PDA

View Full Version : Vacation over the Christmas holiday

#2ontheway
11-01-2018, 11:53 PM
We're considering taking a trip over the holidays this year, but part of our hesitance is that our kids (elementary) love being home and celebrating Christmas here. So, if you've traveled over the holidays, especially if you've had big Christmases in the past, how have you navigated this? I'm trying to think about ways we could still make it special, knowing we (obviously) won't be hauling presents with us. I've thought about packing a few smaller but higher impact gifts to open on our journey, perhaps taking a picture of presents that will be waiting at home, and finding special things to do while we are traveling (a church service, concert, etc?).

I'm worried that our plans to take a special family trip will be dampened by kids disappointed to "miss" Christmas. OTOH maybe this is a good opportunity to recalibrate what Christmas is about (being together)?

Would love to hear if you've navigated this.

They are still Santa believers, btw. I'm not big on pushing this but they seem to enjoy the magic still.

georgiegirl
11-01-2018, 11:57 PM
My kids (12, 9, and 5) don’t like traveling over Christmas. They want to be home on Christmas Day. We either travel late on Christmas Day or celebrate Christmas early. We’ve travelled every year (except 2) to see my family in CA over the holiday break. The last two years we left on Christmas Day (like at 5PM), but this year we have to leave on Christmas Eve (it was cheaper), so we will celebrate maybe on the 23rd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

truly scrumptious
11-02-2018, 10:18 AM
We are in the same boat - I prefer to stay home for Xmas with our elementary ages DC. But this year for a number of reasons we are planning to travel internationally. I am planning to bring some smaller personal gifts on the trip (and likely shop while traveling) and have larger "Santa" gifts waiting at home. Hopefully, it will prolong the fun by "wondering" whether Santa visited our home and what he might have left us.
I haven't figured out the details yet, but I"m planning to wrap and prep gifts beforehand and have a friend or family member place them under the tree before we get back.

Philly Mom
11-02-2018, 11:35 AM
We are in the same boat - I prefer to stay home for Xmas with our elementary ages DC. But this year for a number of reasons we are planning to travel internationally. I am planning to bring some smaller personal gifts on the trip (and likely shop while traveling) and have larger "Santa" gifts waiting at home. Hopefully, it will prolong the fun by "wondering" whether Santa visited our home and what he might have left us.
I haven't figured out the details yet, but I"m planning to wrap and prep gifts beforehand and have a friend or family member place them under the tree before we get back.

That's what we did. Our cat sitter moved the presents while we were gone. I have also had Santa arrive on Greek Orthodox Xmas. We are Jews celebrating Xmas though so not sure I would take too much of my advice. This year we are leaving Xmas afternoon.

alootikki
11-02-2018, 11:40 AM
We did this last year - "Santa" brought us plane tickets! We had a great time once we were actually at our destination, but it did make Christmas Eve and day stressful with packing, etc. I missed the leisurely family time of sitting around enjoying new presents and just relaxing. I think if we were to do this again, I would leave on the 26th, or leave on the 22nd and be able to enjoy the actual holiday.

bw52
11-02-2018, 12:24 PM
At our house Santa arrives early to deliver the big presents (play kitchen, bike, etc) the day before or the day we leave. He leaves a note as well as to why the gifts came early. Kids usually write him a note before telling him where we will be on Christmas.

But I do take a lot with us—it’s harder but I want them to get to open on Christmas morning so it’s worth it to me. But we drive. I couldn’t take as much if we flew.

Growing up we always travelled the day after Christmas. We wanted to have Christmas at home. That would be a lot easier but we all love when we get to be with family on Christmas Day.

marinkitty
11-02-2018, 01:39 PM
We are usually traveling. We celebrate when we get home and don't take anything with us. Santa comes while we are away and the kids return home to stuffed stockings and gifts under the tree. Whether that's December 27 or January 4 it has always still felt like Christmas Day to us. We are always having so much fun on our trips that we don't miss it being a little late. We typically go to warm weather destinations so you honestly don't even feel like its Christmas. Last year we happened to be home for the first time in about five years on the actual day. The kids were really jazzed about it, but then after that fact they said it actually doesn't really matter when we celebrate - it felt like usual. I was glad to hear it as we are gone again this year and now the pressure is off - we'll celebrate January 5th!

123LuckyMom
11-02-2018, 02:06 PM
We haven’t travelled over the holiday since the kids were tiny, but we start celebrating Christmas on the 25th and keep celebrating it for all 12 days until Epiphany (January 6th). I think it would be rare that we’d travel beyond the 6th. If we were traveling on Christmas Day, I’d let the trip be the gift for Christmas Day and have the presents under the tree for when we got home. Even at home we always save at least one gift for Epiphany/Three Kings, and we always do lots of fun activities as part of celebrating Christmas during that vacation week between Christmas and New Year’s. Maybe you could introduce or re-emphasize the 12 days aspect of Christmas to your kids and celebrate during the later part of the holiday. You could do small gifts that can travel well on Christmas Day and leave the bulk for Epiphany/Three Kings day. I’m pretty sure that Santa, knowing that we were traveling, would deliver our gifts to our home. He wouldn’t want to burden us with having to bring gifts home on the plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

jgenie
11-02-2018, 03:21 PM
We generally travel on the 26th. Kids get to play with their presents for a bit then we leave. When we return it’s like Christmas all over again with all the new loot.

lizzywednesday
11-02-2018, 03:32 PM
Since before DD, we've traveled on Christmas Day. There are pros and cons to it (costs can be lower but the plane is usually packed, etc.) but she kind of expects it now. She is also still into Santa.

What kind of stinks about it is how it impacts Christmas Day - we have to open gifts and then it's rush-rush-rush some years, especially if we're headed over to his parents' or his brother's homes for brunch.

I don't think I'd willingly travel on/before Christmas Eve, though, unless I could convince DH and MIL to scale back on their idea of Christmas (to them, it's meant a ton of "stuff" but I'm hopeful that will change.)

#2ontheway
11-03-2018, 12:31 AM
Really appreciate all the thoughts. We'd definitely be gone for Christmas through New Year's (because of work schedules). I like the idea of having presents ready upon our return. Also really like the idea of exploring the epiphany concept. Our kids have loved being home on Christmas (and I have too) but this is a great opportunity and perhaps a good time to learn about flexibility and finding joy and celebration in other ways.

jenmcadams
11-03-2018, 11:26 AM
It's definitely tougher when the kids are younger. We did it once when the kids were 2nd & 4th grade and then stayed home for several years. After my husband passed away, we started traveling at Xmas because it was just easier. We typically consider the trip our main present and do stockings wherever we are. Most years we're at our destination on Xmas, but this year we fly out early in the morning. My kids are teens now though so the volume of presents has definitely decreased