PDA

View Full Version : Furniture for the uninitiated.....North Carolina? Texas?

mommy111
11-18-2018, 12:01 AM
We need to buy furniture for our home. Like too to bottom. I don’t want to spend an arm and a leg but I also don’t want things to look tacky/cheap/old. What do we do? I’ve heard you order from North Carolina, but I have no idea who from, how do I get in touch wit. Them etc? Anyone done a massive furniture buy? Who did you use?

mmsmom
11-18-2018, 09:28 AM
Either High Point or Hickory NC are great but much better if you can go in person. I also know several people who have furnished houses using Wayfair. We recently moved and I have bought a lot on Wayfair. There are many items you can get color/wood samples for which helps as color does not translate well on screen.

For NC, if you find something you want you can then call to see if they have it. I recommend Furnitureland South in High Point. They will give you a person to work with and they can send you pictures, prices, etc and then coordinate getting everything in one shipment.

jent
11-18-2018, 11:33 AM
Thanks for asking this question... we need to buy a fair amount of new stuff for our new home too. What is the advantage to buying direct from NC versus a local furniture store? Quality? Price?

mmsmom
11-18-2018, 11:50 AM
Thanks for asking this question... we need to buy a fair amount of new stuff for our new home too. What is the advantage to buying direct from NC versus a local furniture store? Quality? Price?

Quality and price. While a lot of manufacturing has moved overseas there is still quite a lot made in NC. A lot of manufacturers have showrooms so you can buy direct. We just bought a custom leather sectional that was made in NC and cost far less than it would have elsewhere.

You can google to find tips and blogs that talk about specific brands and where to go. There are also individual guides that will help you... they are paid by the showrooms so the service is free. I have no used one but friends rave about it. I will see if I can find the specific name.

ETA: Here she is: http://www.ncfurnitureadvisor.com/

mommy111
11-18-2018, 10:43 PM
Quality and price. While a lot of manufacturing has moved overseas there is still quite a lot made in NC. A lot of manufacturers have showrooms so you can buy direct. We just bought a custom leather sectional that was made in NC and cost far less than it would have elsewhere.

You can google to find tips and blogs that talk about specific brands and where to go. There are also individual guides that will help you... they are paid by the showrooms so the service is free. I have no used one but friends rave about it. I will see if I can find the specific name.

ETA: Here she is: http://www.ncfurnitureadvisor.com/
Thank you!! This is awesome!!

westwoodmom04
11-18-2018, 11:14 PM
You can also buy all the major high end furniture brands at your local independent furniture store, but you will likely pay a higher mark up.

magnoliaparadise
11-19-2018, 04:04 AM
I had heard about this. I also will need top to bottom furniture soon.

But... does this all mean that you literally buy the furniture without having sat on it (for couches) or seen it in person? That seems like a big investment and risk, no? I mean, I'm all for saving money for good quality, but I would be worried that I would receive the furniture and hate it and have no recourse for return. Does this issue come up ever?

I suppose if I had a reason to visit NC, that would be an in person trip that would be worthwhile. I really don't, though, and depending upon where the most furniture is, I wouldn't even go as a tourist. (Even if I did want to go as a tourist, I'd have my kids in tow so I'm sure furniture-shopping wouldn't be so easy. And if I just went on my own, I'd have to figure out who would watch them, which brings its own logistics and/or money).

Just went online to the Furniture Advisor webpage and that woman makes it sound on her website like you go along with her in person, no?

mmsmom
11-19-2018, 05:56 PM
I had heard about this. I also will need top to bottom furniture soon.

But... does this all mean that you literally buy the furniture without having sat on it (for couches) or seen it in person? That seems like a big investment and risk, no? I mean, I'm all for saving money for good quality, but I would be worried that I would receive the furniture and hate it and have no recourse for return. Does this issue come up ever?

I suppose if I had a reason to visit NC, that would be an in person trip that would be worthwhile. I really don't, though, and depending upon where the most furniture is, I wouldn't even go as a tourist. (Even if I did want to go as a tourist, I'd have my kids in tow so I'm sure furniture-shopping wouldn't be so easy. And if I just went on my own, I'd have to figure out who would watch them, which brings its own logistics and/or money).

Just went online to the Furniture Advisor webpage and that woman makes it sound on her website like you go along with her in person, no?

Ideally you go in person. But you can also shop locally then call a place like Furnitureland South in High Point to see what their price is.

For certain things I do think you need to see in person. However I have bought a lot on Wayfair recently and I just make sure it is returnable. So far I have not returned anything though. I rely on descriptions and reviews and often call/chat with questions before ordering.

ehmom
11-19-2018, 11:43 PM
We just bought new living room sofas and chairs. I would start by visiting local furniture stores and sitting on things to see how they feel to you. My husband is 6'3" and some things that felt nice to me, were too small for him. We visited several stores, and pinpointed a couple of brands that we liked. We worked with the designers in the stores to find fabrics we liked in the price point we wanted. We ended up ordering two Sherrill sofas and three chairs from Best Chair company. I was a bit nervous waiting for them to all be delivered, but I love them so much! The sofas are so comfortable and very, very well made. Hopefully they will last us 30 years or so. ( I inherited my grandparents' Sherrill sofa that they ordered in 1969, and it is still comfortable!)

I can't imagine ordering furniture sight unseen. After sitting on many pieces of furniture during the process, you realize your preferences that you wouldn't even realize from a picture online.

mommy111
11-20-2018, 07:25 AM
Thank you everyone for all the great feedback!! Mmsmom, I will contact the NC advisor but her website alone is so helpful!! Also the tips on wayfair!!