PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a humidifier

khalloc
11-14-2018, 12:22 PM
Our house is extremely dry in the winter. DH feels it especially. He has chronic nosebleeds and cracking skin/lips. I'd like to give a humidifier a try. I'm thinking if we run it in our master bedroom overnight, that might be best? Cool mist or warm mist? Any recommendations?

legaleagle
11-14-2018, 05:17 PM
The wirecutter has a good review - which one you want somewhat depends on the size of the room. Definitely cool mist though, and something easy to clean!

candaceb
11-14-2018, 06:00 PM
We got a whole house humidifier attached to our furnace last year and it was the best $600 I ever spent. Never have to worry about it other than going down to the basement and adjusting the dial if it gets super cold and more dry than usual. Knowing that you're in New England though - if you have an oil burning furnace that suggestion isn't helpful.

khalloc
11-15-2018, 10:16 AM
We got a whole house humidifier attached to our furnace last year and it was the best $600 I ever spent. Never have to worry about it other than going down to the basement and adjusting the dial if it gets super cold and more dry than usual. Knowing that you're in New England though - if you have an oil burning furnace that suggestion isn't helpful.

We are on Natural Gas but we have baseboard heat, not forced air. Is the whole house humidifier something where the moisture gets released by vents (from forced air?) because we dont have that.

ang79
11-15-2018, 11:49 AM

Please share more, like brand, etc.! Did you have an HVAC company install? Do you have to change filters or anything? I was talking to my brother about it and his concern was possible mold/mildew issues if it gets too much moisture in the air. We have a gas furnace and forced air vents and the air feels much drier here than it did in our old house where we had oil base board heat. DH has always had trouble (nose bleeds), but I'm feeling it now with super dry skin and sinus issues too. $600 certainly does not seem much to help with the dryness issues longterm! We do have Crane animal humidifers for the bedrooms, but they are such a pain to thoroughly clean.

candaceb
11-15-2018, 07:56 PM
Please share more, like brand, etc.! Did you have an HVAC company install? Do you have to change filters or anything? I was talking to my brother about it and his concern was possible mold/mildew issues if it gets too much moisture in the air. We have a gas furnace and forced air vents and the air feels much drier here than it did in our old house where we had oil base board heat. DH has always had trouble (nose bleeds), but I'm feeling it now with super dry skin and sinus issues too. $600 certainly does not seem much to help with the dryness issues longterm! We do have Crane animal humidifers for the bedrooms, but they are such a pain to thoroughly clean.

It's Carrier and was installed by the HVAC company that also installed our furnace and AC. It is linked to the furnace running, so it only runs when the furnace does. There are no filters. I'm pretty sure we have the "performance" model https://www.carrier.com/residential/en/us/products/indoor-air-quality/humidifiers/

It's not going to put too much humidity in the house because it is adjustable. We have a humidity reading on our Ecobee thermostat, and try to keep the humidity level around 50% - which is the max recommended by DS's allergist. There is one setting that works 90% of the time and then we have to adjust if it is bitterly cold for an extended period and gets extra dry.

magnoliaparadise
11-16-2018, 12:43 PM
following - soooo dry now.

Daniel596
02-25-2019, 06:32 AM
I recommend putting at once a whole house humidifier. He will immediately help your child and you. Breathing dry air for a long time is harmful, and you may have health problems. Take care of the humidifier as early as possible!

petesgirl
02-25-2019, 01:28 PM
It's Carrier and was installed by the HVAC company that also installed our furnace and AC. It is linked to the furnace running, so it only runs when the furnace does. There are no filters. I'm pretty sure we have the "performance" model https://www.carrier.com/residential/en/us/products/indoor-air-quality/humidifiers/

It's not going to put too much humidity in the house because it is adjustable. We have a humidity reading on our Ecobee thermostat, and try to keep the humidity level around 50% - which is the max recommended by DS's allergist. There is one setting that works 90% of the time and then we have to adjust if it is bitterly cold for an extended period and gets extra dry.

I've been trying to talk my DH into getting one of these for years! Thanks for the rec.

khalloc
02-25-2019, 02:29 PM
I ended up buying a LEVOIT cool mist humidifier. I cant get a whole-house humidifier. I dont have forced-air heat. I have baseboard heating. There are no "vents" in the house for the humidity to come out of. I mean I suppose I could get one, but that seems like it would be a HUGE cost with changing our heating system as well.