PDA

View Full Version : Long shot... Is anyone involved with Rover.com?

trcy
11-30-2018, 04:55 PM
Either uses the service or as a pet sitter? I have a few questions?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

mmsmom
11-30-2018, 04:59 PM
I use the service.

trcy
11-30-2018, 05:07 PM
I use the service.Ok thanks. I am thinking about signing up to be a sitter. I am just wondering if they do anything to protect their sitters? I see a lot on their website about protection for the customer, but nothing for the sitter. Did you meet with your sitter first? If so, was it in your home or a neutral place. There are so many crazies out there. I keep thinking I would hate to go meet with a potential customer and be greated with a gun in face. I am sure I am over thinking this, but you never know.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

RedSuedeShoes
11-30-2018, 05:23 PM
Ok thanks. I am thinking about signing up to be a sitter. I am just wondering if they do anything to protect their sitters? I see a lot on their website about protection for the customer, but nothing for the sitter. Did you meet with your sitter first? If so, was it in your home or a neutral place. There are so many crazies out there. I keep thinking I would hate to go meet with a potential customer and be greated with a gun in face. I am sure I am over thinking this, but you never know.

I've used Rover three times for two sitters. Actually I have used it to meet a couple other sitters, too, but didn't end up booking with them. Most times, I've gone to their house, which I like because that's where I'd be leaving my dog so I get a chance to check it out. Once I met a sitter at a neutral location near his house - he lived in a small condo and wanted to meet outside where our dogs (his and mine) could meet each other on neutral territory and run around. If you are going to be going to the person's house to walk/sit their dog, it would be fine to meet elsewhere. But in general, if I'm leaving my dog at your house, it helps me to see the space.

baymom
11-30-2018, 05:26 PM
We use the service frequently. If it’s a new sitter we have not used before, we always do a ‘meet and greet’ first. It’s often at the hosts house, but not always. If they have their own dog, we want to see if the dogs get along. Otherwise, it’s really just to scope each other out. In one case, DH went for a meet & greet at the host’s house and found out the guy was a hoarder. Definitely a no-go for us. After that experience, we prefer to see their house. But, it’s not a deal breaker if we can’t. But, to be honest, we’ve never had a host who didn’t invite us over. At least half the times, we hang out outside, but at least we get a general idea. After all, we are leaving our dog in their care!

trcy
11-30-2018, 05:34 PM
I've used Rover three times for two sitters. Actually I have used it to meet a couple other sitters, too, but didn't end up booking with them. Most times, I've gone to their house, which I like because that's where I'd be leaving my dog so I get a chance to check it out. Once I met a sitter at a neutral location near his house - he lived in a small condo and wanted to meet outside where our dogs (his and mine) could meet each other on neutral territory and run around. If you are going to be going to the person's house to walk/sit their dog, it would be fine to meet elsewhere. But in general, if I'm leaving my dog at your house, it helps me to see the space.For right now I would only be able to do drop in visits, so cats or low maintenance dogs. So I would going to the clients house. I would definitely want to meet the pet first and cats usually don't do well outside of their environment. I am just trying to figure out how to best protect myself from someone with ulterior motives.

Kestrel
12-01-2018, 05:27 PM
I'm very much a "hope for the best, plan for the worst" person. Let someone you trust know when & where you are going, the person's name, and how long you expect to stay. Have them call you, say, 45 minutes after your meeting time to check in. Have a code word for "send help now" - I've always used the word "green" for everything is fine, and "red" for get me out of here! as, talking on the phone, "oh, Sam has such beautiful red flowers in front of his house". Always listen to your instincts - if they say get out, get out!
This is always how my group would work first dates; that's what I would do here. But I'm paranoid. ;)

Or, you could go really overboard and get a handgun carry permit. Works for me!

Momit
12-02-2018, 10:20 AM
We have hired sitters from Rover several times. We always had the potential sitter come to our house to meet our dog and see exactly what they would be doing. It’s definitely a little nerve wracking for the person with the pet too - having a stranger come to the house and know that you have an upcoming absence. But we had a great experience every time.