PDA

View Full Version : Gluten free cookies

Pilotbaby
11-13-2018, 07:04 PM
Hello everyone,
I have a decorated sugar cookies business and I had someone ask me about making gluten free cookies. I don't know much at all about being gluten free and am wondering if anyone has a great gluten free sugar cookie recipe. They need to taste great, not spread too much during baking and be easy to decorate. TIA

chlobo
11-13-2018, 07:38 PM
Hello everyone,
I have a decorated sugar cookies business and I had someone ask me about making gluten free cookies. I don't know much at all about being gluten free and am wondering if anyone has a great gluten free sugar cookie recipe. They need to taste great, not spread too much during baking and be easy to decorate. TIA

I have made this with a variety of gluten free flours. Lately we are really liking King Arthur flour mix so I would try that if I were to do it again:

From Gluten free gobsmacked

1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups GF flou
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
2-3 tbl milk

preheat oven to 375*

cream shortening and sugar. add egg and beat together well for 2-3 min.

whisk dry ingredients together in separate bowl

add to creamed ingredients and mix

add 2-3 tbl milk until perfect, non-sticky cookie dough is achieved

roll out to 1/4 - 1/3 inch thickness

bake 6-7 min

TwinFoxes
11-13-2018, 07:42 PM
I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but just in case... for people with Celiac's Disease eating gluten is very serious. So you have to make sure the cookies don't come into contact with gluten. My niece has Celiac's, and when we were all vacationing as a family she had to have separate peanut butter and jelly because she couldn't have a knife that was used on regular bread dipped into her PB or J. Also, a separate toaster. It's not a "I feel better without gluten" thing for her, it's a serious health condition that caused her to be underweight and sick for years before diagnosis. So make sure your kitchen is free of gluten cross-contamination for that batch.

calebsmama03
11-13-2018, 08:30 PM
^^ This. I’d tell the person ordering that you’re not a dedicated GF facility and will do your best but can’t guarantee no cross contamination (kind of like the warning on packaged goods- made in a facility that also processes...)

For any GF cookies you will need to chill WELL before baking so they don’t spread. I rarely do cut outs because I find them a pain in the @$$ even non GF 😂 but the few times I did I thought I used a recipe off either Bakerella or “Bake at 350”. But may have just used cup for cup and used their regular recipes. ETA I looked and can’t find so most I’ve just used the Bake at 350 recipe and modified with gf flour.

wendibird22
11-13-2018, 08:38 PM
I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but just in case... for people with Celiac's Disease eating gluten is very serious. So you have to make sure the cookies don't come into contact with gluten. My niece has Celiac's, and when we were all vacationing as a family she had to have separate peanut butter and jelly because she couldn't have a knife that was used on regular bread dipped into her PB or J. Also, a separate toaster. It's not a "I feel better without gluten" thing for her, it's a serious health condition that caused her to be underweight and sick for years before diagnosis. So make sure your kitchen is free of gluten cross-contamination for that batch.

Yes, agreed. I can't bake anything GF in the oven at the same time as anything non-GF or else I get sick. So when DH is making pizza or zucchini bread, my GF version is baked first. All of the baking dishes, utensils, etc have to be free of any remnants of flour. Personally, and most Celiacs I know, wouldn't eat an item that wasn't prepared with dedicated GF cookware or having it lined with parchment so that the cookies don't come into contact with a surface that has had regular flour on it. And that goes for the mixer too.

The other option would be to be sure to include a label on the item that alerts consumers to possible cross-contamination/not prepared in a gluten free environment.

Here's a great recipe: https://www.goodforyouglutenfree.com/gluten-free-sugar-cookie-recipe/

Peaches Keane
11-13-2018, 11:08 PM
Downshiftology is a gluten free blogger who has some recipes. Here are some examples: https://downshiftology.com/recipe-index/?fwp_search=Cookies. She has a YouTube channel as well.

Pilotbaby
11-16-2018, 07:58 PM
Thank you. I told her that I couldn't guarantee no cross contamination because I just don't feel certain that I could fully sanitize everything and would just be too worried about someone getting sick. I think she might just be an "I feel better without gluten" person because she said it was no problem. Thank you so much though- that is very important.

Pilotbaby
11-16-2018, 08:07 PM
Thank you- I did tell her but I like the idea of also putting a warning on the package. My regular recipe does not need to be chilled. I was thinking of just using that but substituting gluten free flour for my regular flour. Is there something about the gluten free flour that requires it to be chilled versus regular flour? If so, maybe I'll choose a different recipe altogether.
^^ This. I’d tell the person ordering that you’re not a dedicated GF facility and will do your best but can’t guarantee no cross contamination (kind of like the warning on packaged goods- made in a facility that also processes...)

For any GF cookies you will need to chill WELL before baking so they don’t spread. I rarely do cut outs because I find them a pain in the @$$ even non GF �� but the few times I did I thought I used a recipe off either Bakerella or “Bake at 350”. But may have just used cup for cup and used their regular recipes. ETA I looked and can’t find so most I’ve just used the Bake at 350 recipe and modified with gf flour.

wendibird22
11-16-2018, 11:41 PM
Thank you- I did tell her but I like the idea of also putting a warning on the package. My regular recipe does not need to be chilled. I was thinking of just using that but substituting gluten free flour for my regular flour. Is there something about the gluten free flour that requires it to be chilled versus regular flour? If so, maybe I'll choose a different recipe altogether.

Gluten is the glue that keeps baked goods from being dry and crumbly. GF flour mixes make up for that with things like xantham gum but it’s not the same. I think if you want to be sure they hold their shape when baked you’d want to chill the dough. I use boxed Wegmans GF sugar cookie mix for our cut outs and we have to keep that chilled or they come out like blobs.

calebsmama03
11-17-2018, 09:56 PM
What she said. :D Without the gluten everything is squishier and less bound together. You will absolutely have to chill the dough. I'd also bake one at a time while you play with the time. GF baking for stuff like that really is such a pain in the butt. :( It just doesn't come out well or reliably. Stuff like brownies are no problem but anything that has to rise or hold a shape can turn out horribly with the slightest glitch.
BTW, when I say chill I mean work with it when it's cold to roll and cut but the chill the cut outs really well before baking.

ETA: I asked around and this was recommended as a recipe that doesn't spread and doesn't require chilling if followed exactly. Can't personally vouch https://www.evolvingtable.com/cut-out-sugar-cookies-dont-spread/