PDA

View Full Version : Keep or toss - fresh spinach use by date 11/20

jgenie
11-28-2018, 04:05 PM
I was planning on using spinach for dinner tonight but just realized it has a use by date of 11/20. Keep or toss? TIA

JBaxter
11-28-2018, 04:08 PM
how does it look? I mean if its not brown or slimy at the bottom of the container use it.

SnuggleBuggles
11-28-2018, 04:14 PM
I never look at dates. How does it look? If it's bad, you'll be able to tell. I would go so far as to simply weed out any less desirable pieces. Nothing magically went wrong with it on the 20th. :) I had some butter lettuce recently that kept going for weeks!

calebsmama03
11-28-2018, 05:09 PM
I never look at dates. How does it look? If it's bad, you'll be able to tell. I would go so far as to simply weed out any less desirable pieces. Nothing magically went wrong with it on the 20th. :) I had some butter lettuce recently that kept going for weeks!

This. If it isn't slimy and smelly use it. You WILL know if spinach is bad. Packaged greens have a nasty smell when bad.
ETA: I just had to toss half a costco bag of "power greens" that were supposed to be "good" through tomorrow but they were wet and slimy and smelled bad. The date on greens isn't most important.

jgenie
11-28-2018, 05:33 PM
Nope - opened the clamshell and it was obviously bad. Guess it’s breakfast for dinner tonight!