PDA

View Full Version : Echo Dot

DualvansMommy
11-23-2018, 03:57 PM
DS1 added the dot as one of his wishes on his list for this year. Been looking online and was initially gonna get the echo dot kids version with parental control but the reviews were scary terrible. So I started looking at the current version 3rd gen smart echo dot.

It would primarily be for DS1 to check the weather every morning, double as a clock, but I'm worried with the "down the rabbit hole...." in terms of information DS1 could potentially get that'll be inappropriate for him. This is especially more so since I can't hear what the dot will be saying too, to monitor.

Would you have the dot in your kids bedroom?

SnuggleBuggles
11-23-2018, 04:00 PM
Nope. No Dots... in the bedroom (my concern is privacy and the listening aspect). Just keep one in your family living space. That’s adequate for your kiddo’s needs/ interests. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HannaAddict
11-23-2018, 04:17 PM
We have no issue with one in our children’s bedroom. No classified info being discussed and our youngest listens to everything from lullabies to Hamilton to go to sleep. I would be more concerned about the main living area if I was that concerned about evil empire monitoring my conversations.

calebsmama03
11-23-2018, 04:38 PM
We have no issue with one in our children’s bedroom. No classified info being discussed and our youngest listens to everything from lullabies to Hamilton to go to sleep. I would be more concerned about the main living area if I was that concerned about evil empire monitoring my conversations.

Same. DD has one for music, weather, alarm features, etc. Voice ordering is shut off. Not super worried about privacy.

jawilli4
11-23-2018, 09:12 PM
Both kids have one in each of their rooms. Both use them as a wake up alarm. 14 yo DS now uses his to alert him when to leave the house as well as for reminders like don’t forget to bring whatever to school. He also likes to use it for white noise at night.

I am fairly certain that you can see what he is asking on the computer that is attached to his dot. For instance, I can go to the Alexa app on my ipad and see my kids activity.

hillview
11-23-2018, 09:21 PM
kids have them in their room. alarms, music, weather, news, sports, scores, jokes. They were a gift from my mom. Otherwise I would have been happy with sonos but I do allow them.

JamiMac
11-23-2018, 10:10 PM
We also have one in my ds’s room. No worries of privacy. We just discovered the intercom aspect and that’s been fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

candaceb
11-23-2018, 10:33 PM
If you want to keep tabs on what he's doing with it, there is a spot in the alexa app where you can see everything she was asked to do. Don't tell him and then creep him out "I have extra special Alexa ears" ;)

jgenie
11-23-2018, 10:38 PM
We have a dot in our kitchen but it’s mostly unplugged. I too worry about them hearing something I would rather they here from me - such as tragic headlines, etc. They usually just use it to set timers or to ask for jokes.

pharmjenn
11-24-2018, 04:40 AM
If you want to keep tabs on what he's doing with it, there is a spot in the alexa app where you can see everything she was asked to do. Don't tell him and then creep him out "I have extra special Alexa ears" ;)

We have one in our kitchen, and I just bought a few more, one for DS room, another for DH home office and a third to possibly put in our bedroom. DS doesn't hear us from his room when we call to him, so this way I can drop in on him rather than screaming upstairs.

We got one for my father last year and it is on my BIL Amazon account. Occasionally he checks to see what Dad is asking her and reports to us, usually because the questions he asks are quite funny from an 87yo man

TwinFoxes
11-24-2018, 03:53 PM
We could be on a commercial for Alexa. :) The girls have them, there's one in our room, and one in the common area. I'm not paranoid about it at all. Even if they ask for a "daily briefing" you can control what new sources are included, so you can just make it weather and ESPN probably (so, not 100% tragedy free, but is your kid really going to ask for news at his age?) And PPs are right, you can check via your Alexa app to see what's been asked/what apps were used. Sometimes I look to see what the heck Alexa thought I was asking with the crazy answers she's given me.

essnce629
11-24-2018, 04:01 PM
We have one in every bedroom. DS2 is 9 and uses it every morning to get the weather before getting dressed and listens to the Kids News because he loves how they tell you what National Day it is so he can tell his friends at school (National Donut Day, Cat Day, Waffle Day, etc). At night we use it to play his bedtime music. It also controls his sound machine, lights (Phillips), and ceiling fan (Haiku).

Kids News
https://www.amazon.com/J6-Labs-Kids-News/dp/B077CCFLZV

Science Kid Radio
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075H3JPBL?ie=UTF8&path=%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2FB075H3JPBL&ref_=skillrw_dsk_si_dp&useRedirectOnSuccess=1&
Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

carolinamama
11-24-2018, 10:25 PM
DS2 has one in his room. I don't even think about it being a problem. I'm not worried about anyone overhearing the conversations about farts and burps and most of his questions are asking who won a game the night before that his mean parents wouldn't let him stay up to watch. He uses it for music, books on audible, an alarm clock, and timer.

mommy111
11-25-2018, 02:34 AM
DD has one in her room. She keeps it unplugged because she is sick of us ‘dropping in’ on her. 🤣