PDA

View Full Version : S/O Tennis for Kids!

marymoo86
10-31-2018, 09:00 AM
My almost 8yo has really gotten into tennis over the summer/fall. We have been doing a mix of clinic, private lessons, match play and she enjoys and has improved greatly. She's naturally athletic but really has gravitated towards tennis so would like to encourage while she has the interest. Her instructor is really encouraging winter clinic but we are in NC so weather will be iffy and she doesn't tolerate cold very well!

Any suggestions for useful gear that won't hamper playing ability? I've never played so unsure of what would be useful.

Also - any key tips on supporting a tennis player when you are not? I don't mind doing rallies and volleying with her as I can manage to move and return a ball. However - I know nothing of grips or the like so don't want to undue the good work by the coach! I've video taped so we can review to help her remember but aside from the movement of the swing I can't really tell much. She remembers easily fore/back hand grips but its more of topspin/slice that kind of stuff that I'm having to learn naming of and the like. Any good sites to help me help her?

She's getting a rebounder for Christimas since that will also help with other sports she likes.

mmsmom
10-31-2018, 09:26 AM
I’d just put her in athletic pants or leggings and a pullover or zip up fleece on top. Those wouldn’t restrict her movement and would keep her warm as long as she’s moving around. There are also lots of lined leggings but I think they would be too hot as long as it is in the 40’s or warmer.

Ask her coach for drills and exercises she can do at home. There’s a lot she can do off the court. I got something similar to this at IKEA years ago. DS used to bring it to use on an empty court while I was doing a clinic. My coach loved it and said it was a great tool. Ours is more portable and can easily be used in a driveway too.

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/tourna-fill-n-drill-tennis-trainer-16touufllndrlltnntnn/16touufllndrlltnntnn?camp=CSE:DSG_pg1052439047_eco m_PLA_452&gclid=CjwKCAjwpeXeBRA6EiwAyoJPKqMLM2hGqx6BV8zYtwrQ XwuEr8IoUQxl3f9xV48p6z4YicNj3bnStRoCjpgQAvD_BwE

mackmama
10-31-2018, 10:02 AM
I was a serious tennis player starting around that age. I agree with PP re dress. I’d sign her up for winter clinic. I wouldn’t try to coach her or learn the grips to help her etc at this stage. Leave that up to the coach. You might want to take some lessons if your own so playing can become a family sport.

marymoo86
10-31-2018, 10:34 AM
I was a serious tennis player starting around that age. I agree with PP re dress. I’d sign her up for winter clinic. I wouldn’t try to coach her or learn the grips to help her etc at this stage. Leave that up to the coach. You might want to take some lessons if your own so playing can become a family sport.

OH definitely not trying to coach just don't want her to "forget" while I am practicing with her :) I would love to learn but work + kids + back injury severely hampers free time and mobility.

She gets more out of the one on one so there's another family I'm good friends with that has 3 boys that we are trying to do see if we can do a small team clinic to get more specialized focus. For instance during the weekly clinics they aren't really doing topspin/slice work but she's learning that in private lessons.

Is there a glove that useful for cold hands? Or does it impede grip?

acmom
10-31-2018, 02:47 PM
I would sign her up for the winter clinic too - as others said, leggings/athletic pants plus long sleeve athletic layers would totally work clothing wise. No glove, but you could do a layer that had pockets to warm her hands between points or drills. I played high school and college tennis in the Northeast and had plenty of practices and matches in chilly weather and we were fine once we got warmed up. It was more our families/friends watching that got cold! :)

As far as helping her, I would ask the coach to give her appropriate things she could do at home. Some of mine used to give us strengthening exercises, footwork drills, etc. that were easy to anywhere.

As long as the coach thinks the winter clinic is a good level for her, I wouldn't worry to much about it not working on specific skills you mentioned (topspin/slice, etc.) - hitting a lot of live balls with coaches and peers will be valuable even without that specialized focus, especially at that age. She could always work on that in private lessons.