PDA

View Full Version : Cross Posted in SN- 3 year Speech IEP Eval

blue
11-08-2018, 04:19 PM
I am cross posting in the lounge after 4 days in the hopes more people will see the thread and someone might have an answer/suggestion. Thanks

Link to original post.
http://http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?504901-3-year-Speech-IEP-Eval (http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?504901-3-year-Speech-IEP-Eval")

Copy/Paste of original post
"DS2 is due for his 3year IEP evaluation for speech to determine if he is still eligible for services. His current speech teacher doesn't believe he will still qualify once her testing is done. I agree that DS2 has made a lot of progress with his articulation and intelligibility. However, I am not sure he is quiet ready to be done with speech. He has been going through periods where he stutters for several weeks in row and then stops. His volume has been really low again, making it difficult to understand him because he is simply to quiet. I brought these issue up to the speech teacher, but I don't believe she is addressing them (she mentioned keeping an eye on them,but did not mention doing anything for them). I am quiet confident that his speech is great while he is IN speech therapy in a one on one situation. My concern is his how is he doing in the classroom,with peers, and other adults at school with spontaneous speech, not repeated phrases. Is he also stuttering and talking very quiet in these situations?

For his 3year eval they are currently only testing his articulation with Goldman Fristoe Test of Articulation 3. Does anyone know if their are other areas I should asked to be tested for the problems he's having that I mentioned? Is one test for Articulation going to give an accurate picture of his how he is currently doing? Is their a way to have his speech in the classroom, etc evaluated too? Any other suggestions? Thank you in advance for any help. I have been researching some already ,but I don't have as much time (or brain power) as I normally do since I have newborn at home again. "

mom2binsd
11-08-2018, 04:41 PM
It seems that she should also be conducting a language sample within the context of natural conversation vs the Goldman Fristoe. Also, she should be analyzing speech within the classroom/and in natiral social settings given your concerns. However if it's not impacting academics your child may no longer qualify

Also, just as a PSA, as a Speech Pathologist we (most anyway) prefer being called either a SLP or speech therapist vs speech teacher (teachers are amazing and do work I could never do on a daily basis, however our training is very different. I realize it's just a title but I just wanted to mention it).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

niccig
11-08-2018, 05:26 PM
To be eligible for speech therapy in schools, it must have an educational impact. A child can’t be removed from instructional time if there is no disability or no educational impact from that disability.

Educational impact is also what we see at school. Often a child has the skills taught by the SLP but isn’t using them in other settings eg at home. Generalization at home happens when the parent reminds the child to use what they’ve been taught. I had a friend want her child to stay in speech because the waiter at a restaurant couldn’t understand her but the teacher could understand her DD. I told my friend that the school SLP isn’t going to a restaurant with them, so she as parent needed to have her DD practice the food order and remind her to speak slowly and loudly. I’m also talking from experience as I had a perfect /s/ when I was in speech therapy but I didn’t use it outside of therapy. I was dismissed as I knew what to do, I didn’t do it until I was motivated. You can help motivate him at home to use good speech sounds when talking. I told my friend to do a rewards chart for practice and speaking clearly in other settings for her DD to earn a prize. My students that practice at home do better.

Talking quietly is not a speech disorder if I child can physically increase volume, but is choosing not too. It’s behavioral and not a disorder. I give teachers and parents visuals they can use to remind the child. It takes
reminders for a child to learn a new behavior. It’s also not specialized instruction that requires a SLP. The teacher and parent can remind the child to speak more loudly.

Stuttering can be assessed if it’s your concern. There are normal disfluencies though that everyone has, no one is 100% fluent. It depends on type and amount of disfluencies if it’s considered stuttering. Is he on any medications? I have a few students that stuttered as side effect of medications. You could call and ask for a fluency evaluation to be included.

In my district I can not test language unless the school psych has also tested to rule out a learning disability, Autism etc. I can test articulation and fluency on my own. I always include a connected speech sample and I observe the child in class and on the playground.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

LBW
11-08-2018, 05:31 PM
If he doesn't qualify through school, you can also pursue private speech therapy. (Or do it in addition to school) I did that for my middle son when he didn't qualify for speech services (pragmatic language) at school.

Kindra178
11-08-2018, 05:34 PM
Around here, a private speech eval may spur the school into action. Also, do you have language concerns? Our schools can test for language and do so.

blue
11-08-2018, 05:40 PM
It seems that she should also be conducting a language sample within the context of natural conversation vs the Goldman Fristoe. Also, she should be analyzing speech within the classroom/and in natiral social settings given your concerns. However if it's not impacting academics your child may no longer qualify

Also, just as a PSA, as a Speech Pathologist we (most anyway) prefer being called either a SLP or speech therapist vs speech teacher (teachers are amazing and do work I could never do on a daily basis, however our training is very different. I realize it's just a title but I just wanted to mention it).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thank you for your input. I will ask if she is willing to/able to analyze his speech in the classroom and social settings too and language sampling. Maybe she is doing these things too and just didn't mention them when I asked previously what testing she is doing. I will contact her again and clarify.

Yes, I do understand he may no longer qualify for speech services. I just want to make sure we address all his speech issues in the testing/evaluation to get a accurate picture of where he is at. If everything is addressed and he doesn't qualify anymore then that's fine with me. I'll get him a little cake and tell him he's graduating from Speech and we will celebrate. DS2 is almost 6 and he's been receiving speech help since he was 2 years old. So, "graduating " from speech is a reason to celebrate.

Thank you for the PSA on what most Speech Pathologists perfer to be called. I am usually better with correct titles. I didn't realize until now that I have gotten in the habit of saying Speech Teacher instead of SLP or speech therapist. DS2 usually says speech teacher and I guess I have started to as well. I'll remind him how to correctly say it tonight and ask him to correct me too if I say it wrong. He will enjoy that ;).

niccig
11-08-2018, 11:51 PM
Thank you for your input. I will ask if she is willing to/able to analyze his speech in the classroom and social settings too and language sampling. Maybe she is doing these things too and just didn't mention them when I asked previously what testing she is doing. I will contact her again and clarify.

My school district requires me to observe in 2 different settings - I usually do one classroom and one playground observation. We must also get input from the teacher and the parent. Hopefully it’s included in your son’s evaluation. This is all pretty standard in evaluations.

If you wish for stuttering to be evaluated, you may need to tell the SLP you are concerned and want it to be evaluated. I’ve had students that parent say stutter at home, but the teacher had never heard the child stutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

blue
11-09-2018, 06:04 PM
Thank you mom2binsd, niccig, LBW, and Kindra178 for your replies and the information you provided. I have found it very helpful. I am sorry I am not able to respond to what you have individually said right now. Unfortunately the newborn is fussy the last few day so it's harder to find time to respond, but I wanted to make sure to say thank you.