PDA

View Full Version : what are you giving this year? [gift lists]

hillview
11-23-2018, 06:21 PM
Family
Secret trip to Beaches in Turks and Caicos -- DH knows but the kids don't -- I'd love any ideas how to make this a big open thing as we don't leave til the end of January but it is their big gift so ....

DS1
Underwear (Duluth)
super smash brothers (this is a video game)
headphones (cheap sony)
a wireless mouse (lightening deal)

DS2
switch game gift card
new laptop (he cracked his old one) -- got a chromebook for $120 today (black Friday)!

Both kids stockings
googles
sunscreen
water bottles
book
socks
flashlight
candy

DH (split btwn his bday and christmas as they are days apart)
sweaters
new iphone (his is basically dead)
new pillows
sneakers
socks

Repainting inside the house is a big thing I'd like to be able to swing. Not sure we will cough up the cash for it but ideally it would be the big thing we give each others.

What are you gifting?

gymnbomb
11-23-2018, 06:28 PM
DH got me a new CD player for my car (which he already installed), an umbrella I requested, and I think a canvas print of a picture of the kids.

I got him the guitar case he asked for and I really need a couple more ideas for him! Thinking some golf balls since we decided to start playing golf some, but that isn’t much. I have a few stocking stuffers like Christmas underwear and his favorite candy.

For DS we got a Nintendo switch and a couple of games (although I really think this is at least as much for my husband, so while we are giving it at Christmas I am not really counting it as a huge gift for him like I would if he were older and had asked for it). He is getting some paw patrol clothes, a paw patrol toy, the $20 giant box of legos and some Lego sets, a M&D floor puzzle I grabbed for $5 at Walmart this morning, and probably a couple of things I have forgotten. This is a combined list of stuff from us and a couple of sets of grandparents.

DD is hard because she isn’t old enough to ask for anything and we have a million toys to hand down. She has an outfit, a couple of toys, and a soft doll I grabbed on sale this summer and will probably give her now. DS picked out some hair bows for her stocking. I need to look and see if I have anything else for her that i forgot. I have a duplo set I got at the fall consignment sale, but I may save that for her second birthday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
11-23-2018, 06:30 PM
Dh
game- Gloomhaven (super expensive- better be good! It's been on his wishlist)
side table to go in our newly remodeled game room
TBD

Kids
so far just some misc. stuff AND a trip to see Hamilton right after the holidays.

jgenie
11-23-2018, 06:43 PM
Family
Secret trip to Beaches in Turks and Caicos -- DH knows but the kids don't -- I'd love any ideas how to make this a big open thing as we don't leave til the end of January but it is their big gift so ....

You could wrap beach items as a family gift for them to open together. Towels, sunscreen, flip flops, sunglasses. Put a brochure or printout at the bottom of the box.

hillview
11-23-2018, 07:01 PM
You could wrap beach items as a family gift for them to open together. Towels, sunscreen, flip flops, sunglasses. Put a brochure or printout at the bottom of the box.
LOVE this idea thank you!

PZMommy
11-23-2018, 07:01 PM
For my kids:
Nintendo switch, extra controllers, Mario kart, splatoon, and smash brothers. They also want a couple of the funko pop characters, so will probably get them a couple of those. Also they each wanted an x box game so Santa is getting them the incredibles and the dc villains x box games.

For DH:
Our water heater burst about a week ago and flooded the main level of our house, so the new water heater is a gift to us, and paying our insurance deductible to have our main level of our house rebuilt after the water damage. Not fun, but needed.

KrisM
11-23-2018, 08:01 PM
DS1 (14):
spirit gear for his bowling and robotics teams
a spare bowling ball
a new phone (moto G6 Tracfone)
NES Classic
My parents are getting him a laptop. His first.

DD (12):
2nd monitor for her desktop
Copic markers
TI 84 calculator
phone (moto E5 Tracfone) her first phone
pajamas
modeling clay
a folding music stand

DS2 (10)
PS4 I think
a couple games
Turing Tumble?
TI calculator

DH:
nothing yet. No clue either

jgenie
11-23-2018, 11:01 PM
DH - Bose headphones, family photo calendar

Nintendo Switch, three games and an extra controller for the Xbox for both DC to share. Harry Potter Lego sets for us to build as a family.

DS1 - photo mug and luggage tag, Happy Socks, large Lego set he asked for and a large Lego set I found on clearance

DS2 - Photo mug and luggage tag, large Lego set he asked for and a large Lego set I found on clearance

bisous
11-23-2018, 11:32 PM
DH and I don’t exchange because we’re on a budget.

Every kid is getting 3 T-shirt’s, at least 3 books and pajamas that I got essentially free (hookups from DHs work except I had to buy DS1s PJs).

The big boys are getting a switch. DS3 is getting a big LEGO set and some small toys. DD is getting a bunch of little toy sets and a ton of activity books.

I THINK I’m done. All I bought was the Switch. The free stuff really fleshes the rest out. Maybe DD needs something “big” but she’s 5 and easily pleased (hasn’t asked for anything).

My family chipped in to buy us a very nice digital piano which is a dream of mine to own.

We usually have lots of obligation buys for our large families. Typically we buy books for all grandparents, and my brother on my Dad’s side and his wife. So I need 8 books more and teacher gifts left and that’s it.

ETA: I thought of something for DD. I’ll get her a magnet mosaic kit from amazon. Her cousin had one and she LOVED it.

basil
11-24-2018, 06:42 AM
DS (7) - complete set of “who would win” books. Red Sox world champions framed poster and sweatshirt. DH bought him some video games for his old PS. Still need to do stocking stuffers and maybe one more bigger toy like a big LEGO set.

DD (4) - a wellie wisher I bought a while back at Costco, and a play stroller, I haven’t bought yet but she wants a matching outfit with her doll.

DH - he is always so so hard and never wants anything! But this fall we took a weekend trip to bar harbor and while we were walking the gift shops around he couldn’t stop talking how he really has always wanted a big geode. So I still need to figure out how to buy one of these online, but I think that will be his gift.

IansMom
11-24-2018, 11:35 AM
So far...

DH - cookbook, sweater, need more ideas

ODS (9) - Cue Robot, Beyblades with Arena, Knex Kforce Bow and Arrow, Mushroom Growing Kit, Minecraft backpack, Minecraft shirt, Minecraft pajamas, science pajamas, books

YDS (3) - Rody Horse, M&D Latches & Locks board, M&D Sequencing Set, Crocodile Creek colors puzzle, Eeboo game, rocket backpack and lunchbox.

For both boys to share—Dueling Stomp Rockets, mini popsicle mold

Jeanne
11-24-2018, 12:29 PM
DH - he is always so so hard and never wants anything! But this fall we took a weekend trip to bar harbor and while we were walking the gift shops around he couldn’t stop talking how he really has always wanted a big geode. So I still need to figure out how to buy one of these online, but I think that will be his gift.

A reputable gem shop or gallery will ensure you get a quality piece.

AnnieW625
11-24-2018, 01:19 PM
DH:
Ecco sneakers in dark grey (https://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/ecco-soft-7)
New belts for his jeans (black, and brown)
New suitcase (I really want to splurge on a Briggs & Riley baseline 26”, but will probably go with a Travel Pro Platinum Elite)

Dd1:
Fitbit Alta

She has asked for a laptop, and a bike. She currently uses the iPad with the keyboard, but part of me thinks a chrome book might be more useful. DH thinks they are one in the same. A bike could be helpful to get her from home to ballet once it isn’t dark at 5 pm.

Dd2:
She has told me all year that she wants a box of dollars....so I really think I am going to do that. Probably $50.
Headphones (Sony has some nice ones for about $30)
Fuji Polaroid camera
Pass to the local aquarium

We are also thinking of getting the girls a joint gift of a Nintendo Switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carolinamama
11-24-2018, 10:06 PM
Our big gift for the kids is a trip as well. We are taking the family on a roadtrip through France, ending with the women's world cup finals game this summer. We will probably do a scavenger hunt where the kids read clues to find their next one until the final reveal.

DS1 (13) has asked for new shoes, a fancy xBox controller, a new soccer ball, socks, and various gift cards (xbox, Dicks sporting goods). He is getting most of that plus some clothes, books and stocking stuffers.

DS2 (10) is asking for a gaming computer (don't think he's getting it but we've caved before...), Adidas pants, shoes, gaming headset, new soccer goal (we have a big one already so not getting), a few new soccer jerseys and an itunes gift card. He will also get clothes, books and stocking stuffers.

DD (7) is getting an American Girl doll, an AG bunkbed, some lalaloopsies, a kids Fitbit, and some clothes, books and stocking stuffers.

DH and I are in the process of having work done in our backyard and building an outdoor living space. That's our Christmas gift to eachother.

I haven't thought much about extended family. I need to get on it since we celebrate with DH's family a few weeks before Christmas.

fauve01
11-25-2018, 01:54 PM
We are at the end of the longest kitchen/downstairs reno ever, so DH and I are giving each other new dining chairs and barstools. Maybe we'll go crazy and get new area rugs too!

DD (15) wants signed Playbill for Dear Evan Hansen, Wicked, and Hamilton; and a "pretty" guitar strap. She also asked for "snazzy" stackable rings and Pura Vida bracelets and succulent plants. She's getting "fun" socks to mix and match and gel pens, and toiletries and candy in her stocking. The rest of her list is GC for book store, amazon; Poloroid camera; board games (otrio); shearling slippers.

Niece 12.5 -- always asks for ice skating stuff, pants from Iviva store (the Lululemon for kids store) and Alex and Ani bracelet.
Niece 8 -- asks for makeup (last year i gave her a small luggage case filled with my cast offs and dollar store finds she LOVED) and art supplies (last year i got her the sharpie pack her mother would not ;) and animal stuff

my mom needs a new fleece jacket from LL bean her old one is getting thin and she wears it a lot.
my dad needs nothing so he asks for GC to gas, restaurants, car wash. we try to supplement those with choc covered raisins he loves and baseball stuff
FIL gets cookies or consumables and a donation to the soup kitchen/church he supports.
BIL/SIL get cookie basket and bottle of whisky from local distillery

HTH

candaceb
11-25-2018, 02:11 PM
Anyone have ideas on "something pineapple" for a tween?
My niece is almost 11 and the only thing she has come up with on her wish list is something pineapple. She told me pineapples are trendy like unicorns...
The only thing I've found so far is a pineapple s'well bottle.

fauve01
11-25-2018, 02:21 PM
Anyone have ideas on "something pineapple" for a tween?
My niece is almost 11 and the only thing she has come up with on her wish list is something pineapple. She told me pineapples are trendy like unicorns...
The only thing I've found so far is a pineapple s'well bottle.

Necklace with Pineapple charm? https://www.amazon.com/My-Very-Best-Pineapple-Pineapple_stand/dp/B073W6JTSX/ref=pd_sim_193_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B073W6JTSX&pd_rd_r=18ee3e08-f0df-11e8-b0b1-33fa73d4a09a&pd_rd_w=NFYn2&pd_rd_wg=EAJkX&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=18bb0b78-4200-49b9-ac91-f141d61a1780&pf_rd_r=561F25KF2KXNARYWY30B&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&refRID=561F25KF2KXNARYWY30B (https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3111796/lc-lauren-conrad-pineapple-pendant.jsp?skuid=18043207&ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=BRANDED%20JEWELRY&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=18043207&CID=shopping15&utm_campaignid=196834172&pid=googleadwords_int&af_channel=CSE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn76JopTw3gIVuR-tBh2S4gRXEAQYAiABEgJatfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds)

what about socks with Pineapples on them? My teen is all about "fun" socks.
ETA: https://www.amazon.com/MeMoi-Womens-Pineapple-Novelty-MWN00124/dp/B07B8FCHWY/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1543170267&sr=1-2-spons&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=pineapple+socks&psc=1

ETA: cute bracelet https://www.amazon.com/Altitude-Boutique-Pineapple-Bracelet-Adjustable/dp/B074R9NWNW/ref=sr_1_6?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1543170436&sr=1-6&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=pineapple+bracelet

Pineapple small box for trinkets, wallet or clutch with pineapples, bangle with pineapples, t shirt

candaceb
11-25-2018, 02:40 PM
Necklace with Pineapple charm? https://www.amazon.com/My-Very-Best-Pineapple-Pineapple_stand/dp/B073W6JTSX/ref=pd_sim_193_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B073W6JTSX&pd_rd_r=18ee3e08-f0df-11e8-b0b1-33fa73d4a09a&pd_rd_w=NFYn2&pd_rd_wg=EAJkX&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=18bb0b78-4200-49b9-ac91-f141d61a1780&pf_rd_r=561F25KF2KXNARYWY30B&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&refRID=561F25KF2KXNARYWY30B (https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3111796/lc-lauren-conrad-pineapple-pendant.jsp?skuid=18043207&ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=BRANDED%20JEWELRY&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=18043207&CID=shopping15&utm_campaignid=196834172&pid=googleadwords_int&af_channel=CSE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn76JopTw3gIVuR-tBh2S4gRXEAQYAiABEgJatfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds)

what about socks with Pineapples on them? My teen is all about "fun" socks.
ETA: https://www.amazon.com/MeMoi-Womens-Pineapple-Novelty-MWN00124/dp/B07B8FCHWY/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1543170267&sr=1-2-spons&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=pineapple+socks&psc=1

ETA: cute bracelet https://www.amazon.com/Altitude-Boutique-Pineapple-Bracelet-Adjustable/dp/B074R9NWNW/ref=sr_1_6?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1543170436&sr=1-6&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=pineapple+bracelet

Pineapple small box for trinkets, wallet or clutch with pineapples, bangle with pineapples, t shirt

THANK YOU! Problem solved. I have Kohl's cash to spend so I'm ordering the necklace and I found socks there too - along with llama socks, which is another thing I know she's into.

ahisma
11-25-2018, 03:32 PM
DS2 (10): Skateboard, Simpsons comic compilations, Drews Art Box art kits, some board games (Cogno Deep Oceans, Barenpark)
DS1 (12):3D Doodler, NBA19 xBox game, MEL Science kits, Garmin
DD (20): Scarf, record, wool socks, Tile Sport (x2), Echo Dot, bracelets, mixing bowls, bath stuff, hand knit hat
DH: Hand knit hat, TBD

ahisma
11-25-2018, 03:33 PM
She told me pineapples are trendy like unicorns...

This explains SO MUCH. My 12yo DS is obsessed with pineapples.

TwinFoxes
11-25-2018, 05:25 PM
We're going to Universal in January. Santa is probably bringing them bikes (they need new ones). Other than that, we're getting them books and Super Smash Brothers for the Switch grandma's buying them. Oh, and they're both getting sweatshirts with those flip sequins that girls around here love. Oh, and Ticket to Ride, but that's more for me, I love board games. :) Random card games and arts and crafts for stockings.

I bought one niece one of those light-up letter board signs, another a sweatshirt she wanted, and I have no idea what I'm getting my nephew. So tired of buying Steam gift cards, but that's probably what I'll get him.

I'm buying a bunch of gifts for kids in need through a mom's group I belong to. A basketball, clothes, dolls and books.

AngB
11-25-2018, 05:30 PM
We are at the end of the longest kitchen/downstairs reno ever, so DH and I are giving each other new dining chairs and barstools. Maybe we'll go crazy and get new area rugs too!

Just FYI, area rugs are deal of the day on Amazon today.

vonfirmath
11-26-2018, 02:53 PM
THANK YOU! Problem solved. I have Kohl's cash to spend so I'm ordering the necklace and I found socks there too - along with llama socks, which is another thing I know she's into.

I'm seeing Llama sweaters ALL OVEr this year
JC Penney has one. And Wal-mart. And I got a stuffed llama from Hobby Lobby (They had two different kinds)

khalloc
11-27-2018, 10:12 AM
DS (10) - Wants a gaming desktop, monitor, mouse, keyboard. Already bought sheets for his bed, and 1 year subscription to XBox Live.

DD (13) - Wants Apple Watch v. 4, sephora makeup, Mookie Betts Jersey, a vacation. So far I bought sheets for her bed, Sephora, and Mookie Betts Jersey. and she's getting that vacation she wants.

DH - Buying him a humidifier. He's been saying we need one for 2-3 years and he wont buy one himself and gets bloody noses daily. Thinking of getting him a weighted blanket.

Family - We just booked a vacation to Aruba. Will probably give DS a snorkel mask since he lost his in Grand Cayman last year. Not sure about DD - maybe a LL Bean toiletry travel bag?

TwinFoxes
11-27-2018, 10:26 AM
Not sure about DD - maybe a LL Bean toiletry travel bag?

A friend recommended this to me when I was looking for a new toiletry bag. I love it so, so much. It's so well designed. There's also a tri-color style.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73882?page=personal-organizer-toiletry-bag-medium&bc=50-507361&feat=507361-GN3&csp=f&attrValue_0=Black

jgenie
11-27-2018, 10:29 AM
A friend recommended this to me when I was looking for a new toiletry bag. I love it so, so much. It's so well designed. There's also a tri-color style.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73882?page=personal-organizer-toiletry-bag-medium&bc=50-507361&feat=507361-GN3&csp=f&attrValue_0=Black

This is what we have. I love it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

gymnbomb
11-27-2018, 10:46 AM

We have these and love them too!

almostmom
11-27-2018, 11:00 AM
DD (13):
Go Pro (either 7 silver or 5 Black)
Diffuser and oils for her room
Pura Vida rings
Some sort of monthly subscription thing, make-up or bath and body products

DS (15):
Avatar DVDs (you can't watch it anywhere!)
Air buds
I need more ideas here! Maybe a gift card to Dick's

Both kids:
Hamilton tickets for the spring
tubes for ocean floating
Maybe a smartphone projector for the basement where there's no TV
Fuzzy lined crocs
ski goggles
mermaid pillows with our pets' pics, if I get my act together
sports wall decals

DH:
Maybe that handheld espresso maker
thai iced tea kit
maybe a new LLBean toiletry kit!
a new Osprey hiking backpack

khalloc
11-27-2018, 11:12 AM

Yes. Thats the one DH wants to get for both kids, but I dont think DS really needs one, but perhaps. DD would definitely use it.

NCGrandma
11-27-2018, 11:13 AM

Glad to hear all the love for these! No personal experience but I just bought 2 for Christmas gifts.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
11-27-2018, 12:13 PM
Yes. Thats the one DH wants to get for both kids, but I dont think DS really needs one, but perhaps. DD would definitely use it.

I bought both boys this one last year https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/111887?page=adventure-pro-toiletry-kit&bc=50-507361&feat=507361-GN3&csp=f
I like the size of them.

jgenie
11-27-2018, 12:36 PM

I share mine with my DC. At some point they may want their own but for now sharing works well. My sons are 10 and 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

gymnbomb
11-27-2018, 01:11 PM

If your DS doesn't pack as much, they have a smaller sized on that might work better for him?