PDA

View Full Version : Making DD's birthday special when she's injured and life is crazy?

bisous
10-31-2018, 03:41 PM
This is such a crazy week. We're going to D-land tomorrow with all my kids and Friday with just my two oldest before attending an Eagle Court of Honor for a cousin. Saturday is a big recital for DS2 and we'll have out of town guests, my Bio Dad and his wife are coming for the recital. Today is Halloween. DD was injured (40 stitches in her eyebrow!) on Saturday so she's been home with me constantly. My house isn't as clean, nor is my shopping as prepped as it probably should have been had she been at school this week.

HOW do I celebrate DD's birthday? (On Sunday). Do you think doing something special at Disneyland could possibly be enough? What could that be? We go a couple of times per year there so I"d want it to feel "special" but still be cheap, lol.

I could do something while all the grandparents are in town on Saturday but so many options are out because of DD's injury. I just don't want her running around at Chuck E Cheese, let alone a trampoline park, and even the park makes me nervous now with the stitches still so fresh! I could host at my house, but I have no time to get the house ready and that just adds another layer of stress. It wouldn't be impossible but if I could ever pick a different venue for a party this week would be it!

I could do something simple on her actual birthday with just us and my parents (who live nearby) but even then it just feels exhausting after it all.

WWYD?

Philly Mom
10-31-2018, 04:05 PM
Well, for her birthday twin, I am having two friends over and baking for them. We got a piñata for the three of them and my big kid. It will be so casual.

I think having a special signing of happy birthday at Disney would be even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

MommyAllison
10-31-2018, 04:26 PM
I would postpone the party, personally! My DD2 was born three days after DD1's 6th birthday, and DD1's friend party that year was 5 months late. *blush* Last year we put both girls parties off for a month because it worked better with our schedule and friends schedules. Otherwise I agree to keep it super casual and low key!

California
10-31-2018, 04:34 PM
That is a lot in one week! I’d celebrate at Disneyland. Pretty sure they still do this- Stop in City Hall on Main Street and ask for a birthday button. Then staff will wish her a Happy Birthday all day long. They are really good at spotting the buttons and making the kids (and adults) feel special.

doberbrat
10-31-2018, 04:41 PM
I like the birthday button thing at Disney. Lunch at American Girl?

We usually go out to dinner and have desert at home so I'm little help. I just cant get into the big parties for kids.

ged
10-31-2018, 04:43 PM
What about a Build A Bear party? Or a little something at Disneyland is more than adequate!

bisous
10-31-2018, 05:01 PM
I would love to make Disneyland work. Phillymom what do you mean about a special signing of Happy Birthday? Do you mean like an autograph book? I wonder if she’d like that?

ourbabygirl
10-31-2018, 05:07 PM
I think she means you stop in to get a birthday button, then when the staff sees it throughout the day, they wish her a happy bday and sing to her. You could definitely do the autograph book, though, that would be a fun memento! :)
Happy Birthday to your little girl!

jenstring95
10-31-2018, 05:33 PM
At WDW you can order a cake and pick it up in certain places in the parks. Maybe they have that at DL too?

bisous
10-31-2018, 06:00 PM
At WDW you can order a cake and pick it up in certain places in the parks. Maybe they have that at DL too?

I’ll call them! That’s a good idea. I wonder how much it costs, lol!

Philly Mom
10-31-2018, 07:33 PM
I would love to make Disneyland work. Phillymom what do you mean about a special signing of Happy Birthday? Do you mean like an autograph book? I wonder if she’d like that?

I meant singing happy birthday. I think if you call ahead of time a restaurant can do a special singing and dessert.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

essnce629
11-01-2018, 03:28 AM
Uh yeah, Disneyland is definitely enough!!! That place is expensive. Get her the birthday button, let her pick out anything she wants at the gift store (set a price limit), and call it a day. Done!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

magnoliaparadise
11-01-2018, 05:11 AM
No real suggestions, but just hugs. Sounds like your family has a lot on your plate. Something low key sounds great. Or something low key and a promise for a half birthday celebration when things settle down. Good luck!

solsister
11-02-2018, 12:32 AM
Disney birthday sounds so awesome! Get her the button and make sure that everyone knows its her birthday!

marinkitty
11-02-2018, 11:01 AM
On our kids' actual birthdays, we usually just do a family celebration with whatever they request for dinner and birthday cake/gifts. I get balloons and hang up a banner. That's it. Can't you just work something like that into Saturday (even at a restaurant if you are already planning to dine out - just do cake along with it)?

And then have a friends' party later when she is recovered enough to do something fun with them. It's very rare that my kids have their birthday party on the day (or weekend) of their actual birthday.

Tenasparkl
11-02-2018, 03:20 PM
A birthday at Disneyland is great! My daughter actually requested to not wear a birthday button this year because she was embarrassed by all the people saying Happy Birthday (she's 10). I'm not sure which restaurants will give a birthday dessert, but we mentioned her birthday at the steakhouse at the DL hotel and they brought us a lovely dessert. It seemed like almost every table in the restaurant had a birthday too which was kind of fun.

twowhat?
11-02-2018, 09:37 PM
Can you book a room for one night at a Disney hotel and have something special (cake, etc) all ready to surprise her when you walk in? I realize it might not be cheap (one night at a Disney resort hotel could be pricey) but it would be a super low-key not-running-around-like-crazy way to celebrate. Along with making sure she has that birthday button on at the parks!