PDA

View Full Version : Research on privacy and smart speakers

candaceb
11-30-2018, 06:39 PM
This is blurb on a study that was recently published by a professor at my grad school. I did a survey/interview for the study last year and found it interesting; that was when I learned that Alexa has a "mute" button.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/vba7xj/people-who-buy-smart-speakers-have-given-up-on-privacy-researchers-find?utm_campaign=sharebutton

smiles33
11-30-2018, 09:31 PM
Even though the idea of an Echo in the family room and dots in each bedroom appeals to me, my paranoia about being recorded has stopped me from buying them. If they built in more privacy protections, I'd jump on buying some in a heartbeat.

nfceagles
12-01-2018, 12:36 AM
I think this is an interesting topic. I myself fit their results. I’m torn between a desire for privacy and access to the convenience technology can add to my life.

I also think there’s a difference between giving up your privacy to companies versus giving up you privacy to the government. While neither is ideal at all, one is going to use it for marketing purposes while the other has the power to imprison you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk