PDA

View Full Version : S/O How do you use your food processor?

jgenie
11-19-2018, 08:09 PM
I picked up a food processor last week when Costco had them on sale. I haven’t taken it out of the box yet. Please tell me all the cool ways you use your food processor. TIA

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2018, 08:21 PM
I used to use it more. Dicing veggies for soup, julienne potatoes. But I mostly use it now to make biscuits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doberbrat
11-19-2018, 09:55 PM
I use them often - chopping garlic for dressing. oatmeal to make flour. I puree spinach and beans into all ground beef mixtures. When I bake, I usually am pureeing bananas and oatmeal into stuff so I do it all into the food processor.

truly scrumptious
11-19-2018, 10:08 PM
:bag I'm intimidated by my food processor. Got it as a wedding gift 14 years ago and haven't used it once. Every few years I'll take it out of the box, look at all the pieces, make a half-hearted (unsuccessful) attempt to put them together, and then give up and convince myself that chopping onions by hand builds character...

ETA - But I finally got over my fear of the instapot (we have owned for 2 years) a couple of weeks ago and cooked my first meal in it, so all hope is not lost! Ha!

jgenie
11-19-2018, 10:31 PM
I use them often - chopping garlic for dressing. oatmeal to make flour. I puree spinach and beans into all ground beef mixtures. When I bake, I usually am pureeing bananas and oatmeal into stuff so I do it all into the food processor.

The puréed beans and spinach is pure genius! I’m adding that to my,list of tricks.

jgenie
11-19-2018, 10:32 PM
:bag I'm intimidated by my food processor. Got it as a wedding gift 14 years ago and haven't used it once. Every few years I'll take it out of the box, look at all the pieces, make a half-hearted (unsuccessful) attempt to put them together, and then give up and convince myself that chopping onions by hand builds character...

ETA - But I finally got over my fear of the instapot (we have owned for 2 years) a couple of weeks ago and cooked my first meal in it, so all hope is not lost! Ha!

Ive had my instapot for two years and have used it once too!

KpbS
11-19-2018, 11:02 PM
I use mine to make hummus

specialp
11-19-2018, 11:30 PM
Riced cauliflower mainly. I do not like the texture of store bought. Pesto in the summer. Beans to add to things. Salsa. Oatmeal flour. Mashed cauliflower. Zucchini for breads.

123LuckyMom
11-19-2018, 11:49 PM
Hummus, puréed cauliflower, chopped veggies, sliced veggies, sliced potatoes for homemade potato chips, mincing or pureeing veggies for turkey meatloaf or other mixes, banana muffin/bread batter, zucchini for zucchini bread, garlic butter, grating parmesan cheese. I use it far more often than my mixer.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Kindra178
11-20-2018, 12:15 AM
Grating cheese would be my goto use.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

klwa
11-20-2018, 08:32 AM
I got one solely to help me make slaw without having to grate the cabbage. :bag I haven't figured out how to make it do anything other than "mince" the veggies, but I really only wanted it for that one task, so it works for me. (I could probably use it to cut up onions for soups and stuff. That just occurred to me. That's how little it occurs to me to use it.)

legaleagle
11-20-2018, 10:48 AM
I have a few very specific recipes I use it for - a couple particular cookies that have ground nuts, cranberry relish, carrot cake, if I need a bunch of grated carrots for something else. I don't use it for pie pastry or biscuits. It's so annoying to clean I don't pull it out often. That said, I have a mini chopper attachment that came with my immersion blender and I've used that more often than I thought I would for mincing onions/carrots/celery/garlic, salad dressing, small amount of crepe batter etc.

PunkyBoo
11-20-2018, 11:30 AM
I use mine mostly for banana "ice cream". My kids love that with breakfast and it's a good way to use up too-brown bananas.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

catsnkid
11-20-2018, 02:49 PM
For shredding potatoes for potato pancakes and shredding carrots for a carrot salad.

anonomom
11-20-2018, 03:56 PM
I don't use mine often, because most of the time I think it's just as quick to use a hand grater. But I did use mine today to make a pastry for cranberry tarts. It's great for shredding veggies (like Brussels Sprouts), and to make things like homemade nutella.

AnnieW625
11-20-2018, 05:42 PM
Pie crust (recipe I found on chowhound)
Shredding cheese
Shredding large amounts of onions for enchiladas (I will often add the onions to the shredded cheese)
Making Oreo balls

I have the smaller 7 cup version and I am happy with it.

I also have a mini chop and use that a lot as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trcy
11-20-2018, 10:01 PM
My main uses are: peanut butter, hummus and pizza dough

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

jgenie
11-20-2018, 10:12 PM
My main uses are: peanut butter, hummus and pizza dough

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Would you share your hummus recipe please?

jgenie
11-20-2018, 10:13 PM
I use mine mostly for banana "ice cream". My kids love that with breakfast and it's a good way to use up too-brown bananas.

Do you just freeze the bananas then throw them 8n the food processor?

trcy
11-20-2018, 10:15 PM
Would you share your hummus recipe please?Sure. Here is the one I use.
https://www.cearaskitchen.com/fluffy-oil-free-hummus/

PunkyBoo
11-20-2018, 10:40 PM
Quote didn't work.... This is response to jgenie...
Yes, I freeze in chunks, then throw the frozen chunks into the food processor. Sometimes I add peanut butter or a little cocoa powder, or some frozen berries. Just pulse until it goes to what looks like sand, then keep going until it's creamy. Yum!

jgenie
11-20-2018, 11:04 PM
Quote didn't work.... This is response to jgenie...
Yes, I freeze in chunks, then throw the frozen chunks into the food processor. Sometimes I add peanut butter or a little cocoa powder, or some frozen berries. Just pulse until it goes to what looks like sand, then keep going until it's creamy. Yum!

Thank you!!

essnce629
11-21-2018, 12:19 AM
I use my mini food processor from Costco way more than my full size. The mini is perfect for dicing 1 onion, 1 bell pepper, or a handful of garlic cloves which is what I use it for the most. My big one is broken right now (the lid) but I used it mostly to puree roasted cauliflower to make mashed cauliflower/potatoes (I do half and half), shred blocks of cheese, or make dips.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk