PDA

View Full Version : Question for Teachers / Teacher Lounge

LD92599
11-15-2018, 10:23 AM
I'm on our PTO Board and one of the projects this year is to remodel the teacher lounge/kitchen. New furniture, fridge, oven, Keurig, etc.

If you're a teacher, what features do YOU wish you had, love that you do have, etc?

I'm going to create a google survey for the staff for their feedback but I'm unsure what to even include to get started!

Melaine
11-15-2018, 10:58 AM
I'm only a two days a week teaching assistant but I love that our kitchen has two microwaves. Sometimes you end up losing a lot of your lunch break in just heating up your meal!

SnuggleBuggles
11-15-2018, 11:26 AM
We just did this last year. We had a few key staff members in each building that we sought feedback from. They reached out to their co-workers as well. We had a Google Form survey too and asked what they'd like.

Our school tries to be environmentally conscious and vetoed a Keurig. Might be something to consider.

We were on a tighter budget than it sounds like you are on. These are the things we did:
new couch (nothing fancy, just IKEA)
refinished the existing tables (the Girl Scout troop actually did this; the teacher had requested new tables because the tops were in poor shape but our budget wasn't big enough for that)
new credenza (IKEA)
3 microwaves (donated- people seemed to have these around because of remodel projects)- this was super popular!
new silverware (a frequently asked for item)
spices (Trader Joe's stuff like chili lime blend, garlic salt, everything seasoning...)- this had been asked for as well
wall decorations
throw pillows
new lamps
long arm stapler
napkins/ napkin holder
trivet

We thought about an ice maker as their freezer doesn't have one but all the stand alones in our budget got poor reviews.

For your survey, I'd include a way for them to rank/ prioritize things so you can really give the budget where it needs to go.

PZMommy
11-15-2018, 04:06 PM
2 microwaves would be my top wish. We just have 1, but could use a second one. Also depending on the size of your staff, a large fridge or 2 fridges.

doberbrat
11-15-2018, 08:21 PM
2 microwaves are a must. 3 would be nice some days. a toaster oven is also a really nice thing to have - that way you can bring in pizza from home etc. A large fridge (or even 2) as they get filled quickly. Coffee machine. cake server for special occasions. drink machine (oay for coke/water etc) We also have an electric tea kettle

ray7694
11-15-2018, 08:26 PM
I would prefer appliances over couches and pillows. Not much time for relaxing.

We have a fridge, separate small pop fridge which we stock ourselves and pay for, silverware, dishes, and keurig.

Wish list
Nice soap/hand towels in bathroom
Coffee
Tea
Chocolate
Disposable plates and cups for special treat days
Salt and pepper
Ketchup

TwinFoxes
11-16-2018, 04:41 AM
Our PTA did this recently. I think the teachers really appreciated the re-do of the bathrooms. They have nice small credenzas, art, lotions and nice non-industrial grade hand soaps. The PTA also painted the lounge and bathrooms.

I would definitely put the call out for donations. People were very generous.

alleycat
11-17-2018, 10:01 AM
We have three microwaves, two full size refrigerators, a sitting area with sofa, coffee table, chair & cushions, and a large table. I would like a water cooler and a sink that's not in the bathroom.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

LD92599
11-17-2018, 11:34 AM
This feedback is perfect!!

Melaine
11-19-2018, 04:12 PM
I think a berkey water filter would be AMAZING in a teacher's lounge (I have an alexapure which is basically the same but cheaper). I would prefer something like that to nicer furniture like pp said.