PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Savings Time! Love it? Hate it? I'm voting on it!

bisous
11-05-2018, 10:25 AM
California has a ballot proposal that will not (I hope!) get too political to discuss here in the lounge.

There is a measure that will keep Daylight Savings Time year round. Since the clocks just "fell back" yesterday, I thought this was a timely subject. DS3 woke up at 5:15 this morning. So I'm voting yes. Our ballot study group, mostly comprised of parents of young kids was unanimously in favor as well. On the other hand I have a friend who suffers from depression and she's worried it will pass. She would prefer to keep Standard Time year round with more light in the mornings. My stepmom actually likes switching back and forth between the two.

What are your thoughts?

Do you like switching?

Do you want to keep one schedule? Do you prefer Standard (more light in the morning) or Daylight Savings (more light in the evening)?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

georgiegirl
11-05-2018, 10:38 AM
Keep daylight savings year round! I prefer light evenings to light mornings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

123LuckyMom
11-05-2018, 10:42 AM
I just hate having to adjust to a change. I think I have a preference for light in the mornings rather than light later in the day, but I don’t think I care as long as there’s no changing!!! I despise this shifting. It throws all our rhythms out of whack and makes everything harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

JBaxter
11-05-2018, 10:43 AM
I dont care what the leave it but LEAVE IT ALONE

AnnieW625
11-05-2018, 10:45 AM
I voted no. My DD2 is not a morning person and often associates light at night time with not wanting to go to bed so I find it is easier to get her to go to bed when it is dark at 8 pm vs. just getting dark at 8 pm. I am sure the proposition is going to pass though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwinFoxes
11-05-2018, 10:48 AM
My kids have a very late bell time (after 9am) and they don't get home until after 4pm. So I'd vote for year round I guess. But I also think it will be more of a pain than people think to have a different time than the rest of the west coast. But California is so big, maybe everyone else will follow suit. :) (And yes, I know AZ doesn't observe DST. Except the reservations which makes things even more difficult.)

vonfirmath
11-05-2018, 10:59 AM
California has a ballot proposal that will not (I hope!) get too political to discuss here in the lounge.

There is a measure that will keep Daylight Savings Time year round. Since the clocks just "fell back" yesterday, I thought this was a timely subject. DS3 woke up at 5:15 this morning. So I'm voting yes. Our ballot study group, mostly comprised of parents of young kids was unanimously in favor as well. On the other hand I have a friend who suffers from depression and she's worried it will pass. She would prefer to keep Standard Time year round with more light in the mornings. My stepmom actually likes switching back and forth between the two.

What are your thoughts?

Do you like switching?

Do you want to keep one schedule? Do you prefer Standard (more light in the morning) or Daylight Savings (more light in the evening)?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

If I had my druthers, I'd like to stay on Daylight Savings Time year round -- yes. I know its just shifting daylight hours vs dark hours, but I prefer my daylight hours in the evening to in the morning. We go to the park more, play outside on bikes more, etc when there is light at night. When there is light in the morning -- we go to school/work/etc anyway.

(Though it was nice getting up this morning and having the kids wait for the bus in the light instead of the dark! And maybe that will decrease the car-hitting-kids-waiting for the bus accident streak we've had of late)

But I'd vote for Daylight Savings Time year round, yes.

(My in-laws are in Arizona. So we have to calculate the time difference different at different times of the year. But we manage)

gymnbomb
11-05-2018, 11:06 AM
My parents used to live in Arizona and loved that their time never changed. They didn't love that because everyone else's did they had to keep track of different time differences from us different times of year, the news and other shows came on TV at different times different halves of the year, etc. They still liked it staying constant, but wished it did elsewhere too.

mackmama
11-05-2018, 11:09 AM
Definitely Daylight Savings! So nice to have more light in the evenings to enjoy being outside.

ellies mom
11-05-2018, 11:13 AM
I like my daylight in the evening because I’d rather not use the daylight in the morning anyways.

Switching doesn’t bother me. My kids have never had issues with it.

speo
11-05-2018, 11:28 AM
I'm voting no, but I think it will pass.

I can't stand it being so dark in the mornings. I find it truly disorienting. I was so wonderful to wake up to daylight! I'd prefer year-round standard time. Year-round daylight savings time will make it so sunrise is at 8am in December. I would drop my son off at elementary school in the dark!

wendibird22
11-05-2018, 12:08 PM
I'm in the "for the love of god just pick one and stick with it!" camp. I hate that it changes. I used to live in Indy and we didn't change and I loved it.

KrisM
11-05-2018, 12:25 PM
I'm happy with what we are on now, whichever that is. Sunrise last week was 8:15 or so. Not switching would make elementary kids go to school in the dark before Christmas. It's bad enough with the older kids walking in the dark. They will get a couple weeks of not-as-dark now. And in the summer I don't really need it light until 10pm.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

KrisM
11-05-2018, 12:31 PM
I'm happy with what we are on now, whichever that is. Sunrise last week was 8:15 or so. Not switching would make elementary kids go to school in the dark before Christmas. It's bad enough with the older kids walking in the dark. They will get a couple weeks of not-as-dark now. And in the summer I don't really need it light until 10pm.

Sent from my moto x4 using TapatalkSo now is standard time. This is what I'd prefer.

Daylight saving time would have sunrise at 9am on December 21. That's nuts.

Which you prefer probably matters where you are in the time zone. Michigan is west. If I lived in Wisconsin I'd go with being on daylight saving time.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

o_mom
11-05-2018, 12:41 PM
I'm in the "for the love of god just pick one and stick with it!" camp. I hate that it changes. I used to live in Indy and we didn't change and I loved it.

I was never so happy as when they finally adopted DST in IN.

I was so sick of the sun setting by 7:30-8 pm all summer and I do not need the sun to rise at 5:30 am EVER. On the other hand, I would not like to stay on DST all year round because then we would not have sunrise until 9am several months in the winter!

Not to mention the endless headaches with businesses. We had so many missed conference calls because nobody could figure out what time it was everywhere else.

klwa
11-05-2018, 12:46 PM
I hate the switching. But I really don't care too much which way it ends up whether standard or DST. I just want them to quit the switching!

MSWR0319
11-05-2018, 12:48 PM
I'm in OH and I HATE the change. However, I see it as necessary or school hours needs changed. My kids go to school at 7:55. In the last two weeks (before the time changed), there was a crazy amount of kids getting hit and killed by people when they're getting on the bus because it's too dark. I live less than a block from the school and even I was struggling to see kids walking last week. It made me very nervous. Now it's light when we go to school, but it gets dark at 5:30. Which just sucks too. I can't eve imagine it staying light at 8pm in the winter!

ArizonaGirl
11-05-2018, 01:02 PM
Well, I've lived in AZ my whole life and don't really get the switching thing. Yes when I go to work in the morning in the winter it's dark out... So what. Yes in the summer it's light out later... So what.

I wish everyone in the US would just pick a time and go with it, the changing thing is nuts.

GaPeach_in_Ca
11-05-2018, 01:08 PM
I don't think we're actually voting on whether or not to keep DST/time change/whatever since federal law doesn't allow it ... Just voting to allow the state legislature to change it.

A yes vote supports allowing the California State Legislature to (1) change the dates and times of the daylight saving time (DST) period, as consistent with federal law, by a two-thirds vote and (2) establish permanent, year-round DST in California by a two-thirds vote if federal law is changed to allow for permanent DST.1

essnce629
11-05-2018, 01:17 PM
I don't think we're actually voting on whether or not to keep DST/time change/whatever since federal law doesn't allow it ... Just voting to allow the state legislature to change it.

A yes vote supports allowing the California State Legislature to (1) change the dates and times of the daylight saving time (DST) period, as consistent with federal law, by a two-thirds vote and (2) establish permanent, year-round DST in California by a two-thirds vote if federal law is changed to allow for permanent DST.1

Yes, this is correct. I voted yes. But voting yes will not lead to changes anytime soon or possibly ever.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

trcy
11-05-2018, 01:57 PM
I'm in the "for the love of god just pick one and stick with it!" camp. I hate that it changes. I used to live in Indy and we didn't change and I loved it.Me too! I actually prefer daylight savings, but really, just pick something.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

smilequeen
11-05-2018, 02:02 PM
I do not care, but I also wish everyone would just settle on something and be done with it. It's one hour. It might make for one rough day in the spring, but otherwise I barely notice it.

pinkmomagain
11-05-2018, 02:05 PM
Light in the evening please! You're so lucky that you are having the opportunity to vote on this in your state. Wish NY would put it up for a vote.

PZMommy
11-05-2018, 02:31 PM
I rather have my daylight at night.

It’s never had a big effect on my kids. I think the time change is harder on me than it is on them.

KpbS
11-05-2018, 02:59 PM
Yes, please stop changing the time!! I like dark mornings and light in the evenings.

bisous
11-05-2018, 04:20 PM
I really didn't realize that this wouldn't make the change! We went over all the ballot measures at a little party for all of my friends. This was NOT one that got much in depth discussion and nobody mentioned these "small details". There are much more complicated measures on the ballot this time and I guess we spent more time on them.

I guess I'm for picking a time and sticking with it. I do see where people are coming from with relation to school. When I'm honest I prefer the light in the evenings. I don't like to have to bring the kids in at 5pm at night to avoid darkness. I'd love to do family walks after dinner. I have heard that morning light is actually healthier than evening light. That kind of fits with the whole "early to bed, early to rise" proverb of old.

I have on DC, DS3, that takes a full month to adjust to the new time. Maybe that is an exaggeration but not by much. It definitely takes longer than two weeks. That's a lot of time to be "off" per year.

I have a lot of sympathy for kids going to school in the dark though!

div_0305
11-05-2018, 04:22 PM
I used to advocate for DST all year round until I had an early bus schedule. However, even with standard time, in a couple weeks it will go back to being really dark in the morning at bus pickup anyway. So I still lean towards DST all year round. Overall, I just hate the switching. None of us adjust quickly to the switching and it's just an idiotic PITA for us.

ETA: Just saw this informative little posting on BBC: http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20181102-whats-the-real-cost-of-changing-the-clocks

TwinFoxes
11-05-2018, 08:03 PM
Yes, this is correct. I voted yes. But voting yes will not lead to changes anytime soon or possibly ever.

Oh! That explains why I have heard zero about this. I thought maybe my family and friends were just caught up in candidates' races to mention it.

doberbrat
11-05-2018, 10:05 PM
Well, I like it the way it is. The past few weeks we havent been able to pry ourselves out of bed. We absolutely NEEDED the clock set back. otoh, in the summer, we're outside until 8pm or after. I'm a night owl. I do NOT want the sun coming up at 5 when I've gone to sleep at 3 or 4am.

marinkitty
11-05-2018, 10:17 PM
I like it the way it is. Too extreme one way or the other if it never changes. And I don't find the one hour fall back or spring forward to disrupt us for more than a day or two at most.

carolinamama
11-05-2018, 10:26 PM
I wouldn't want to change anything. I've been struggling to get up in the morning and find this fall back almost a relief. Our evenings are darker but don't really change what we do - the boys still have practice ( under lights) and my daughter is at the gym. I may be singing a different tune if my kids were affected by the change but we all adjust quickly.

mommy111
11-05-2018, 10:51 PM
Love DST year round

123LuckyMom
11-05-2018, 10:51 PM
I like it the way it is. Too extreme one way or the other if it never changes. And I don't find the one hour fall back or spring forward to disrupt us for more than a day or two at most.

Really? Wow, you’re lucky! You’d think only one hour wouldn’t be a big deal, but it really messes with my kids, and it takes us weeks to get into a new groove. My 6 year old JUST went to sleep at 9:40pm after having a full hour long meltdown from being overtired. She’ll be a mess tomorrow, and we’ll probably have another bad night. But I can’t put her to bed at 7pm, which is really 8pm and her limit-before-having-a-meltdown hour, because she has an activity that goes until 7, and her brother has one that goes even later, and she doesn’t even get home until 8pm, which is really 9pm and well past the time at which she can easily fall asleep or even hold it together. Even my 10 year old had an overtired crying jag tonight. That single hour slams my kids and causes them to be up really late from overtired upset. I am NOT a fan!!!

marinkitty
11-05-2018, 11:15 PM
Really? Wow, you’re lucky! You’d think only one hour wouldn’t be a big deal, but it really messes with my kids, and it takes us weeks to get into a new groove. My 6 year old JUST went to sleep at 9:40pm after having a full hour long meltdown from being overtired. She’ll be a mess tomorrow, and we’ll probably have another bad night. But I can’t put her to bed at 7pm, which is really 8pm and her limit-before-having-a-meltdown hour, because she has an activity that goes until 7, and her brother has one that goes even later, and she doesn’t even get home until 8pm, which is really 9pm and well past the time at which she can easily fall asleep or even hold it together. Even my 10 year old had an overtired crying jag tonight. That single hour slams my kids and causes them to be up really late from overtired upset. I am NOT a fan!!!

Well, my kids are 11, 13 and 15 now and maybe I have amnesia about it, but honestly I don't really feel like it was a big deal. We had terrible sleepers when they were really little and then one SUPER early riser for years and that was tedious but DST was the least of our issues- LOL.

KrisM
11-05-2018, 11:48 PM
I used to advocate for DST all year round until I had an early bus schedule. However, even with standard time, in a couple weeks it will go back to being really dark in the morning at bus pickup anyway. So I still lean towards DST all year round. Overall, I just hate the switching. None of us adjust quickly to the switching and it's just an idiotic PITA for us.

ETA: Just saw this informative little posting on BBC: http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20181102-whats-the-real-cost-of-changing-the-clocks

But if it was standard all the time, in a couple weeks it would be the first time of dark mornings for the bus. Sept. and Oct. would be in daylight with earlier sunrises. We start to have light for the bus again in mid-Feb., but then lose it after the time changes in March. I think we'd have 2-2.5 months more of daylight bus times than we do now.

My kids get on at 7 and it's one of the latest times in the district. Many kids are on as early as 6am! They are dark nearly the entire school year :(.

JamiMac
11-05-2018, 11:58 PM
I like things exactly like they are now. I like later days in the summer and am used to it being dark earlier in the winter. It was refreshing to have it light earlier after the time change.

I also don’t understand how some people are so bothered by the change. My kids have never been. I mean, it’s only one hour? Some people seem so thrown off by it!

jenstring95
11-06-2018, 12:08 AM
I hate changing the clocks. Always have. The spring one takes me forever to adjust to. I know it's just an hour, but it really messes with me for about a week. What I really think should be done is to split the difference by 30 minutes and leave it. That's the best compromise I can think of. I know it would be weird with other countries' schedules, but everyone would get used to it. Heck, we went to Australia for our honeymoon and found that some areas followed daylight savings, some did not, and some did seem to split the difference because they were 30 minutes off from the others.

carolinacool
11-06-2018, 12:10 AM
I like things exactly like they are now. I like later days in the summer and am used to it being dark earlier in the winter. It was refreshing to have it light earlier after the time change.

I also don’t understand how some people are so bothered by the change. My kids have never been. I mean, it’s only one hour? Some people seem so thrown off by it!

Agreed. It always takes me a day or two to get used to it being darker or lighter a certain time of day, but I have never felt thrown off by it. And I guess I’m just fortunate that DS, who’s almost 9, has never had a strong reaction, either.

bisous
11-06-2018, 12:11 AM

I’ve actually never met anyone that WASN’T bothered by it. Until my stepmom said she liked it.

We had a group of 30 some parents and not a one of us liked the time change. For some kids it is truly brutal.

I want to say I’ve read studies that the change of only one hour leads to a significant lack of productivity. I’ll see if I can find it.

ETA: Here’s just one article: https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2014/03/06/daylight-saving-time-at-what-cost/the-economic-toll-of-daylight-saving-time

StantonHyde
11-06-2018, 12:14 AM
For people who hate the change--what do you do when you go on vacation???? We go to California-its an hour behind. Go to the east coast--2 hours ahead. Nobody ever gripes about time change on vacation (other than Europe or something where there is a huge time difference). You just get on with your vacation. Time changes at home are the same. 2-4 days max, then get on with it. I would vote for DST all year round--love the daylight in the evening!

bisous
11-06-2018, 12:27 AM
For people who hate the change--what do you do when you go on vacation???? We go to California-its an hour behind. Go to the east coast--2 hours ahead. Nobody ever gripes about time change on vacation (other than Europe or something where there is a huge time difference). You just get on with your vacation. Time changes at home are the same. 2-4 days max, then get on with it. I would vote for DST all year round--love the daylight in the evening!

I feel like jet lag is an enormous annoyance while traveling! Maybe some people are hardwired with more flexible circadian rhythms. I adjust fairly easily to DST but it took me weeks to adjust from my vacation to the East Coast last year, lol!

niccig
11-06-2018, 01:02 AM
DH doesn’t care which time they choose as long as it stays the same. I prefer more light at the end of the day.

Jet lag really affects me but it depends where I’m going. I can adjust to the change when I go to Australia as it’s going west and I leave at night, go to sleep on the plane, wake up and arrive in the morning. Coming back it’s going east, you get on the plane in the morning and arrive on same day but earlier that day because of the international date line. It totally throws me as I’m tired after 14 hours of travel time and it’s 6am. I can never stay up long enough before I fall asleep. It takes DS and I over a week to get back on local time.

essnce629
11-06-2018, 04:01 AM
Today sucked!!! DS2 has soccer practice normally from 5-6pm, there's NO lights on the turf fields he practices on so they decided to move the practices earlier to 4:30-5:30pm. Any earlier is just not possible, especially for us since we don't even get home from school till 4pm after picking up DS1. And DS2 is always starving for dinner when we get home and today we had exactly 15 minutes at home (vs 50 minutes) to heat up leftovers for DS2 to eat before leaving to practice and then he wanted a second dinner when we got home! At 5pm the turf fields were already dark and the kids spent their last 20 minutes of practice basically trying to scrimmage in almost complete darkness! I was cold and over it! By the time I made our regular dinner at home it was super late and DS2 didn't get into bed until 8:40 when normally we try to get him in bed at 7pm!

georgiegirl
11-06-2018, 10:10 AM
DS1 (9) has had issues adjusting his entire life (same when we travel). When he was 2, he was waking up at 4:30 until December and he didn’t hit 6am until it was time go change back in March. My other two adjust easily. I’m fine with daylight savings year round or current situation. I’d hate standard time year round.

AnnieW625
11-06-2018, 11:19 AM
..... By the time I made our regular dinner at home it was super late and DS2 didn't get into bed until 8:40 when normally we try to get him in bed at 7pm!

I am insanely jealous of this, but how do you do this with an almost 10 year old? I don’t even get home with DD2 until 5:30 most nights, and getting her to bed before 8:30 is a challenge. I know for sure she would be better off sleeping more because then the 6:30 am wakeup would be easier (DH has to leave at 7:15 or so to drop off Dd1 and then DD2 at school by 8 am and her school is 20 minutes away), but for a working parent this just hasn’t been possible since DD2 started kindergarten and has homework to do.

Staraglimmer
11-06-2018, 11:22 AM
I also like my daylight in the evenings. We are able to do so much more. In the city, it just isn’t safe to be out after dark.

specialp
11-06-2018, 11:48 AM
I prefer light in the evenings/DLS, but I really don't care either way. It takes a day or two adjust, but such a small blip on my radar that I doubt I'd care enough to vote either way on the measure. Some people are so passionate about it though.

I'm not one who hates the change and agree to get on with it, but I do think it's a bit different going back to a daily grind and routine after a time change vs. the fun excitement of a vacation with new sights, sounds, stimuli.

speo
11-06-2018, 11:57 AM
I believe one reason for the push to end the time change in CA is because the time change is attributed to an increase in deaths. The deaths are mostly due to an increase in heart attacks and car accidents.

JamiMac
11-06-2018, 02:09 PM

I agree! I’ve never considered any travel within the US to cause jet lag, except maybe when we went to Hawaii. When we lived in California we’d go to the east coast and now go east and west from Texas. Not a big deal. People travel like that for work all of the time! I would definitely want more light at the back side of the day if it was permanent. Is that what CA is voting for?

ged
11-06-2018, 04:09 PM
I don't know, but I kinda like the change 2x/year. Keeps things different and keeps us adjusting. I dont like spring forward, but I do love fall back, esp now that my kids are older and I can being enjoying it again. That "extra" hour always feels like a small victory for me, at least for the first few days until I change my clocks.

94bruin
11-06-2018, 04:27 PM
I agree! I’ve never considered any travel within the US to cause jet lag, except maybe when we went to Hawaii. When we lived in California we’d go to the east coast and now go east and west from Texas. Not a big deal. People travel like that for work all of the time! I would definitely want more light at the back side of the day if it was permanent. Is that what CA is voting for?

We are voting to allow the legislature to bring up the issue and vote on it, if they want to. But any change needs to be approved by the Federal Gov't, so even if the legislature votes to keep DST year round, it's not a done deal.

I voted yes, but I think the daylight shift is so different depending on what latitude you live. The northernmost and southernmost part of California are so far apart!
Before this weekend, I was glad to gain an hour. However, I was really tired and woke up really early. Yesterday, we were all really cranky in the evening and DD1 astutely commented that we were all probably tired.

TwinFoxes
11-06-2018, 06:10 PM

Well, on vacation I can sleep in/get up, whatever. And I can go to bed whenever...yeah I might miss out on something but grades won't be effected. That being said, the time change has never really bothered me or my kids very much.

StantonHyde
11-06-2018, 08:58 PM
We hit vacation hard-up and going every morning. People travel for work too. I think people need to change their narrative about this and move forward instead of griping about it. There are people who say they are for a month and depressed etc. give me a break. I would be fine with DST all year long—need that day light for sports, exercise, etc

bisous
11-06-2018, 09:35 PM
We hit vacation hard-up and going every morning. People travel for work too. I think people need to change their narrative about this and move forward instead of griping about it. There are people who say they are for a month and depressed etc. give me a break. I would be fine with DST all year long—need that day light for sports, exercise, etc

Almost everyone I know hates it. Why NOT change it if that’s the case? Clearly it doesn’t affect your family too severely but others don’t feel that way. What’s more, there is data to support the idea that it is not an efficient way to live/could actually be counterproductive/could actually be dangerous!

PZMommy
11-07-2018, 12:59 AM
It looks like voters voted for daylight’s savings time, but they said it doesn’t really matter because the federal government has to approve it.

elephantmeg
11-07-2018, 08:10 AM
as a night shift nurse who is now working at 3 am I hate it. What time do you show up? My alarm clock auto changes but I forgot that it changes at 2. I used to get up at 2 to be at work at 3 but now get up at 1:55, which meant I was an hour early for work! UGH.

TwinFoxes
11-07-2018, 08:38 AM
We hit vacation hard-up and going every morning.

This is what's known as "different strokes". I mean at Disney we do make rope drop, but if we're at the beach, I'm sleeping in. :) But again, the time change doesn't bother me or my kids, and DH has never had a problem sleeping in his life (it's amazing he'll finish a coffee, say "I'm going to sleep" and drop off immediately. His siblings and mom are like that too!)

I agree with Bisous though, there does seem to be scientific data to back up the fact that the time changing negatively effects people, so I'm not sure it's a case of mind over matter. It seems like a biological reaction for some people. Depression is real. But the chances of Congress actually doing anything is pretty slim I'd say.

Momit
11-07-2018, 09:12 AM

2/3 of the people in my family struggle with the time change even when we travel within the continental US. My husband and son both have a hard time with something as small as a 1-hour difference.

I wish the time change would just go away.