PDA

View Full Version : Would you Apply For This Job?

anonomom
11-07-2018, 08:43 PM
There's a non-profit organization that I think is really wonderful and that does great work in an area about which I am passionate. They just posted today that they're looking to hire a director to start a chapter in my state. It is the job of my dreams, though it would be unlike anything I've ever done before.

But I'm not so sure I'm qualified. I have some limited experience in non-profits, in management and in grassroots organizing, all of which are listed in the job posting. But the job also requires experience working with the community of people the nonprofit serves and to be honest, I don't have that. Like, at all. It's an important enough qualification that they ask about it specifically in the job application. Also, did I mention I've been a SAHM for 13 years?

I'm totally unsure what to do. Should I apply for the job as a moonshot? Or let the opportunity pass and hope that at some point in the future, this org will look to hire someone for a job further down the food chain? And if I apply, how do I explain my total lack of qualification in that one particular area?

Corie
11-07-2018, 08:49 PM
I say, Go For It!!! What can it hurt?

TwinFoxes
11-07-2018, 09:01 PM
Don't talk yourself out of it. I've been a hiring manager before and hired someone who didn't have all the qualifications. The person I'm thinking of really took off in her career. So, go for it. If nothing else, it will give you a chance to polish your resume for the next time a good fit comes along.

SnuggleBuggles
11-07-2018, 09:02 PM
Go for it. Statistically men often apply for jobs they really aren't qualified for (and often land jobs) while women wait to check all the boxes. Just go for it. They usually post their wishlist but assume they won't get someone that ticks every box anyway. You never know!

trcy
11-07-2018, 09:18 PM
Go for it! You've got nothing to lose. Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Octobermommy
11-07-2018, 10:03 PM
Definitely! Even if you don’t get the director position maybe you could get another position or at least get your foot in the door.

mackmama
11-07-2018, 11:17 PM
If the hours, etc work for you - then I would definitely go for it. It can also be an opportunity to get on their radar for other opportunities that might arise.

jenstring95
11-07-2018, 11:44 PM
You DEFINITELY can't get it if you don't apply! Do it, and good luck!! Don't focus on what you think is missing. Focus on all the rock star qualities that make you the best candidate they could have!

JElaineB
11-08-2018, 12:00 AM
Go for it. Statistically men often apply for jobs they really aren't qualified for (and often land jobs) while women wait to check all the boxes. Just go for it. They usually post their wishlist but assume they won't get someone that ticks every box anyway. You never know!This is exactly what I was thinking. Just apply and speak to your strengths in the application materials.

StantonHyde
11-08-2018, 12:52 AM
I just sat through interviews for 2 very different positions--one exec levels and one for a beginning professional position. And both of them had one thing in common--there was no one candidate who met all the qualifications. You just don't find people who check all of the boxes. There were jobs I didnt' apply for in my 20s that I should have. Go for it. It's good to interview. Get your name, face, resume out there. you never know where it might lead. Good luck!!!

jennilynn
11-08-2018, 04:17 PM
Yes definitely apply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk