PDA

View Full Version : Family Board Game

DietCokeLover
11-13-2018, 08:40 AM
I buy a new family board game for Christmas each year. None are jumping out at me this year yet. Recommend your (new?) favorites. Some hits in the past have been Say Anything, Wits and Wagers, Ticket to Ride, and 5 Second Rule. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
11-13-2018, 08:46 AM
Disney’s Villainous
Machi Koro
Exploding Kittens
Munchkin

If you don’t have Catan, you should get that.

I have Castle Panic, Cat and Unfair on my wish list at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jillmk
11-13-2018, 09:15 AM
Agree with Catan and Machi Koro...

A few others ideas:
Small World
Zooloretto
Roll For It
Sushi Go
King of Tokyo
Carcasonne
7 Wonders
Dominion

Mommy_Mea
11-13-2018, 09:19 AM
We love Machi Koro

georgiegirl
11-13-2018, 09:33 AM
My kid love telestrations. And apples to apples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
11-13-2018, 09:42 AM
I knew I was forgetting one- Apples to Apples is a favorite here. I’d lean to the junior version as it has fewer pop culture references (which many kids don’t get).

georgiegirl
11-13-2018, 09:46 AM
I knew I was forgetting one- Apples to Apples is a favorite here. I’d lean to the junior version as it has fewer pop culture references (which many kids don’t get).

The junior version is very fun because it has words like “underpants” (which is the winner every time) and “recess” and “string cheese.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lil_acorn
11-13-2018, 10:45 AM
We like Blokus

vonfirmath
11-13-2018, 01:04 PM
I buy a new family board game for Christmas each year. None are jumping out at me this year yet. Recommend your (new?) favorites. Some hits in the past have been Say Anything, Wits and Wagers, Ticket to Ride, and 5 Second Rule. Thanks!

Do you have Tsuro? PAndemic?

Those are two games we love. And Rummikub. Neither is extremely new though. I also love Dominion but my 7 year old is still too young to manage that one.

vonfirmath
11-13-2018, 01:05 PM

OOoh. We have Apples to Apples Kids. I may have to find junior so we have more choices of cards.
(Everyone here loves it because not even teh adults know the pop culture references)

lizzywednesday
11-13-2018, 04:54 PM
Sushi Go

DD and I also love Sushi Go and recommend Moose in the House, Set, and Flux ... though they are card games rather than board games. (Card games go over a lot better in our family than board games.)

Oh, and if you don't already have Jenga, get it.

Momit
11-13-2018, 08:44 PM
Scotland Yard is our favorite family game.

anonomom
11-13-2018, 09:43 PM
My kids are recently obsessed with Munchkin Pathfinder. We all like The Wizard Always Wins.

49 is another fun one.

petesgirl
11-14-2018, 12:09 AM
The Game of Things
Taboo
Catch Phrase
What Do You Meme?

solsister
11-14-2018, 04:15 AM
Sleeping Queens is fantastic!!

magnoliaparadise
11-14-2018, 10:16 AM
We love Sleeping Queens, too. And Mancala, which my kids have gotten into lately.

I have my eye on Catan.

I'm following this thread!! I want us to be more of a board-game family!!

umsh
11-14-2018, 11:50 AM
Scotland Yard is our favorite family game.

The Ravensburger games are Amazons deal of the day today! I’m tempted to pick this up but not sure if 6 yr old DS is ready for it...tempted to just get it and hold onto until he is.

vonfirmath
11-14-2018, 01:45 PM
The Ravensburger games are Amazons deal of the day today! I’m tempted to pick this up but not sure if 6 yr old DS is ready for it...tempted to just get it and hold onto until he is.

My sister loved this when we were kids. But yes, your 6 year old may not be ready. I don't think my 7 year old is ready yet

newnana
11-14-2018, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the ravensburger deal of the day tip! We're always looking to stock the game area for family Christmas gifts, thanks for this thread!

In case you don't already have the old classics, they are generally our family's favorites for all ages:
Pictionary
Scrabble
Battleship
Apples to Apples
Headbands (DH hates this one, he has a tendency to ask questions that result in all three of the following answers every time: yes! NO! Umm, sorta?)
Trivial Pursuit or if the kiddos are younger, Beat the Parents - trivia questions for kids vs adults
Scattergories
Cranium

umsh
11-14-2018, 03:16 PM
My sister loved this when we were kids. But yes, your 6 year old may not be ready. I don't think my 7 year old is ready yet

He still doesn’t fully understand Clue yet so I guess we’ll hold off for a bit, thanks!

DietCokeLover
11-14-2018, 06:38 PM
These are great suggestions! Thank you!

SnuggleBuggles
11-14-2018, 09:15 PM
Adding another- Dragonwood.

urquie
11-15-2018, 02:33 AM
We are really enjoying double ditto!

https://amazon.com/Inspiration-Play-Double-Ditto-Family/dp/B00UA7O1GW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542263404&sr=8-2&keywords=Double+ditto

trcy
11-15-2018, 07:44 AM
Beat the parents
Uno (not a board game, but we play it a lot around here)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

jawilli4
11-15-2018, 08:43 AM
Pente - it's a classic game and it gets a lot of love around here. It is similar to Connect 4 only 2 - 4 players use a game board and colored glass stones to try to get 5 in a row. I read you can buy more glass stones (from a craft store) to add more players. We always just play to win the game versus keeping track of every time we win to gain points. It is easier and faster that way.

https://www.amazon.com/Winning-Moves-Games-Strategy-Capture/dp/B078KYR97B/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542284892&sr=8-1&keywords=pente

Melaine
11-15-2018, 10:46 AM
Awesome thread! It's a card game, but my family has been obsessed with Dutch Blitz since early summer. We've spent hours playing it!

magnoliaparadise
11-15-2018, 01:58 PM
I am going to put so many of these on my wish list!

SnuggleBuggles
11-15-2018, 02:29 PM
FYI- just a useful tip I've learned. Occasionally I'm the slowest to pick up a new game. I have taken to watching YouTube videos showing how the games are played. Bonus is I pick up useful strategies! If your family buys something too tricky, just watch some game play videos.

jgenie
11-15-2018, 02:40 PM
FYI- just a useful tip I've learned. Occasionally I'm the slowest to pick up a new game. I have taken to watching YouTube videos showing how the games are played. Bonus is I pick up useful strategies! If your family buys something too tricky, just watch some game play videos.

Great tip! I’m completely lost on some of the newer games. I’m off to hunt for videos!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)