PDA

View Full Version : BJs vs Sam's?

trcy
11-06-2018, 08:02 PM
We are currently piggybacking on my mom's Sam's club membership. We mainly use it for napkins/paper towels, diapers and wipes, some bulk snacks and nuts, frozen fruit, and some produce. It's a bit of drive (about 30 minutes) so we limit trips to about 1 per month. A BJs is opening much closer. They are offering a discount to join before they actually open. Any thoughts on BJs vs Sam's club. The closest Costco is right by our Sam's club, so there would be no real advantage to switching to them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

JBaxter
11-06-2018, 08:07 PM
My order of preference
Costco
Sams
BJs
I’ve had them all at one point to another. I stick with Costco now

jgenie
11-06-2018, 10:30 PM
I drive just under 30 minutes to my closest Costco. I would not drive that far for Sam’s club. I’m not familiar with BJs.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

gymnbomb
11-07-2018, 07:10 AM
We have had them all, and I would say I like Costco best, then BJs, then Sams. We have BJs now because that is the only thing nearby. I would always pick the closest one unless one of the others is in a place you already go to frequently. The thing I like about BJs is that they take manufacturers coupons in addition to their own, so you can sometimes stack those and get really good deals on things.

We mostly buy paper products, diaper genie refills, and meat there. I use the gas station maybe once a month. When I lived near a Costco I bought almost all my gas there, and savings on that alone pretty much paid for my membership. BJs is very close to our house but not on my way to work, otherwise I would do that more now too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

klwa
11-07-2018, 08:33 AM
I've got a BJs membership & have shopped with my parents on their Sams membership. I prefer BJs, but not by a huge amount. The main reason I got BJs instead of Sams was because it was only half an hour away, while Sams was ~45 minutes. There's now a Sams ~ 20 minutes from me, and I won't switch to them. Along with bring closer, I also picked BJs because at the time, you could easily use any major credit card there and they allowed you to use manufacturers coupons. It made a lot more sense to my family at the time. I'm not sure what the current rules on those are at Sams, but I think they allow credit cards at least now, so that's less of an issue. Also, I prefer the BJs brand diapers to the Sams brand. We used a LOT of BJs brand diapers through three kids. :)

As for Costco that others are throwing around, the closest one to us is over an hour away. I've been once with my SIL and just don't see what the big hype is compared to the others. But she won't even consider either of the others.