PDA

View Full Version : Classroom Holiday Party Help

Liziz
11-21-2018, 03:51 PM
I'm in charge of my 1st grader's school Holiday party. Can you please help me out with ideas? My DD's class last year didn't do any parties, so I honestly don't really know much at all about what a good classroom party would even entail! Any thoughts/ideas of what makes for a good classroom party?

Thank you!!!

SnuggleBuggles
11-21-2018, 03:58 PM
Pinterest is your friend! And it's super important to cover expectations with your teacher. You need to know how long you have, any allergies, anything they don't like (like glitter for crafts ;)).
I like to make something useful craft wise- something they can gift to a loved one. An ornament if the majority celebrate Christmas or just something cute and wintery.

One year we precut mittens onto cardstock and let each kid decorate theirs with sequins, yarn scraps, fabric scraps, markers... we punched a hole in them and strung them up as a garland in the class. Very cute!

If no allergies, you can decorate sugar cookies. If allergies, again, pinterest is your friend.

eta- if you don't already use it/ something like it, use Sign up Genius to get helpers. 3 to help facilitate is good. Have people donate snacks and/ or supplies, if you want.

KrisM
11-21-2018, 04:06 PM
For that age, we did stations with groups of 4-6 kids. Each group spent 10 min or so in each station. Stations would be: decorate a cookie, play a themed game, make a themed craft, eat snacks brought in. If we had more than 4 groups, we did 2 games or 2 crafts. We usually ended with someone reading a themed book.

Game ideas: snowball on a spoon race or obstacle course (with a cotton ball on the spoon), Holiday bingo, draw a snowman as you roll dice (roll a 1, draw a body, roll a 2 to draw a hat, etc first one with a completed snowman wins), this penguin opposite game (I did it for a winter themed Valentine's party and it was fun.)

Crafts: some kind of make a snowman, santa, ornament, etc from paper, cotton, marshmallows, etc. Lots of things you can do here.

Decorate a cookie: shaped cookies, frosting, sprinkles, etc.

I like to collect $1-2 from each kid and buy all the stuff myself. I don't worry about it all showing up that way.

SnuggleBuggles
11-21-2018, 04:12 PM
I like to collect $1-2 from each kid and buy all the stuff myself. I don't worry about it all showing up that way.

Our school doesn't like us to do that. So the PTO gives each room parent $75 to spend each year on supplies. OP- do check on the norm at your school with asks and expectations. :)

KrisM
11-21-2018, 07:10 PM
Our school doesn't like us to do that. So the PTO gives each room parent $75 to spend each year on supplies. OP- do check on the norm at your school with asks and expectations. :)

Nice! That's a great idea. Ours is all parent donations, so I just ask for cash rather than items.

I agree to check with the teacher and see what is typical.

Liziz
11-23-2018, 03:35 AM
Thank you! These are some great ideas and guidance!

maydaymommy
11-23-2018, 08:52 PM
For several years I had the kids decorate frames as a station at the class party. I took a class pic, and filled the frames by the end of the day. I got the $1.00 wooden frames from Michaels/A.C. Moore with a coupon, spray painted them solid, and provided nicer stickers and supplies like washi tape and sparkly stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)