PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone wear a mouth guard?

Pilotbaby
12-03-2018, 05:41 PM
Hello everyone,
About a month ago, my dentist mentioned that I tiny cracks in my teeth and it looks like I have been grinding them. She recommended I try an over the counter night guard just on top before considering spending a lot of money on the custom one. I purchased some over the counter and after an initial challenge getting it to fit, finally figured it out. The bulkiness of it didn't really bother me and I wore it with no problem for about two weeks. Then I started waking up with my teeth feeling sore and like my bite had shifted. My first look online said this really can't happen with a soft plastic guard. However, a closer look showed that they actually can change your bite (especially the hard ones) and in some rare cases, require surgery to correct. I had a second box so I made a new mold and it seemed to be a better fit but the first morning, I woke up and definitely noticed a big difference in my bite almost all day long until it seemed to someone "settle" back into place. I tried it one more night with the same result. I now have an appointment with my dentist but they told me over the phone they use a hard/soft one. Hard on the outside, soft on the inside. I think these are the ones even more likely to shift your bite and since I had a problem with the soft one, I am worried. I feel like I need to do something so I don't end up with a root canal but I'm concerned about damaging my teeth. The receptionist tells me they fit 5-10 per week (seems like a big money maker to me). Does anyone have experience with these? TIA

jgenie
12-03-2018, 06:48 PM
I have worn one for years. 15+ years I think. Mine is custom and hard plastic. I had braces. I know my teeth shift if I skip wearing it for more than a couple of nights. I don’t notice a change in my bite though.

mackmama
12-03-2018, 08:31 PM
I have worn one for years. I recommend custom. I get the thinnest one because the thick ones interfere with my sleep.

Mamma2004
12-04-2018, 08:07 AM
I have worn one since I was 21 years old, same reasons. I literally would not want to go a single night without it now.

I highly recommend custom, even with the high price tag. My first one lasted 10+ years, then eventually broke (it was the hard kind and cracked on one side). I then got a soft one that lasted a long time. I now have a thin and flexible one, but on both top AND bottom. Much better for me.

No bite shifts whatsoever, and no more TMJ, headaches, or worsening of my teeth. Good luck!

klwa
12-04-2018, 08:46 AM
I'm another one with a custom one. I think it might be what you're describing as hard outside, soft inside. It's been wonderful for me, but it did take some getting used to. I haven't noticed any issues with bite since wearing it (probably 2 years now?)

carolinamama
12-04-2018, 10:14 AM
I wear a custom mouthguard. I've had it for quite a long time so even though they are expensive, I think you can get your money's worth if you take care of it. No problems with feeling my bite change.

hillview
12-04-2018, 12:55 PM
I have a custom one -- have had for a couple of years. I LOVE it and feel a lot better when I wake up -- jaw hurts less

RedSuedeShoes
12-05-2018, 12:12 AM
I have one I've worn for almost 30 years!! I woke up one morning when I was 15 and couldn't open my mouth more than a tiny sliver. My childhood dentist fitted me for a mouth guard, and I've worn it ever since. It definitely helps, though I've still had jaw tension/pain. A chiropractor helped me a lot in the last 7 years, but I still wear the guard at night.