 03:34 PM
I would try and have a small covering over the for that mimics the peaked roofline in the front of the house, and then transition to more of a trellis over the area to the right of the stairs. I will try and add a sketch of what I mean.

If you don't want the trellis, I would continue the roof line down, but it looks like it might block a window?

Wow, that's a pretty cool rendering skill you have there! I think that looks nice. :)

janeybwild
10-31-2018, 07:29 PM
Search Tudor Cottage. There are many in my area!
https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=tudor%20cottage&rs=rs&eq=&etslf=3354&term_meta[]=tudor%7Crecentsearch%7C0&term_meta[]=cottage%7Crecentsearch%7C0

Thank you!

janeybwild
10-31-2018, 07:30 PM
Holy moly, those are mad skills. Thank you, this really helped

janeybwild
10-31-2018, 07:34 PM
I found houses that at least look like ours minus the Tudor accents, thanks so much. We need to cover the front door since it has no protection and want to widen the stoop since it’s so crowded up there coming and going, and the front steps are crumbling. So, time to rethink. I’ve never been a big fan of the curb appeal of our house. It’s hard to picture what it could be. I need one of those design shows lol. Your suggestions were very helpful. Thanks again.