PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy clothes for very tall tween DD who is not yet adult size? In between.

magnoliaparadise
12-04-2018, 05:15 AM
My DD, almost 11, is very tall for her age (always been approx 95% give or take).

She was wearing approx size 14-16 pants and those look tight now so I think I'm going to try 16-18 next. She is curvy and has hips, but does not fit into plus size. For shirts, she is a solid 14-16, maybe even a tad smaller.

We are at the end of some kid clothing stores and I'm not sure where to go next. My mother took her to a dept store and I think they got size 4 and 6 adult clothes, but none of it fit her correctly IMHO - the sweatshirts and sweaters fit her torso, but were way too long in the arms (by 4 - 6 inches).

Do you have any suggestions? I think she has grown out of Children's Place (not chic anyway, but good for basics and convenient!)

I have just been googling around and I have found some brands that might work - please chime in with any suggestions (or if you agree or disagree with any here). Thank you!!

Ideas.... Abercrombie, Kohls Jr, Zara, Forever 21, TJ Maxx Jr., H&M, and ones I don't know well - Hollister and Primack. Macy's and Nordstrom's came up, too, but I'm not sure if they have a Jr and if not how that would help.

mom2binsd
12-04-2018, 07:03 AM
Justice goes up to size 18, and beyond the blingy stuff there is decent clothing.

Tjmaxx and h&M are pretty limited in that size range.

Jcpenney might work.

If she's over 5'0 you can look at Aeropostal, their sizing for tops is all over, I wear a small in this sweaters but a large in their plaid shirts. Try their stuff on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

magnoliaparadise
12-04-2018, 07:22 AM
Justice goes up to size 18, and beyond the blingy stuff there is decent clothing.

Tjmaxx and h&M are pretty limited in that size range.

Jcpenney might work.

If she's over 5'0 you can look at Aeropostal, their sizing for tops is all over, I wear a small in this sweaters but a large in their plaid shirts. Try their stuff on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Justice and Aeropostal are good suggestions I hadn't thought of. Thanks. And I never go into JC Penney, so will check it out.

So true about Justice - it's like a crack den walking in there for my kids who go straight to the bling, but it's true that there is some great stuff there beyond bling.

Yes, my DD was over 5 ft last time I checked a few months ago. OK, I'll be careful with Aeropostal shirts/tops. Strange that they can't get their sizing consistent. I mean, I understand that sizing is all over the map between brands, but within one brand seems odd.

westwoodmom04
12-04-2018, 07:45 AM
My dd is also very tall and has been wearing junior or adult sizes since that age. She is super lanky so is barely a size 0, finding stuff that fits in the waist is an issue. She likes American Eagle, Nordstrom Juniors, Pac Sun, Urban Outfitters and Francesca’s. She also likes Forever 21 and occasionally will still wear clothes from Abercrombie kids. With the adult stores, I monitor her purchases to make sure not age inappropriate.

georgiegirl
12-04-2018, 08:45 AM
Aeropostale! That was the only place DD found jeans that fit her last year.

Kindra178
12-04-2018, 10:28 AM
American Eagle.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

melrose7
12-04-2018, 10:32 AM
DD1 has been in junior/women’s clothes since 11 too. She is over 5’7” at age 13. She lives in the yoga pants from kohl’s (so brand) and old navy. She has long legs so the give her enough length. We’ve done old navy for some tops too.

Neatfreak
12-04-2018, 11:25 AM
American Eagle.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Yes, American Eagle. My DD went from wearing jeans in kids Size 12/14 to American Eagle in Size 00 or 0. Their jeans come in different lengths, too!

citymama
12-04-2018, 06:45 PM
My 12.5 year old is 5 ft 6" and has curves! Here are the kids brands that still fit her body and style: Athleta Girl, Tea Collection tween, Johnnie B., Target Cat & Jack (although we do some Juniors now), some Nordstrom brands (they go up to 16y). She wears HA undies and PJs. She also wears my hand me down women's clothing - size XS clothes I've "outgrown"!

jerseygirl07067
12-04-2018, 06:53 PM
American Eagle, Hollister, Aeropostale, and Old Navy

magnoliaparadise
12-05-2018, 08:50 AM
Thanks, everyone! These are great!! I will check some of these brands out!