PDA

View Full Version : Fraud help

ray7694
11-01-2018, 07:00 PM
I’m in charge of my gma financial care. She had an annuity setup for care when she would need it. She is now home bound and needs care. I contacted the life company and her account had multiple withdraws made from 96 to 2012. The account is now closed with nothing in it. They indicated she signed the forms and the check was mailed to her home. She was in complete good health. She is still mentally ok but needs physical care. She only recalls one withdraw for 3500. Her account had 76,000.

I’m completely shocked by all of this and can’t understand it. She has always lived very frugally. We do have family members who have stolen in the past. I just can’t wrap my head around how they could do it

Is there a way this could have been done fraudulently? I’m having them research the signature and bank deposits but that is going to take time.

Any thoughts?

jgenie
11-01-2018, 07:37 PM
I don’t have any advice but I want to say I’m sorry this happened. I hope they’re able to figure out where the money went.

TwinFoxes
11-01-2018, 08:00 PM
That's a period of 22 years. For someone who's still mentally fine I find it hard to believe that there were a series of withdrawals without her noticing on her statement. I'm not saying that none of them are fraudulent, but there's also a possibility that she withdrew a little here and a little there. $76,000 over 22 years isn't really that much. I think rather than fraud, the chances are some family member(s) were hitting her up with sob stories and she was giving them cash. I know someone this happened to...well, actually to her elderly relative. My acquaintance caught on and managed to put a stop to it before too much damage was done. I would start with the most recent withdrawals. I don't know what the statute of limitations is for fraud, but even if it's 22 years, it will be hard to track down those records. Maybe go to an elder advocate, a lot of counties and municipalities have them. Good luck, I hope you can recover the funds.

mom2binsd
11-01-2018, 09:42 PM
It happens all the time, often a grandchild or niece or nephew, probably with debt or addiction issue (substance, gambling, shopping), or just greed. Don't leave anyone out who had access.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk