PDA

View Full Version : Quick question: how much for a bar mitzvah cash gift?

citymama
11-09-2018, 10:58 PM
I know the young man in question is saving up for an Xbox. What's the standard rate for a bar mitzvah as a family friend? All 4 of us are going but just attending ceremony and kiddush, not invited to the after party for his close friends and family. He's in a medium COL area, not NYC or LA or SF.

sariana
11-10-2018, 12:44 AM
A multiple of 18 is traditional, whatever is comfortable for you. We gave our neighbors' daughters $54. I don't know how that compared to others' gifts, though. It was a HCOL area.

citymama
11-10-2018, 01:07 AM
A multiple of 18 is traditional, whatever is comfortable for you. We gave our neighbors' daughters $54. I don't know how that compared to others' gifts, though. It was a HCOL area.

Ooh, thanks for that helpful tip. I should know that (my daughter will have her bar mitzvah next year) but I didn't know!

essnce629
11-10-2018, 04:03 AM

We gave $54 to all of DS1's friends as well.

magnoliaparadise
11-10-2018, 08:37 AM
We gave $54 to all of DS1's friends as well.

I think that that amount would be an average amount here for one child who attended a bat mitzvah alone (ie a classmate). The price would be higher IMHO for if a whole family attended the bar/bat mitzvah.

HannaAddict
11-10-2018, 02:46 PM
I think that that amount would be an average amount here for one child who attended a bat mitzvah alone (ie a classmate). The price would be higher IMHO for if a whole family attended the bar/bat mitzvah.

Yes, for a kid attending alone that is fine but if you know them well enough for an entire family to attend, needs to be over $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ett
11-10-2018, 04:37 PM
We gave $54 when DS1 went to his friend's bar mitzvah. He attended the ceremony and the party afterwards.

Philly Mom
11-10-2018, 05:30 PM
Around here $36 is common for a kid to give, some even give only $18. However, if my whole family was invited I would be north of $100.

essnce629
11-11-2018, 06:04 AM
I think that that amount would be an average amount here for one child who attended a bat mitzvah alone (ie a classmate). The price would be higher IMHO for if a whole family attended the bar/bat mitzvah.Yes, you're probably right. DS1's attended all of his friends' bar mitzvahs alone.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk