PDA

View Full Version : Spin-off on the Switch—WWYD for Christmas?

bisous
11-14-2018, 10:34 AM
My budget per kid is $100 or less. Though usually I spend a little more on the older kids and sometimes considerably less on the younger ones! ($100 for a 5yo goes way further!)

This year DS1 approached me and basically asked if he came up with $200 could I contribute another $100 and he could get a switch for Christmas. I guess that could work. He’d use it and he’d be awesome at sharing. I have two issue though.

First, it would mean he’d spend ALL of his money. It would obliterate his savings and I don’t know if I really want him to do that. He’s 15 and there is no way we can pay for all of college for him (nor do we want to but that’s a post for another day). He needs to think long term! But he’s always spent every cent he earns usually immediately! It’s rare that he holds onto it so long.

Second, gaming is not my favorite priority for the kids. With our tiny budget it seems like an extraordinary expense out of step with our usual household expenses.

The only “gaming” we have right now is an iPad2 and a 3DS that DS1 owns (and shares always).

Now, one more wrinkle. DS2 wants the 2DS. I don’t understand why that’s more desirable than the 3DS but there it is. Otherwise I was thinking I could contribute “all” of DS1s money and “all” of DS2s money to buy the switch....(maybe requiring that they meet part of the cost???)

Still seems extravagant to me.

I do want even these big boys (15 and 11) to have a magical feeling about Christmas. I tend to go practical and educational but I do want to honor that feeling that one day a year we get things just for fun...

I couldn’t be more proud of them right now. DS1 is taking a very challenging course load and ADHD aside is excelling at it and putting so much effort into it. He’s the best oldest brother I could ever imagine. DS2 is similarly such a light in our house. He’s helpful, kind, and does whatever he is asked.

I want to gift them this, but I worry that it’s too expensive and that it is out of step with what we do in our family. We’re a low screen family usually.

It is interesting because I recognize as I read here that our current financial situation (lots of student loan debt) is a product of how expensive college is but my attitude and DHs attitude towards money is also a contributer. I want to be better about modeling and teaching my kids.

WWYD?

SnuggleBuggles
11-14-2018, 10:43 AM
You aren't dooming their values towards money by buying them a video game system for Christmas. :)

Pitch the idea of buying one for him and his brother to share. If that's no good, go with ds1's proposal.

He's only 15- I think it's absolutely fine to be a bit short sighted and frivolous. Once he gets a real job then he can start socking a portion away for college. It doesn't sound like you told him his savings were untouchable and earmarked for college- something you should have done if that was the case. You can corret course going forward but at this point he's probably been saving up for something fun and this is it.

TwinFoxes
11-14-2018, 10:54 AM
Realistically, $200 is nothing towards college. I wouldn't let that figure into my decision really. If he were actually trying to dip into a college fund, that'd be a big no. But this seems like just random savings.

What about getting DS1 a Switch, and along with his cash contribution he gives his DS3 to his younger brother? Maybe your younger son is asking for a DS2 because he think you'll be more likely to get him an older model instead of the newest?

One thing to keep in mind, he'll need games for the Switch, so that is an added cost.

Lastly, your screen rules don't have to change just because you have a new device.

Percycat
11-14-2018, 11:17 AM
This may be obvious.... but another thing to remember is that most of the games for switch are expensive too.... its not a one time purchase. Does your library have games to borrow?

o_mom
11-14-2018, 11:23 AM
We are in the midst of the Switch deal comparison here, so I'll throw out a couple thoughts:

The $299 bundle for BF has one game. (don't forget tax which adds $20+)
Games are $60 regular price, $25-40 on sale.

2DS has a bundle for $80 on BF - again, with one game.
2DS games are cheaper, but still $20-40 each.

I also heard they are discontinuing the DS line, so while there will be plenty of used game options at GameStop, and he can share the games you have, there will not be new games long term.

khalloc
11-14-2018, 11:36 AM
I'd let your son buy the Switch if he wants it. $200 wont make a dent in college costs and he should be able to spend his money if its something he really wants. I agree Switch games are expensive but maybe you can buy them used, or get both your DSs to agree on the switch and you buy that and a couple of games. My son loved Mario Odyssey. I loved Snipper Clippers and they can play that together. Sometimes they sell digital download games (like Snipper Clippers) on the Nintendo store for cheaper.

jgenie
11-14-2018, 01:52 PM
I would get the switch as a combined family gift. It’s easy to make the little guys happy with relatively less money. They will get their turn at more expensive gifts when they’re older and your big kids are out of the house. We’re low screen but we got the Xbox One last year. They only get to play it on weekend afternoons. We set the rules from the beginning and haven’t had a problem. DS1 got an iPad last year for his birthday and the same rules apply.

Liziz
11-14-2018, 03:48 PM
So there's lots of factors to consider other than this in your post, but one thought -- you say your DS1 has always been bad about saving his money, always spends it right away, and that it's rare he's ever had this much. So....part of the point of saving money is so that you're able to spend it. If this money isn't directly earmarked for college already, which it sounds like it's not -- let him spend it! Let him understand the beauty of what saving money for awhile gets you. If you don't let him spend the money he's (finally) worked hard for awhile to save, what's his encouragement to keep saving, vs. just going back to his old habits of spending it as soon as he earns it? Now, also make sure to let him also understand what comes next, when you chose to spend all your money....it's gone. So when he next might want something and doesn't have the money because he spend it on the Switch -- well, that's a lesson, too.

In regards to him needing money for college -- I hate to say it, but $200 is nothing. And despite my intense belief in the importance of saving for college, I don't really think it's "fair" to expect a teen to willingly just not spend any of his hard-saved money because he'll need it for college. I do believe in saving for college, but I think it makes a lot more sense (and is easier for all involved) to have it somehow set into different accounts. In our house, my DDs both have a "college" account and a "personal" account. Whenever they get money, they split it in half -- half goes into their college account and won't be touched until they're in college, while the other half is theirs to do with as they choose -- for anything (that is safe/moral etc of course). If you want your DS to be saving for college, I encourage something like this rather than expecting him to just rationally think about the fact that he should save some of his money -- especially since he's historically been a quick money spender.

Kindra178
11-14-2018, 04:47 PM
I think you should buy him the switch and leave it at that. Your 4 year old won’t appreciate the difference between a 40 budget and a 80 budget.

Re the 200, I disagree with other posters. Yes, the 200 is nothing for college tuition or housing. But 200 is a lot towards college spending money! That’s almost a month of spending money, maybe more.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)