PDA

View Full Version : 3 bicycles for adopt-a-family

Percycat
12-03-2018, 01:18 PM
Anyone have any good suggestions for finding reasonably priced bikes to donate to adopt-a-family with 6 and 7 year old boys (wear 7 and 8 size clothes) and a tricycle for a 3 year old toddler?

I have already reached out to the groups I know who restore bikes for donation -- so we will need to purchase. I don't know if the kids know how to ride, so I assume a bike with training wheels is appropriate.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

ALSO -- what size does a 7 year old ride? Thanks!

khm
12-03-2018, 01:23 PM
Anyone have any good suggestions for finding reasonably priced bikes to donate to adopt-a-family with 6 and 7 year old boys (wear 7 and 8 size clothes) and a tricycle for a 3 year old toddler?

I have already reached out to the groups I know who restore bikes for donation -- so we will need to purchase. I don't know if the kids know how to ride, so I assume a bike with training wheels is appropriate.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

ALSO -- what size does a 7 year old ride? Thanks!

You might try a bike shop. The ones I frequent have a stable of used/traded-in bikes.

JBaxter
12-03-2018, 03:28 PM
Walmart.

ezcc
12-03-2018, 03:37 PM
Do you have nextdoor where you live? I would ask if anyone has one to donate-

Kindra178
12-03-2018, 05:26 PM
I would get a 20 inch for a 7 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

JBaxter
12-03-2018, 06:01 PM
I would get a 20 inch for a 7 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

I agree 20 in for a 7 yr old

Percycat
12-06-2018, 05:45 PM
Thanks everyone. I scoured Craigslist and found a like-new 20inch bike for the 7 year old. I am leaning towards getting a 16-inch bike that has a training wheel option for the 6 year old, based on this: https://www.icebike.org/the-definitive-guide-to-kids-bike-sizes-dont-buy-the-wrong-bike/.

I haven't been able to find an 18in.

It seems strange to have a four inch difference in wheel diameter with only one year difference in age. The 6 year old wears a size 7 which has a 20.5in inseam; the 7 year old wears a size 8 which has a 22 inch inseam.

Does this seem right to you? Thanks!

magnoliaparadise
12-07-2018, 05:33 AM
Do you need to do it for the holidays? Do they have to be new?
If for the holidays and they don't have to be brand new, go on local FB pages and see if you can get any good deals or marked down.

And if you can wait until Spring, call the big bike companies and see the sales they have - around here, there are huge sales for used bikes every spring, like pop up sales on specific weekends in specific locations. When we moved here, we were floored by how great the bikes were when we showed up and hadn't even gotten there early. We bought TWO for my youngest DD who liked both and only really fit the smaller bike. They were both amazing bikes (I can't remember the brand, but one of the highly regarded ones) and I figured for the very cheap price, she could use the second one as she grew or with her bigger friends on playdates. They were both even her favorite color! I promised myself to go back to this sale every year and get there earlier so I can get myself one next year.

I personally would not get a bike from Walmart. I would rather buy a top brand used bike than a generic Walmart type bike, particularly because there are no 'Walmart' service people (whom I have ever found) who can help me/guide me in buying their bike so I would be in the dark about the bike.