PDA

View Full Version : What to pay handyman who screwed up?

mmsmom
11-12-2018, 09:20 PM
We hired a handyman who was recommended by a family member who used him. We used him once for various projects and he was fine. A couple months later I asked him if he could install 3 glass tub enclosures, install some towel bars, switch the dryer door swing and a couple other things. I sent him the installation manual for the enclosures so he could see what it entailed and decide if he could do it. He said he could do everything so I went over everything with him in person then I was away for a week. DH was here.

When I came home expecting to see everything completed it was a mess. He did not hang the towel bars evenly as we had discussed, two of the doors were complete but looked awful and he broke parts on the dryer door because he did not follow the instructions (he admitted this and took care of ordering new parts). He really struggled with one of the glass doors and ordered more parts and came back several times to work on it. After the 4th visit when it still wasn’t finished I looked at the work carefully and realized how much he has messed it up and chipped the tub and damaged the door in the process. So I sent him a message saying that we were not happy with the way it looked and would find someone else to finish it. He has tools at our house so I said to let me know what we owe him and he could pick up his tools and we would give him a check. At first he said ok, then later said we shouldn’t pay him anything. I know I shouldn’t feel bad not paying him but he did spend a lot of time here. His rate is $37.50/hour and he probably spent at least 20 hours here. In the meantime I had true glass installers here who fixed the mistakes they could and charged $300. I still have a chipped tub and towel bars that need to be rehung. I don’t know what the right thing to do is. He admits the work was not up to standards and he should have realized he did not have the expertise for the glass doors in the first place. However the other work was pretty standard and that was messed up too. Basically none of the projects were done correctly.

What should I do? I want to be fair.

TwinFoxes
11-12-2018, 10:32 PM
Ugh, what a nightmare. I have no idea what you should pay him, but I agree you should give him something. I wonder why he did such a bad job. I mean, I get the shower enclosures, but hanging towel racks is pretty standard stuff.

georgiegirl
11-13-2018, 12:00 AM
I don’t even know. Im temped to say nothing. I mean he totally messed up and it’s going to cost you even more money now. How badly is your dryer broken? What a total disaster. I think paying him minimum wage for his time would be more than generous. He really should have been able to do the basics and then admit he was in above his head. When you go to a restaurant and they totally mess things us (spill food on you or find a bug in your food), your meal is usually comped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pharmjenn
11-13-2018, 12:05 AM
If you figure the 20hrs at his pay, and deduct the $300 you had to pay the glass guys, that is $450. Who is paying for the replacement parts for the stuff he broke? I would work it out that way, and then deduct something for the towel racks, because if you try to rehang them correctly, you will be left with marks or even holes in the wall that need patching.

JustMe
11-13-2018, 01:38 PM
This is tough.

Have you talked with the family member who referred him? That might be helpful.

Is any of his work good as is? If so, I would pay him for that.

I tend to think something like $100 is fair if none of his work is good. He should not have accepted the job, and its on him, so really you would not have to pay him anything..Not sure if I would have the guts to go with the $100 option if he was coming back to my house to get his tools, but I do think its fair

mmsmom
11-13-2018, 03:45 PM
Thanks all for the helpful responses. I think I am going to give him around $200. It should have taken him 2 days for the work which would have been $600. I don’t feel he is owed for all of the extra time he spent trying to figure out what he was doing. He paid for the replacement parts for the dryer door. They are just trim pieces but it is a brand new dryer. He broke the pieces because he missed the step in the instructions where he was supposed to remove screws. He tried to glue the pieces on but DH said it looked horrible. So since I would have paid around $600, I am subtracting the $300 additional I had to pay and probably $50-75 to redo towel bars (it will have to be spackled and repainted). We will have to install the dryer pieces too. So if I give him $200 I will end up paying about $600 total for these projects which is what I was expecting so that feels fair to me.

twowhat?
11-13-2018, 05:52 PM
I'm not sure I would pay him at all, honestly. He made a mistake and caused damage that cost you more money to fix...and he fairly told you to not pay him for the work that wasn't done to satisfaction. He is probably hoping you will take it and not make him pay YOU anything for the damage!!!

For him, he definitely can chalk it up to a learning experience. Accept his offer, let him know you feel bad that he spent the time but that you appreciate his honestly, and let it go.

AngB
11-13-2018, 06:32 PM
Thanks all for the helpful responses. I think I am going to give him around $200. It should have taken him 2 days for the work which would have been $600. I don’t feel he is owed for all of the extra time he spent trying to figure out what he was doing. He paid for the replacement parts for the dryer door. They are just trim pieces but it is a brand new dryer. He broke the pieces because he missed the step in the instructions where he was supposed to remove screws. He tried to glue the pieces on but DH said it looked horrible. So since I would have paid around $600, I am subtracting the $300 additional I had to pay and probably $50-75 to redo towel bars (it will have to be spackled and repainted). We will have to install the dryer pieces too. So if I give him $200 I will end up paying about $600 total for these projects which is what I was expecting so that feels fair to me.

That sounds very fair to me. I agree that it's very nice of you to pay him at all.