PDA

View Full Version : Question for those making political contributions

magnoliaparadise
11-01-2018, 05:36 AM
This is a bit last minute, but I'd like to make some political contributions. I'm asking this for now, but also for the future elections.

I'm a democrat, but republicans can answer if they want in their own version of similar correlated organizations.

I'm also looking at organizations supporting women running, democrat or republican.

I'm inundated by requests for money and it's hard to parse out which organizations are best (as far as using the money) and where to give.

If you donate, where do you donate? I'm looking at:

Women's orgs (Some of these are either democrats or republicans and some are both. I would be open to supporting Republican women, based on their record, but even if I disagreed with them possibly. I just like the idea of women, even if not democrats).

- Emily's List (the only one on this list that I know about)
- She Should Run
- National Women's Political Caucus
- Women's Campaign Fund
- Ignite
- Running Start
- Victory Institute
- National Federation of Republican Women

Democratic orgs:
- DNC
- MoveOn (not democrat per se, but I like it)
- DCCC (don't know anything about this one)
- ActBlue (don't know anything about this one)
- state democratic party organizations (each state seems to have one)
- individual candidates in my or other states, especially close races (because maybe the national organizations are all about ads only?)

And/or others?

If anyone gives to one or another that they particularly like, or if the republicans here like a certain party that correlates with one of these (? maybe they don't correlate exactly?), I'd love to hear your thoughts.

anonomom
11-01-2018, 08:04 AM
I use most of my donations budget on individual candidates, generally in local races. I got to work on a campaign this year, and I've seen first hand how shoestring some local campaigns are, and how very much of an edge certain candidates have if they start out with money of their own to spend.

I also give money to orgs making it easier for people to vote, like Spread the Vote (which is an amazing organization). And if I were giving money to PACs or activist groups, I'd again look to see who was doing work on the ground in my state or district. But I live in a very purple state that's been gerrymandered into redness. If I lived in a blue state, my answers would be different.

Globetrotter
11-01-2018, 09:50 AM
We live in a blue state. I’ve given to local candidates and recently we donated via actblue to Democratic Senate candidates in the purple states or swing states.

I love the idea of donating to spread the vote l or other organizations that address voter suppression or voter education. I am seeing more and more how this is the key to influencing elections, and the GOP has gerrymandered it to an atrocious level, Not to mention moving polling stations to ridiculous locations.

I also like the idea of donating to female candidates who will support my views.

NCGrandma
11-01-2018, 10:30 AM
If you have a particular interest in encouraging more women to get involved in politics at all levels, there may be an organization like Emily’s List in your state. In NC, Lillian's List provides training for prospective candidates and for campaign staffers, as well as having a PAC that provides campaign support. (Lillian Exum Clement was the first woman elected to the NC General Assembly, in 1920.)

This year my contributions have gone to NC Democrats. There are some really impressive younger women running this year, particularly for judicial seats, as well as progressive women who have been in office for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

ahisma
11-01-2018, 11:44 AM
I like League of Women Voters.

carolinamama
11-01-2018, 02:14 PM
This year I have contributed mainly to local individual candidates. I've become much more politically aware over the last few years and support these Democratic candidates fully. While I struggle with national political happenings, I feel that these candidates could truly improve the lives of those in my state.

westwoodmom04
11-01-2018, 02:27 PM
I use Act Blue. You can donate to individual candidates or to groups. You only have to provide your information once which I prefer to going from website to website.

pinkmomagain
11-01-2018, 02:58 PM
I am independent and have been donating to democratic candidates in various races across the country. It's been through Act Blue and it's been super easy to do.

squimp
11-01-2018, 05:12 PM
I like League of Women Voters.

Me too, they align best with my priorities.

smiles33
11-01-2018, 06:32 PM
I'm in a blue state, so I've donated to specific candidates in Texas (e.g., Beto and MJ) as well as to a PAC, Asian Americans Against Trumpism (they're targeting Asian language media to sway Asian American voters to vote for Democrats who'll stand up to Trump). I also donated to Murkowski's campaign on her website and the campaign to fund an opponent after Collins voted Kavanaugh in.

ahisma
11-01-2018, 08:55 PM
Circling back - most of my donations this year have been physical items (water bottles, pens) and food (pizza for canvassers, etc.) for local candidates that I know personally. That's not the approach that I typically take - at all - but I felt like they needed some TLC. I tried to keep it focused on actual needs, but a surprise snack delivery for hungry canvassers can do a long way towards morale boosting.

3isEnough
11-01-2018, 10:58 PM
Chris Sacca (part-time shark on Shark Tank, highly successful investor, formerly on Obama's technology team and hardcore Dem) recently wrote a blog post on how best to help Dems win in the upcoming elections and help democracy survive. After fully vetting numerous organizations, he made a decision on where to donate his own time and $ and he provides several recommendations https://medium.com/@sacca/how-you-can-help-us-save-democracy-d3bd6516ffac.

TwinFoxes
11-01-2018, 11:03 PM
Me too, they align best with my priorities.

They're non-partisan. If OP is looking to elect women candidates, the League of Women Voters is not the way to go. They don't support candidates or take position on legislation.

TwinFoxes
11-01-2018, 11:06 PM
Women's orgs (Some of these are either democrats or republicans and some are both. I would be open to supporting Republican women, based on their record, but even if I disagreed with them possibly. I just like the idea of women, even if not democrats).

I don't understand this. You'd donate money to a candidate you don't agree with? Why? I would rather donate to a candidate regardless of sex or party that I agreed with.

ahisma
11-01-2018, 11:53 PM
They're non-partisan. If OP is looking to elect women candidates, the League of Women Voters is not the way to go. They don't support candidates or take position on legislation.

They're non-partisan, yes. OP noted that she'd be ok with supporting female candidates on both sides of the aisle. They focus on GOTV efforts and access to voting, which tend to assist Dem and female candidates. They do release a voting guide and absolutely do take a stand on legislation on issues like health reform, immigration and the environment.

ahisma
11-01-2018, 11:59 PM
I don't understand this. You'd donate money to a candidate you don't agree with? Why? I would rather donate to a candidate regardless of sex or party that I agreed with.

I get it. I'm very liberal but work on issues on a policy level (health reform) that require me to work across party lines. Republican backing helps us incredibly, and we work hard to find it. I very much believe that we are more likely to find support from women in office, if for no other reason than because of life experience. Especially if they are mothers or caring for parents. It matters. A lot. As blue as I am (I grew up with a Jimmy Carter staffer father), I've voted for republican candidates who I felt we could work with.

TwinFoxes
11-02-2018, 10:10 AM
I get it. I'm very liberal but work on issues on a policy level (health reform) that require me to work across party lines. Republican backing helps us incredibly, and we work hard to find it. I very much believe that we are more likely to find support from women in office, if for no other reason than because of life experience. Especially if they are mothers or caring for parents. It matters. A lot. As blue as I am (I grew up with a Jimmy Carter staffer father), I've voted for republican candidates who I felt we could work with.

I understand voting for GOP candidates. I'm an independent. I don't understand just voting for someone because they're a woman regardless of their position, which is what I think OP is saying when she said she'd vote for them "even if she disagreed with them." I still don't think that makes sense...if you're a liberal why would you have voted for Michelle Bachman, for example, just because she's a woman?

SnuggleBuggles
11-02-2018, 10:33 AM
I understand voting for GOP candidates. I'm an independent. I don't understand just voting for someone because they're a woman regardless of their position, which is what I think OP is saying when she said she'd vote for them "even if she disagreed with them." I still don't think that makes sense...if you're a liberal why would you have voted for Michelle Bachman, for example, just because she's a woman?

I wondered that too about OP.
We had a heated local primary in the spring and I was for the incumbent. But, my friends were campaigning hard for the challenger. The drum they kept beating was that she was a woman (and black too). Not policy or the candidate, just those stats. I did my research and she was not remarkable/ better than the incumbent and I wasn’t jumping on her train simply because she was a woman. It really bothered me that she was simply boiled down to those statistics. She did win the primary so I guess we’ll see how it goes- she’s running unopposed so she’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magnoliaparadise
11-02-2018, 12:23 PM
Thank you everyone! This is so helpful. And it makes me want to give. I'm going to check some of the groups that I didn't know about now. I didn't realize I'd get so many responses to this. It's been something that I've been thinking about for awhile. THANK YOU!!!!

magnoliaparadise
11-02-2018, 12:24 PM

Hi, OP here. I think I wrote those words too quickly. Awhile after I wrote that post, I thought of those words and meant to go back and edit that and just forgot.

I DO want to support women candidates, both Democrats and Republicans, so that part I stand by. Frankly, I'm REALLY excited about African American women candidates. It's like we are on the cusp of so many new representatives, it's kind of awe inspiring and an exciting time.

But you're right - I wouldn't support a candidate, even a woman, JUST because they were a woman if I disagreed with her positions. I don't know why I said that - I guess I got carried away, but it's not true, you're right.

If anything, I think sometimes I'm MORE incensed by women or black candidates whose views I find hard to grasp. I acknowledge that that's not fair, but I guess I think, "Whhhaaat? You of all people should know better." Or maybe some part of me feels that they are being traitors to the experience of their own people or exploiting their circumstance and that makes me more angry at them, which again, is not exactly fair.

Frankly, I often feel that with many Jewish conservatives (Republican and Conservative Jews aren't all that common) because as a minority that has been discriminated/killed for their religion and who may have experienced anti-semitism themselves, again, I feel that they should know better.

With white male candidates with whom I don't agree or find any strand of view in common, I guess I'm hardened at this point and don't expect them to change (sadly). I kind of unconsciously roll my eyes and think 'what an entitled white man' and keep moving forward to things I *can* try to change. (Honestly, sometimes their wives seem put together and smart and not as draconian and I think, 'how did you end up with HIM?')

magnoliaparadise
11-02-2018, 12:33 PM
Chris Sacca (part-time shark on Shark Tank, highly successful investor, formerly on Obama's technology team and hardcore Dem) recently wrote a blog post on how best to help Dems win in the upcoming elections and help democracy survive. After fully vetting numerous organizations, he made a decision on where to donate his own time and $ and he provides several recommendations https://medium.com/@sacca/how-you-can-help-us-save-democracy-d3bd6516ffac.

Interesting, thanks. I'll read this.

And as a former Shark Tank fanatic, I had to go and look this name up. I do remember him as a guest on some of the shows. I never found him as entertaining as the other Shark Tank people - but MUCH kinder, which was nice.

HannaAddict
11-04-2018, 02:35 AM
We max out to many candidates in key races and have donated to occasional moderate, sane Republicans but that is few and far between (or really non-existent) these days. This year I donated to far more races outside our state, not maxing out though, especially where strong women or people of color were running or decent candidates were running in areas where Dems haven’t even tried to run for years (looking at you Mississippi!). If we don’t win, we will at least start to build for next time vs just giving up. I’ve donated to swing-left and we donate to the DNC as well. Crossing fingers for some strong showings next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azzeps
11-05-2018, 03:35 AM
We donate via Act Blue to individual campaigns in other states. Democrats in our state do pretty well. You should see our bank statement every month.... "ActBlue" "ActBlue" "ActBlue".... oh and also the campaign mail we now receive from all over the country!