PDA

View Full Version : Would you give to your DC's school class under these circumstances?

magnoliaparadise
11-02-2018, 12:46 PM
My kids are in a new school and the PTA raises money, mostly through activities and membership to the PTA.

The PTA also asks for direct classroom contributions (I think anywhere between $15 - $60, so a wide range!).

I have given in the past, and intended to this year, but had not gotten around to giving yet. I am a class parent this year and was surprised when it came up that although only a third of our class families had donated, we had already reached much more than the amount we needed. I think we have approx $400 and we only need $250 for the year (per class, not per grade - ie so each teacher's class raises this much). The $250 includes an annual school project and a capped class gift to the teacher for the holidays and end of school.

It was decided that since only a third had contributed, we (the class parents) would remind the other families to donate. It was also decided that since we had excess funds (already) we would buy the teacher some extra books from a school event taking place. (She hadn't asked for them).

I found the whole thing kind of odd. It's *not* that I mind giving money to the class. I'm happy to. And I normally wouldn't mind us sending an email asking for more money if two-thirds of the families hadn't gotten around to donating. But... if we have already received more than the amount that we can use for the things we needed the money for - the teacher gifts and projects - it feels funny to ask people for more. And honestly, I'm not crazy about giving more myself if the money is not needed. I'd like to think that my money goes to a cause that really needs it.

So... I'm not sure now whether to give to either of my kids' classes this year. And there is another fund for graduating elementary school kids' activities that I will probably give to, but again, I'm now also questioning how much of the money really is needed and used for that!

I don't know where the money goes if not used by the end of the year. I guess it gets rolled over? I should ask.

Anyway, I'm wondering if you give to your class specifically and how much.
And if you have run into circumstances where you feel that your money to the school, PTA or class isn't been used in a way that you intended or really 'needed' at least in how the PTA set out their budget/projects/hoped acquisitions in the current year.

candaceb
11-02-2018, 01:34 PM
I would not donate. I am on the PTO Board as an at-large member, and see what our budget is and how much money is spent. I have not donated this year. I am going to wait until the spring fun run.
Our room parents are limited to asking for $5 for the class and $5 for teacher gifts because we are a former Title 1 school, and all the low income kids are still in the school but they added 400 kids when it became a magnet school.

In your case, I think I'd take the amount of money you had planned on donating to the class and give it to an at-risk school, refugees, or some other place where it is actually needed.

At a minimum the room parents should be talking to the teacher before soliciting additional funds to see if there are things that are actually needed - like could your surplus fund a field trip? If the teacher has no needs, the parents who didn't contribute yet are off the hook.

georgiegirl
11-02-2018, 01:34 PM
I’ve never heard of giving money to a classroom as part of the yearly expenses. Here teachers have wishlists (laminating sheets, post it notes, dry erase markers, etc), and parents can donate that way. When DD was in K, the teacher did a donors choose website to raise money for an expensive easel for the classroom and I donated to that. Or you donate supplies for class parties.

ETA: everyone is supposed to give $3 for class parties (total for the year, so $1 a party). So the party planner can buy crafts/supplies, etc. But not everyone does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

squimp
11-02-2018, 01:35 PM
We rarely gave money directly to the class - it usually went to the entire PTO and the school would use it as they saw best. Sometimes we would give funds for targeted things like tech or the library or music/gym equipment. Teachers would get a certain allowance each year for the classroom and it was divided equitably between classes. What would the teacher do with the extra funds? I would trust her to use it wisely and possibly save for next year if needed. In my experience, the schools use donated funds very carefully.

I have done a lot of school fundraising and for most activities, usually about half the families donated. Even with volunteer coaches, etc., not everyone donates.

anonomom
11-02-2018, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't rule out donating, but before I did, I'd like to know if there's actually anything the teacher needs for her class. If they're just raising more because it bothers them that such a small proportion of parents contributed, there are ways to remedy that next year (with, as PPs suggested, a specific request for a set amount). But if they set an overall goal, it doesn't matter if 5 people donated to reach it or 25.

One of my PTA peeves is that no amount of money ever seems to be enough. My philosophy tends to be that you should set a fundraising goal, and once that goal is met, no more fundraising, full stop. I understand the concept that there's always something that the extra money could be spent on, but if people want that badly to contribute, they will do so whether or not we have a 10th spirit night this year.

123LuckyMom
11-02-2018, 04:11 PM
Our PTO works differently. We give each classroom a set amount each year for the teachers to use for special projects. We also give a set amount for additional school supplies so that families do not have to purchase supplies. Teachers can also request additional funds if something exciting comes up. When there are special field trips or events that require specific fundraisers (like a special 3rd grade field trip), the PTO gives seed money for the fundraiser, and the profits are used to pay for the trip. If the fundraiser doesn’t make enough, the PTO supplements. If the fundraiser makes a larger profit, the PTO keeps that money for future need. In other words, the PTO has a large budget and works to distribute things fairly, but everything comes from one big pot and isn’t individual to a single classroom or grade. Our big fundraisers are generally school-wide, not by classroom. It’s much better that way. Parents don’t constantly feel nickel and dimed, everyone gets what they need, and struggling families don’t need to pay for anything school-related. The PTO will pay for field trip costs, instrument rentals, snacks, school supplies. It’s great, and everyone knows they are supporting the whole school population when they make donations. It’s never just about your class or your kid. In your case, I wouldn’t donate. Your class has what you needed, and nobody’s asked for additional items. If you had the one-pot method, I’d feel differently, but not for a single classroom that’s already stocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

HannaAddict
11-02-2018, 05:12 PM
As a class parent, I would donate. I would not be a free rider if I had the means to donate. But I would want clarification and to see what the governing docs say about excess funds, who decides, what the need is, etc. I think there is probably always a need for money for enrichment that benefits the class, grade or school. Here the first ones to give our the board of trustees,
Staff, faculty and PA and I’d never want to ask someone to donate when I hadn’t kicked in myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwinFoxes
11-02-2018, 11:48 PM
Our PTA has never collected money in this way, and I think it's kind of weird.

It was decided that since only a third had contributed, we (the class parents) would remind the other families to donate. It was also decided that since we had excess funds (already) we would buy the teacher some extra books from a school event taking place. (She hadn't asked for them).

Decided by whom?

I find it odd that people kept track of who donated. But maybe that's common. Fund raising goals here are for the whole school, not by grade, and certainly not by classroom. The PTA does do classroom gifts, but we ask the teachers what they want, we don't just randomly decide "they need these books." Like some teachers do want books, others want flexible seating options, others have even requested fees for a conference. If I were you'd I'd clarify things.

But, in the end, I'd donate.

DualvansMommy
11-03-2018, 12:01 AM
I’ve never heard of giving money to a classroom as part of the yearly expenses. Here teachers have wishlists (laminating sheets, post it notes, dry erase markers, etc), and parents can donate that way. When DD was in K, the teacher did a donors choose website to raise money for an expensive easel for the classroom and I donated to that. Or you donate supplies for class parties.

ETA: everyone is supposed to give $3 for class parties (total for the year, so $1 a party). So the party planner can buy crafts/supplies, etc. But not everyone does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We do at our school district, give money to the class parent for class parties, extra fun events sponsored by class parents, fun supplies for said parties and events. It’s usually a specific set amount for the minimum which is 10 bucks per student, more is welcome but not mandatory. We also buy the teachers supplies from her wish list and it’s usually stuff like wipes, ziploc bags, tissue boxes, and items from dollar store for the reward system. The rest is provided by the school.

So our PTO fundraise money for school wide events like movie sponsored nights, spring events, and one more event. The classroom or by grade events are sponsored by each classroom parents. It worked well for us. In your case, I would not ask for more money especially after knowing there’s nothing more specific stuff or things the teacher wants to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WitMom
11-03-2018, 02:04 PM
I’d donate. If you werent a room parent, you wouldn’t have the background scoop and you’d donate, so just do it. Why should the families that already donated have to “carry the load” for everyone else? And why does it matter if they’ve already met their goal? Maybe they set the goal low so they could reach it, but in reality, wanted more. Who knows? Very few schools have “more than they need”, so I’m sure they’ll be able to use it somewhere.