PDA

View Full Version : What do you want for Christmas?

khalloc
11-11-2018, 03:50 PM
My dad keeps asking me what I want for Christmas. I can’t seem to think of something! He’s going to give me a Coach gift certificate. For like $400 if I can’t think of anything else. I don’t really need a new purse. I kind of want an Apple Watch, but at the same time I don’t need it. Any other ideas in the $400 range? I’m going to Ireland in April with a friend, so maybe a new camera? But at the same time I don’t want to lug a larger camera with me. Right now I have a waterproof Olympus TG-4 that I was planning on taking.

georgiegirl
11-11-2018, 04:52 PM
I say go for an Apple Watch. It seems useful but still a splurge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gymnbomb
11-11-2018, 05:11 PM
From what you have said I would go for the Apple Watch. I am getting a rain coat, an umbrella that closes with the wet part inside, and a new CD player for my car.

zukeypur
11-11-2018, 06:35 PM
I have an Apple Watch, and I would definitely go for that over a purse. From previous threads I know I’m in the minority, but I don’t have cellular, and can only think of once or twice when I would have used it (dead phone). I would rather have my $10/month.

I want some nice black tall boots and a food processor.

niccig
11-11-2018, 06:51 PM
Do you want anything for the house? DH and I are getting a new fire pit for outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

jgenie
11-11-2018, 07:21 PM
I think I want the new iPhone. I might decide to buy a necklace instead. Does anyone have any favorite diamond necklaces? I've been after one for years but I can't decide on a style. I would like something I can wear everyday casual but also for dinner out. Thanks!!!

NCGrandma
11-11-2018, 07:23 PM
I am getting [...] an umbrella that closes with the wet part inside.

What?! Does everyone but me know about this? Sounds really great, especially for travel (although I can’t quite visualize how it works).

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

PZMommy
11-11-2018, 07:30 PM
I love my Apple Watch. That is my vote!

candaceb
11-11-2018, 07:43 PM
I usually have nothing to tell people except a few random kitchen items. This year I have a whole list going...
- a gift certificate to a group that does tours of Detroit
- a good bluetooth speaker - I have a cheapy anker that has been replaced under warranty already and skips
- the plantronics bluetooth headphones from Costco that someone linked to here
- a new kindle fire HD to replace the one with the broken screen (I will probably buy myself when they have a deal).
- in the random department, a shower stool for shaving my legs. https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/aluminum-spa-shower-seat/1040697765?keyword=shower-stool

jawilli4
11-11-2018, 07:44 PM
What?! Does everyone but me know about this? Sounds really great, especially for travel (although I can’t quite visualize how it works).

I don't have one but saw an ad on TV. This might be it: https://www.amazon.com/BETTERBRELLA-Reverse-Open-Wind-Proof-Umbrella/dp/B01GKBB9SY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541980058&sr=8-3&keywords=better+brella (https://www.amazon.com/BETTERBRELLA-Reverse-Open-Wind-Proof-Umbrella/dp/B01GKBB9SY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541979740&sr=8-3&keywords=better+brella)

ETA: Not sure why but the link won't work for me. Try Googling Better Brella. :)

specialp
11-11-2018, 07:51 PM

I'm guessing she means an "inverted umbrella" if you want to search it. Had mine for couple of years and love it.

urquie
11-11-2018, 07:54 PM

My mom loves hers... great for closing it upward when getting in the car! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XC6JM57/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hillview
11-11-2018, 07:59 PM
random ideas in that price range
apple iPad/watch like you mentioned
tickets to hamilton
gift card to a very fancy restaurant
nordstroms gc

urquie
11-11-2018, 08:06 PM
I have an Apple Watch, and I would definitely go for that over a purse. From previous threads I know I’m in the minority, but I don’t have cellular, and can only think of once or twice when I would have used it (dead phone). I would rather have my $10/month.

I want some nice black tall boots and a food processor.

If you can order online or go to Costco today, they have a Cuisinart food processor with spiralizer on sale for $99, down from $149 - sale ends today 11/11.

We bought and returned this same item last year... with all of the extra parts, I could not fit it in my cupboard! I wanted to replace my old simple one, because the bowl was cracking. In addition to being too large to fit in my cupboard, there were so many more pieces that it was no longer a simple quick appliance to use. I'm still looking for a replacement bowl!

jgenie
11-11-2018, 08:21 PM
If you can order online or go to Costco today, they have a Cuisinart food processor with spiralizer on sale for $99, down from $149 - sale ends today 11/11.

Thank you for posting! I killed DH’s food processor last year and hadn’t pulled the trigger on a replacement. I just ordered one!!

calebsmama03
11-11-2018, 09:01 PM
Thank you for posting! I killed DH’s food processor last year and hadn’t pulled the trigger on a replacement. I just ordered one!!

I have this (Christmas gift last year) and love it! It *is* big but it does so much. Great value.

ahisma
11-11-2018, 09:11 PM
I want a Ricoh GR II camera for our spring London trip.

gymnbomb
11-11-2018, 09:21 PM

The others were right, inverted umbrella is the correct term. I had never seen one, then I recently saw two people with them within a couple of weeks. I need a new umbrella anyway so I figured I would give it a try. I think it will be best for keeping in my car and using to walk between car and work. They don’t fold up small, so not the kind I would stick in a purse or backpack.

Kindra178
11-11-2018, 09:30 PM
Apple Watch and fire pit are great suggestions. Barre class package or other exercise studio, personal training sessions at a gym, new winter coat (ie Moosejaw or backcountry gc), Sonos type home speaker system, fancy sound bar for tv, lovely bedding or night in the city with kids (hotel gc).

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Izzy&Bella
11-11-2018, 10:00 PM
New luggage? I love my Away bags and am giving a set to my husband for Christmas. I loaned one to my mom for a recent trip and now she wants them, too. A medium bag plus the carryon bag are $450, I think.

fauve01
11-12-2018, 12:09 AM
New lens for my DSLR is always on my list. $400 would make a good dent in the price.

We are redoing out kitchen/downstairs, so our house now needs a bunch of new stuff, like rugs, bar stools, dining chairs and maybe table, art, etc!

AnnieW625
11-12-2018, 12:27 AM
I am not interested in an iwatch as I love the look of a traditional watch. I bought at Michele tank style last year for $325 and I love it. I bought it at Nordstrom Rack.

I am going to tell people I want money to save for my camera. I want a small mirrorless camera and maybe a lense to go with it. I will probably go with Olympus or Panasonic.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181112/0ee2ac10a2bc37cce927edc1e7e0976c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181112/ccb875843d1bcb50f3b3dfc564fc5728.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikala
11-12-2018, 05:01 AM
My current wishlist, I'll probably end up doing some of it on my own and saving for the rest over the next year:

Various home improvements (aka you know you're an adult when you'd be thrilled with a new front door and some new light fixtures, especially if someone else took care of the installation details)
Theater tickets
Car detailed
Rothy's point shoes
Kindle Oasis

smilequeen
11-12-2018, 10:51 AM
I don't have a wish list, but if you want an Apple Watch, go for it. I honestly love mine.

khalloc
11-12-2018, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all of the great ideas!

I do like the idea of home improvements. I want new rugs for some rooms in my house but not ready to make a decision on those yet. THings I reall ywant are gointg to be way above $400 - like a new dresser, a bathroom remodel, ha!

I have a DLSR but its 10 years old and I never use it. I cant seem to get the manual buttons down. Too much to think about when I want to snap a picture! I tend to be drawn to fancy new cameras but then never learn to use them. I dont really care for theater tickets. I live in Vermont and there are hardly any stores up here so with a GC I'd have to order online and then go thru returning items if I didnt like. I dont really need clothes. The Ricoh GR camera interests me, but I already have a camera that is only 2 years old so I feel like I should probably use that.

Right now I wear a fitbit Charge 2 for a watch/step counter and I like that so I think I'd enjoy the Apple Watch? We have a fire put but we dont have a patio. I am not really into the pit - thats more DH's realm. I tend to stay inside at night in the summer so I dont get eaten alive by mosquitos. I'll keep thinking, but I guess I am leaning towards the Apple Watch. I love reading other's ideas about what they want though!!

Philly Mom
11-12-2018, 11:21 AM
I was just motivated by this thread and bought myself an apple watch through best buy's black friday sale.

roobee
11-12-2018, 11:44 AM
Roomba if you don't already have one.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

khalloc
11-12-2018, 11:47 AM
I don't have a wish list, but if you want an Apple Watch, go for it. I honestly love mine.

I dont know if I want one. What do you love about it? I dont run, but I can see the appeal of being able to take a walk with my dog without having my phone with me.

khalloc
11-12-2018, 11:48 AM
Roomba if you don't already have one.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Do you have any pets? I have a 65 pound chocolate lab. Will a roomba keep up with the pet hair? DH was asking me about a roomba for Xmas so I was going to see if he buys it. I'll have to run it every day to keep up. She sheds like crazy.

newnana
11-12-2018, 11:49 AM
If you are serious about the bathroom remodel, my parents gave us our bathroom cabinet/sink for Christmas when we were redoing ours. I love that something they gave us is part of our every day lives, it took a chunk out of what we needed to budget and they love that its something we really use (a lot!) and love. Maybe faucets or plumbing or sink or something?

khalloc
11-12-2018, 12:01 PM
I dont have the money to do the rest of the remodel yet so sitting on a sink or plumbing fixtures and waiting 3 years to do it doesnt seem to make sense. Maybe another year!

khm
11-12-2018, 12:52 PM
Are your kids in sports? I kind of mentally have a list of "nice to have while watching hours of kid sports" stuff. Nice chairs, nice blankets, umbrellas, coolers, water bottles, etc.

I am personally getting a new version Apple Watch because if the newer health features (heart in particular for me). I don't know if I'd get one typically, but as a gift in that price range, seems like a good bet if you think you might like it!

Roomba is also a great idea, again, not something I'd pony up for on my own, but I know I'd probably really appreciate it. I think lots of times it can be hard to "justify" something even as a gift. I get it!

khalloc
11-12-2018, 02:39 PM
Are your kids in sports? I kind of mentally have a list of "nice to have while watching hours of kid sports" stuff. Nice chairs, nice blankets, umbrellas, coolers, water bottles, etc.

I am personally getting a new version Apple Watch because if the newer health features (heart in particular for me). I don't know if I'd get one typically, but as a gift in that price range, seems like a good bet if you think you might like it!

Roomba is also a great idea, again, not something I'd pony up for on my own, but I know I'd probably really appreciate it. I think lots of times it can be hard to "justify" something even as a gift. I get it!

My son plays some soccer. We arent watching so much that I need something special for it. I guess I dont have a hard time "justifying" a gift, I just want to think of something I'll love and not waste the gift on something I might not really like. I went to Best Buy at lunch to look at the Apple watch sizes. I like the smaller 40mm Series 4. And I prefer the sport loop brand. Costco only sells the sport band though. Costco price is $484.99 and regular price is $499.