PDA

View Full Version : Home renovation philosophy/advice

basil
11-03-2018, 01:02 PM
We moved into this house 3 years ago. When we bought it, it was most definitely not my taste. It was built in 2009 and is very traditional in style. Actually, I think the people that built it had pretty bad taste. Either that or didn't put much thought into it. I made a big compromise because DH really liked this location, inventory was low, and DH didn't want to rent and move twice.

I've been slowly doing minor updates like paint, and decorating with curtains, rugs, new furniture, art, etc. We redid the fireplace in the family room (it had carved lions in it) and added built-ins in another room. I still have a ways to go, and certain areas I haven't even touched (like the master bedroom).

The room that bothers me the most is the kitchen. It was clearly expensive to do, and it's not poor quality, but IMO, so ugly. The granite is sort of orange/gold fleck and the fabricator didn't do it nicely - the seam is very prominent and the sink cutout is uneven. The backsplash is mostly rough travertine but with a pink tone that really clashes with the orange in the granite. And there is a weird silver mirror diamond thing above the stove. I don't get it!

I've been bugging DH about replacing the backsplash...but the more I think about it, the more I should just do all the counters. I could get something lighter in color and brighten up the whole room. I could get a new sink (I hate the one I have) and mount the faucet normally and centered in front of the window. But obviously that's a lot of money and (of course) DH thinks that there is no reason to replace a perfectly functional counter.

Do you renovate your home for style? Do you feel guilty about tossing something that was pricey even if it's not your taste? At what point do you consider renovation to be "worth it"? Would you want this backsplash out of your life? We don't intend to move until the kids are in college...

Attaching a pic of the weird mirror backsplash

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2018, 01:14 PM
I would feel very guilty trashing something just because I didn't like it. But, I would be fine donating it! We have an entire store filled with old kitchen cabinets, counters and such that people can go and reclaim. I think that is so much better for the environment and much less wasteful. So, I am a-ok replacing functional items for ones I like more so long as done thoughtfully vs just slinging a sledgehammer at it and tossing it in a dumpster. :)
I would do your counters. I think they sound like the real problem. 1 thing can change everything. We redid our floors in our old house and I hadn't realized how much they'd transform the space. Heck, I just painted a hallway and I hated the carpet so, so much before that and now I actually don't mind the carpet at all! I'd gone from wanting to desperately replace the carpeting to have it totally off of the to-do list! Saved thousands!

FYI- they make some extremely simple stick on back splashes at Lowes (we are doing our bathroom so took a stroll). You can just go for a temporary fix on the back splash while you think about a big investment. In person, they really do look pretty realistic! https://www.lowes.com/pd/Peel-Stick-Mosaics-Peel-and-Stick-Stacked-Travertine-Linear-Mosaic-Travertine-Wall-Tile-Common-12-in-x-12-in-Actual-11-69-in-x-10-83-in/1000374219 https://www.lowes.com/pd/Peel-Stick-Mosaics-Peel-and-Stick-LIGHT-SILK-Composite-Linear-Mosaic-Wall-Tile-Common-10-in-x-10-in-Actual-9-81-in-x-10-in/1000196465

basil
11-03-2018, 01:28 PM
Can you donate granite? If so, that would make me feel less guilty if I knew it were going to good use.

AngB
11-03-2018, 01:32 PM
Can you donate granite? If so, that would make me feel less guilty if I knew it were going to good use.

I am sure you could! If nothing else, post it on FB buy/sell/trade groups. I would charge a tiny bit for it, like $20, just because people are obnoxious over free stuff. Unless you find somewhere to donate.

Habitat for Humanity has "ReStore stores" that will give you a tax receipt for any donations. https://www.habitat.org/restores and some of them may even pick up for you.

twowhat?
11-03-2018, 01:46 PM
We ran into the same issue with our kitchen. Terrible beige backsplash, and our granite is black and brown (described as "tan brown" at Home Depot, but thankfully it's on the darker side). It was just too expensive to re-do the counters so we settled for replacing the backsplash and painting the cabinets. I'm really happy with the results - HUGE difference with cabinets painted!!

Your counters are actually pretty (my opinion) and I think your kitchen would look AMAZING if you painted the lower cabinets navy (would look so cool with the golds in the counters), the uppers white, and replaced the backsplash!

eta: I would not replace your counters without also replacing your backsplash...the counters are so much more expensive to replace compared to the backsplash that I think if you're going to splurge on new counters, you would be doing yourself a disservice to not also get a new backsplash.

And yes, we renovate for style! Our downstairs bathrooms had green marble floors...those had to go.

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2018, 01:49 PM

Yep! There are always slabs at our local re-use shop and at ReStore, as pp mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

basil
11-03-2018, 01:59 PM
Yes I would definitely replace the backsplash when I did the counters...it would open up a lot more choices not to be trying to match the current counters.

I love white cabinets and painted cabinets...I had a combo of grey/green and white in my kitchen in my old house that we built. With white quartz counters. Miss that house. These are pretty in their own way but nothing I would have picked. Not sure I can justify a paint job over this nice cherry though.

basil
11-03-2018, 02:02 PM
Playing with the cambria app in that rare moment while both kids nap.

westwoodmom04
11-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Playing with the cambria app in that rare moment while both kids nap.

I think you need to go a bit darker (or warmer) with the countertop if you are keeping the cherry. The white looks too stark.

doberbrat
11-03-2018, 03:41 PM
Ultimately, doesnt almost everyone renovate for "style"? Appliances wear out and "need" to be replaced but by your theory, there's no need to replace those 1950s orange counters.

FWIW, I think the counters are fine and would get rid of the backsplash. That could be a workable compromise between you & your dh.

Those peel & sick tiles at Lowes are really nice looking. Not sure they'll match w/a granite countertop in terms of finish quality

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2018, 03:53 PM
Ultimately, doesnt almost everyone renovate for "style"? Appliances wear out and "need" to be replaced but by your theory, there's no need to replace those 1950s orange counters.

FWIW, I think the counters are fine and would get rid of the backsplash. That could be a workable compromise between you & your dh.

Those peel & sick tiles at Lowes are really nice looking. Not sure they'll match w/a granite countertop in terms of finish quality

They definitely wouldn't be on par with granite but just for a look, they'll work. If OP hates that section above the stove so much, it would be an easy, temporary update. Temporary is my goal with that suggestion. :)

twowhat?
11-03-2018, 04:02 PM
https://thedecorologist.com/best-granite-countertops-for-cherry-cabinets/

Cambria makes a Britannica gold option - check that out. The warm undertones would work better with your cherry cabinets but IMO it wouldn't change the look very much from your existing light countertops with gold undertones. You definitely need something with a warm undertone since your cherry has a good bit of red in it.

If you're planning on replacing the backsplash anyway, the peel-and-stick is not a bad idea. It would be a cheap and temporary way to see if you can make the whole look come together better with your existing countertops and cabinets. If you try this I would try a warn neutral (creamy white) or a warm gray (but a light gray, not dark).

Another options is to paint your tile backsplash...seems you don't have too much of it anyway. Painting it sounds crazy but look on Pinterest...so many people have gotten dramatic effects just by painting their backsplashes! It's another cheap, temporary option to try a new look.

jgenie
11-03-2018, 04:44 PM
I think you should do what makes you happy! You can afford to redo the kitchen. Redo it! If you’re hesitant to spend the money on a total redo, you are certainly justified in replacing some aspects to make you happier with the space.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

DualvansMommy
11-03-2018, 05:33 PM
I think you should do what makes you happy! You can afford to redo the kitchen. Redo it! If you’re hesitant to spend the money on a total redo, you are certainly justified in replacing some aspects to make you happier with the space.

That is my thinking too. Especially when you said you’ve no plans to move until kids are in college, and your kids are same age as ours! So that is a LONG time of living with things you don’t like.

We bought our house similar way as you did; low inventory, high prices, and were very set on specific locations in town too. We hated the kitchen and our master bathroom when we bought our home and already knew we’ll be living here for long time barring few circumstances. So we renovated our bathroom few months after closing since it was much more reasonable than a kitchen renovation! We lived with the ugly and poor functional of our kitchen for 5 more years until we renovated it.

If you can afford to do the redo, and know of a place who will gladly take your existing countertops, cabinets, etc then a win win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

robinsmommy
11-03-2018, 09:08 PM
Having a sink you don’t like is a big deal to me, if you cook a lot or do a lot of dishes.

I would probably look at replacing counter and backsplash.

smiles33
11-03-2018, 09:19 PM
OP: we lived in our past house for over 10 years with many elements I detested but I kept telling myself, "But it's functional!" We had carpet in the master bathroom by the bathtub (brand new carpet when we moved in, but still!), purple/magenta vinyl floors in the bathrooms, tile kitchen counters (with broken brown grout!), a white porcelain kitchen sink with noticeable dings/chips, and hideous purple painted walls with the "faux finish" sponge technique featuring yellow, teal, and other weird colors. I know. I cringe just typing it out.

Anyhow, when we decided to sell, we finally fixed all these things. The stunning new granite counters, new stainless steel sink, the beautiful wood floors, tile bathroom floors, and off-white paint actually made me think, "Wow, do we really want to move?" It truly transformed how I felt about the house.

So my advice is to consider investing in changing things that will make you happier! Start with things that will make the biggest impact. Good luck!

Kindra178
11-03-2018, 10:25 PM
I would paint those cabinets in a hot second! Your kitchen is your most used section of your home. For a few thousand (under 5k), painted cabinets would change the whole look for better. Re painting over that lovely cherry, what does it matter? And that cherry isn’t turn of the century old growth wood (which would be a shame to paint over!!), but simply nice 9 year old cherry cabs.

Peaches Keane
11-03-2018, 10:31 PM

There is a company called Green Demolitions that recycles stuff like this. They have a website but I can’t get it to load to link. If you google “green demolitions” you might have luck.

georgiegirl
11-03-2018, 10:47 PM
My DH feels similarly. Our kitchen is dated (mid-90s), but it has top of the line materials. High quality solid oak cabinets and dark granite counters. I so want to paint the cabinets white.

Of you have the money, go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bisous
11-04-2018, 11:38 AM
So that tile that is on your backsplash is on my master bathroom floor and I really dislike it. It is probably the single newest thing in my house. So for reference I have formica from the 60s on my counters and while I'd love some beautiful marble or quartzite, I don't hate the formica as much as I dislike the tile, lol.

I do think it is possible to renovate in such a way that it has lasting and broad appeal. I don't think it is possible to make anything truly timeless but I think if there is an effort to make the style go with the architecture and feeling of the house, if good quality and aesthetically pleasing choices are made, and if you have good light, I think you can enjoy a kitchen for a very long time. In your case, if you have the means I think it would be worth it to make it to your taste and would be smart to do it in such a way that it is certain to add lasting value and beauty.

AnnieW625
11-04-2018, 12:21 PM
I think you need to go a bit darker (or warmer) with the countertop if you are keeping the cherry. The white looks too stark.

Yes to the need for darker countertops if you want grain in them. If you want plain with no grain then I think you could do white or cream. For cabinets for being “only 9 year old cherry” look too nice to be painted over, but that is just me looking at an online photo vs. seeing them in real life. The trim on them also says classic cherry to me. I would rather tear them out and start with something new if I truly wanted new cabinets, and that was the focal point of my problem; but in your case it is the back splash. (I don’t like the backsplash either....let me guess your house has an overall Mediterranean or Tuscan style to it?)

I would work with an interior designer or kitchen designer to see if there is anyway to improve the backsplash without ripping out all of the granite, but if you weren’t going to rip out all of the granite I would want to see what it would look like with the new backsplash and countertop on the current cabinets (using a program like what they use on design on design shows). I found this by google searching cherry cabinets and counter tops.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.kitchenmagic.com/blog/bid/168228/what-countertop-color-looks-best-with-cherry-cabinets%3fhs_amp=true

I do have to say I have medium brown cabinets (which I hate, but that is a whole other post that could hijack this one) with black granite and and I have grown to love my black granite over the 13 years we have been in our house. We are looking to redo our kitchen next summer in order to sell in 2020 and I am not sure if we will go with black granite again only because it seems to not be trendy now.

HannaAddict
11-04-2018, 12:42 PM
That is my thinking too. Especially when you said you’ve no plans to move until kids are in college, and your kids are same age as ours! So that is a LONG time of living with things you don’t like.

We bought our house similar way as you did; low inventory, high prices, and were very set on specific locations in town too. We hated the kitchen and our master bathroom when we bought our home and already knew we’ll be living here for long time barring few circumstances. So we renovated our bathroom few months after closing since it was much more reasonable than a kitchen renovation! We lived with the ugly and poor functional of our kitchen for 5 more years until we renovated it.

If you can afford to do the redo, and know of a place who will gladly take your existing countertops, cabinets, etc then a win win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This exactly. If you can afford to do it, do it. We spend large amounts of time in the kitchen and you are planning on keeping the house for years. Enjoy it, get rid of all of it if it makes you happy and financially feasible. It isn’t like you just moved in and instantly dumped it. You’ve lived there for years. We have a kitchen many would love but the finishes aren’t our favorite. Only reason we haven’t redone it is we are not sure if we will sell it and move or build. If I knew I was staying, I’d redo it now. Good luck! I’ve also seen painted cabinets make a huge change to the look. Friends listed their $6m house but the super high quality custom cabinets in mahogany aged the house. They spent $$ having great paint job done white and it brought the kitchen into the current time period and was an amazing difference. I wouldn’t keep the cherry just because it’s cherry.

azzeps
11-05-2018, 04:00 AM
If the cabinets are in good shape, paint them! When we moved into our 1992 house 11 years ago, the first thing we did was address the kitchen. We got a bigger island, but the layout stayed the same, and almost all the same cabinetry (save one end piece to accommodate wider ovens). It saves a lot on a full gut job renovation!

I don't think your backsplash is all that bad. I kind of like that tile! (Not the shiny stuff, the travertine looking stuff) Maybe you could hang a large plate/art piece over the shiny stuff? My parents re-did their kitchen and messed up the accent behind their stove, so they covered it up by hanging a fabulous ceramic piece from Italy. I guess if Mediterranean isn't your style, that wouldn't work for you.

Definitely update so that you can love your home if you're planning to stay that long!

smilequeen
11-05-2018, 11:27 AM
If you are staying there, make the kitchen what you will love. Donate what you get rid of. Plenty of places will take old granite. It can be used in another kitchen, remnants can be used for bathrooms, etc.

Don't keep the cherry color if it's not you. It definitely does not go with the countertops you love, so paint them or do a complete redesign (I would lean towards this unless a. it's too much money for you or b. the layout of the kitchen works really well for you as is). Whatever you can afford. Your old stuff doesn't have to go to waste.

I'm not even that much of a cook, but I spend SO much time in my kitchen anyway. I had to love it and I do.

div_0305
11-05-2018, 04:46 PM
I daydream about re-doing the kitchen in the house we bought recently. The granite is black with some dark green spots. I hate it. The cabinets were painted over, and either done poorly or it's not supposed to last. I see places where it's chipping. The layout sucks, too. But the appliances are high-end and it would be really $$ to re-do it the way I want it. I know open-concept isn't as trendy as it's been the past decade or more, but I still prefer it as a style, and re-doing the kitchen would require completely gutting it to make it open-concept. As a compromise, I'd love to change out the granite, but there's so much of it and I'd still be stuck with a layout I don't care for.