PDA

View Full Version : Question about passing down clothing between sisters

TwoBees
11-01-2018, 09:00 PM
If you have more than 1 girl, or if you have a sister, do you/did you pass down underwear and socks from the older to the younger sister(s)? It is totally weird to do so? I mean for younger girls, 10 and under.

georgiegirl
11-01-2018, 09:02 PM
I don’t have 2 girls, but DD handed down everything to a neighbor girl (who’s like my 4th child), and she loves wearing DD’s underwear and now bras. But you can buy new if you want.

ETA: I’ve passed down underwear between my boys

scrooks
11-01-2018, 09:04 PM
Not for girls but I have passed down undies between my boys.

doberbrat
11-01-2018, 09:07 PM
yes everything in good condition gets handed down.

jgenie
11-01-2018, 09:10 PM
My DC liked different style undies and socks so those weren’t handed down. I saved them but didn’t end up using them.

KpbS
11-01-2018, 09:29 PM
Boys but yes, hand me down socks (if they survived) and unders. They shared socks for several years and will again most likely in a year or so.

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2018, 09:33 PM
Boys here but everything gets passed down. If ds2 complained then I'd buy new but he has no complaints and I see no reason why those items can't be shared. You'd assume the laundry gets them clean enough every time, right? :)

ang79
11-01-2018, 10:08 PM
Two girls here, everything gets passed down, but sometimes new is bought too (when the others wear out/get holes!). When they were younger DD2 looked forward to getting DD1's princess socks and undies. I figure the wash gets everything clean. I wouldn't use them passed down from someone else, but between sisters it seems OK.

Neatfreak
11-02-2018, 06:43 AM
Yes to all the bralettes, and I keep the old underwear around as spares, so some does inevitably find it's way into regular rotation for my younger girl. And I send the handed down underwear to summer camp because I don't care if those pairs go missing!

JBaxter
11-02-2018, 06:45 AM
Yes to underwear & socks if they survive.

klwa
11-02-2018, 07:05 AM
We pass down underwear, but generally the socks have seen better days, so they aren't as likely to get passed down.

Honestly, my SIL gives us bags of clothes from my niece, and the first time I opened one & found underwear (clean) in it, I was totally squicked out. But DD1 LOVED those underpants at 2 and thought they were the coolest. So, I washed them again (I do it with all the clothes because i can't deal with their detergent) and put them in her drawers. After doing that, heck if I was worried about passing them down to DD2. :ROTFLMAO: Now I've passed training pants and other underwear, well cleaned, down to my younger nephew without a second thought.

Dream
11-02-2018, 01:34 PM
I have 2 DDs, I passed down everything except underwear and bras.

marymoo86
11-02-2018, 01:52 PM
I try to! DD2 is a hipster girl while DD1 is a classics. They are built a little differently so had to go with that. Socks if in good condition no issue.

carolinamama
11-02-2018, 03:55 PM
I pass down both socks and underwear from DS1 to DS2. I wash and dry. After 13 years of parenting, I've seen far grosser things that hasn't caused them to bat an eyelash.

hillview
11-02-2018, 07:56 PM
Not for girls but I have passed down undies between my boys.
:yeahthat:

american_mama
11-03-2018, 12:50 AM
I've asked this question before. Everyone has an opinion, I've learned.... my favorite was from the mom who was an only child who had an only child who was a boy.... when I asked about sisters passing down.

Anyway, I'm one of two sisters and I have two daughters, aged 13 and 16. My sister and I shared one drawer for undies and one drawer for socks in a shared bedroom, so I am positive we shared all through high school. We are slightly different sizes, but I guess close enough that we just didn't care. This is unappealing to me now, but did not bother me then.

TO my surprise, the situation is the same for my daughters. Shared bedroom, each have their own drawers, but underwear is put randomly in one girl's drawer vs. the other. I have tried buying different brand or sizes for each girl, or patterns for one and solids for the other, but we never seem to keep track so it all ends up blended. They don't have a preference about underwear style, so I just buy what I think will be comfortable on them. Since they don't seem to care about separation, I decided I don't either. They are different sizes, but the bigger one doesn't seem to care if her underwear is a little small.

They don't share pants or pajamas because of sizing and preferences, and they rarely share shirts although they often could. But they've never cared about underwear or socks.

Sounds yucky, but works for them and worked for me at their age, and that's all that matters.

essnce629
11-03-2018, 01:35 AM
I have 2 boys and DS2 currently has some of DS1s HA unders that he wears. Those things last forever so I see no problem. If they were torn or stained they'd be throwing out just like any other piece of clothing.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

niccig
11-03-2018, 02:12 AM
Growing up my mother made a drawer in the sideboard the sock drawer. She got sick of the fights over the “good” socks. She tried different color nail polish on the toe, but we even up with one drawer and you got what was left if you took too long getting ready.

DS will take my black socks if he’s out of socks, but he leaves me the ones with the pink stripe. I bought new black socks and deliberately choose ones with purple and pink in them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)