PDA

View Full Version : THANKSGIVING CARDS in lieu of Christmas?

bisous
11-14-2018, 08:43 PM
I read on a blog about a family that did this growing up and I’m interested in trying this. I love the idea of getting a message out early, before the hustle of “the holiday” season. Since we’ve been behind since pretty much DS3 was born, I’d like to send a mass of cards out. I have postage and photo we took over the summer. DH has the skills to create a custom card through Costco ($13.99 for 50 cards!) I’m just wondering if you’ve seen anything like this before? Or seen any designs that you like? My google search doesn’t turn up much for “inspiration”. TIA!

SnuggleBuggles
11-14-2018, 08:52 PM
I like Valentines better. :) But, there are plenty of rustic look templates that would be fine for a thanksgiving themed card.

SnuggleBuggles
11-14-2018, 08:54 PM
Also, there's no reason you can't just do your Christmas cards now. You can barely get a Thanksgiving order together in time and mailed out anyway. Just order Christmas ones and sit down and do them before things get busy.

sariana
11-14-2018, 08:57 PM
Lol, we moved this past summer, and I just got around to sending our "We've Moved" cards. People are going to think they're getting holiday cards, but nope--just my terribly belated address update (barely in time for their holiday card list update).

ETA: Sometimes Costco puts out a coupon for the photo cards ($5 off). That would be the only reason I might say to wait--there might be a coupon in the December book. Otherwise I agree with PPs--just go for it!

Corie
11-14-2018, 09:05 PM
What about Happy New Year cards??? We did that one year.

bisous
11-14-2018, 09:28 PM
You guys we're so unorganized that without planning ahead or being intentional about it we've done New Years cards AND Valentines cards before, lol. I"d feel fine about that if we MEANT to but we were just behind... This year I'm sorta ahead? Maybe not that much? I guess I LIKE the sentiment of Thanksgiving so much. I feel like my community has been hit SO hard this year. I drove around today to survey the damage. THere was a lot of burnt brush and a lot of spared homes (and unfortunately some that were hit pretty hard). I see flags for the victims of violence that rocked this community too. I just want to spread a message of THanks. We've been hit hard, but we have some pretty great people that live here, some amazing emergency personnel who have done more for us than we can ever appreciate, and so much to be thankful for STILL that we realize only in times when we've risked almost everything.

I could get cards tomorrow from Costco and in the mail Friday... Is that enough time? DH has always been able to make a custom layout so I could make one that says "Thanksgiving" on it. I would love to save the money... but maybe not more than getting the cards out right away so I don't have to think of it anymore!

sariana
11-14-2018, 09:30 PM
You guys we're so unorganized that without planning ahead or being intentional about it we've done New Years cards AND Valentines cards before, lol. I"d feel fine about that if we MEANT to but we were just behind... This year I'm sorta ahead? Maybe not that much? I guess I LIKE the sentiment of Thanksgiving so much. I feel like my community has been hit SO hard this year. I drove around today to survey the damage. THere was a lot of burnt brush and a lot of spared homes (and unfortunately some that were hit pretty hard). I see flags for the victims of violence that rocked this community too. I just want to spread a message of THanks. We've been hit hard, but we have some pretty great people that live here, some amazing emergency personnel who have done more for us than we can ever appreciate, and so much to be thankful for STILL that we realize only in times when we've risked almost everything.

I could get cards tomorrow from Costco and in the mail Friday... Is that enough time? DH has always been able to make a custom layout so I could make one that says "Thanksgiving" on it. I would love to save the money... but maybe not more than getting the cards out right away so I don't have to think of it anymore!

It's enough time. Just do it! You're motivated and you have the resources you need. And yes, it's a wonderful sentiment. People will appreciate it.

PunkyBoo
11-14-2018, 09:56 PM
I think it's a wonderful sentiment, and would be so touched if I received one. Especially if it said something like "we're thankful for your friendship" , something to tie in the reason for sending it now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

belovedgandp
11-14-2018, 10:09 PM
Go with whatever you want.

I have a cousin who does Halloween cards because she knows she can get them out. My friends who are way on top of the holiday cards will have them in the mail the Friday after Thanksgiving. I've also received Christmas/New Year's well into January.

We also moved August 1st. Never got change of address cards out. So I'm mailing them tomorrow. It's a fall picture with a generic message - Costco's wonderful life. The letter is my typical holiday letter with the move details. So my holiday cards are 10 days early or my moving cards are 10 weeks late.... however you want to look at it.

specialp
11-14-2018, 10:36 PM
It is fine. We received two. One a photo card, the other not. Not people we know well.

Pear
11-15-2018, 01:02 AM
We get a couple of Thanksgiving cards a year. I like getting them.

Seems like a good solution for people faced with potential cultural clashes.

KpbS
11-15-2018, 01:05 AM
Absolutely. Go for it.

Melaine
11-15-2018, 11:00 AM
I like it! Anything you can get off your checklist and done ahead of time is awesome IMO!

WatchingThemGrow
11-15-2018, 12:13 PM
MIL has hers done and in the mail so that they arrive on Black Friday.

I usually try to take advantage of the BF specials on the Sam's and Costco websites...or the staples groupon. Whatever the case, now is good to get them ready!

hwin708
11-15-2018, 07:30 PM
It looks like the regular photo card sites have a whole category for Thasnksgiving, so clearly people must be doing it!
https://www.simplytoimpress.com/cards/thanksgiving
https://www.shutterfly.com/cards-stationery/thanksgiving-cards
https://www.mixbook.com/cards/thanksgiving-cards
https://www.minted.com/thanksgiving-cards-invitations

I've never received one, but to be honest, if a card came around Thanksgiving saying "Giving Thanks," I would just assume it's someone who got out their Christmas cards quickly and not give it another thought.

Either way - go for it. Holiday cards are definitely the sort of thing you have to do when you have the time and the MOTIVATION, so if you are feeling the itch now, do it!

bisous
11-15-2018, 07:53 PM
It looks like the regular photo card sites have a whole category for Thasnksgiving, so clearly people must be doing it!
https://www.simplytoimpress.com/cards/thanksgiving
https://www.shutterfly.com/cards-stationery/thanksgiving-cards
https://www.mixbook.com/cards/thanksgiving-cards
https://www.minted.com/thanksgiving-cards-invitations

I've never received one, but to be honest, if a card came around Thanksgiving saying "Giving Thanks," I would just assume it's someone who got out their Christmas cards quickly and not give it another thought.

Either way - go for it. Holiday cards are definitely the sort of thing you have to do when you have the time and the MOTIVATION, so if you are feeling the itch now, do it!

Thanks for linking these! We're on it. DH wanted to tweak the design a little so we're a tiny bit behind. But it will feel nice to be DONE and the expression feels true.

SnuggleBuggles
11-15-2018, 09:05 PM
You inspired me, btw. I was stuck at home waiting for a delivery and I finished my holiday card order plus the annual photo calendars. Done!

bisous
11-15-2018, 09:35 PM
You inspired me, btw. I was stuck at home waiting for a delivery and I finished my holiday card order plus the annual photo calendars. Done!

Oh good! It feels really nice to be almost done with this this year, instead of scrambling in the middle of the month!