PDA

View Full Version : Changing writing hands

MSWR0319
12-04-2018, 12:08 PM
Backstory: When DS was in early 5's he had yet to pick a dominate hand. He had a teacher who picked a hand for him because she didn't like that he was still switching. She made him write with his right hand. I wasn't convinced he would be a righty, DH is a lefty, and if anything he gravitated to his left a bit more. By the time I found out about it, the damage was done.

Fast forward to 4th grade. He's always had poor handwriting and doesn't grip his pencil well at all. He complains regularly that it hurts to hold a pencil and we've tried to correct his grip to no avail. Last night he came home and told me he realized that when using the dry erase boards and markers he was writing with his left hand. So I asked him which he felt more comfortable with and he said it felt better to hold the pencil in his left hand and that it didn't hurt to write. He was even holding it correctly. So he asked if he could do his homework using his left hand. I told him to do what was comfortable, so he did do it all in his left hand. It's just as legible, if not better than his right, and he said he felt so much better. This morning he asked which hand he should write with and I again told him whatever was more comfortable. Is that the right answer? Should I be forcing him to use his right because he's been using it all along? I see no harm doing it since his writing isn't any worse and he actually slows down and writes nicely, but not sure if thats the right answer. I was hoping some OTs or teachers could weigh in on this.

hillview
12-04-2018, 12:49 PM
I would take him to an OT to get it sorted out

PunkyBoo
12-04-2018, 12:56 PM
Pencil grip is an area the school district will address. Tell your school psychologist/ counselor, or teacher that he is struggling with hand pain when writing, and that he has had issues with switched dominance. The school can bring out an OT to evaluate and offer suggestions. My son was seeing a private OT for other issues and I complained to her about his awful handwriting and complaints of hand pain, and she told me the school is required to address it when a parent requests. I'm in California, but it may be applicable in other states too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MSWR0319
12-04-2018, 01:38 PM
I should mention (and actually forgot about it till I read replies) that in 1st grade he did go to OT for another issue, but during the eval she noticed how horrible he was struggling with his writing. She worked with him regularly on hand strength and correct letter formation and without her we’d be in really big trouble. However, that was all with his right hand. I’ve also brought it up with the OT at school and she just gave me a pencil grip to give him to try and correct and then told me it didn’t really matter, as he’s be typing on his Chromebook and not needing to write in a few years. Maybe if I put something in writing instead of meeting with her?

#2ontheway
12-04-2018, 05:02 PM
I’ve also brought it up with the OT at school and she just gave me a pencil grip to give him to try and correct and then told me it didn’t really matter, as he’s be typing on his Chromebook and not needing to write in a few years. Maybe if I put something in writing instead of meeting with her?

Okay, no personal experience and I'm no expert, but good grief does this seem like a ridiculous response. He will be writing his entire life with his hand. Not EVERYTHING will be typed. Good lord. Help the kid out!

MSWR0319
12-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Okay, no personal experience and I'm no expert, but good grief does this seem like a ridiculous response. He will be writing his entire life with his hand. Not EVERYTHING will be typed. Good lord. Help the kid out!

THANK YOU!!! This was what I was thinking as well and I'm pretty sure my jaw hit the ground when she said that. I type a lot now, but I still write quite a bit as well.

niccig
12-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Pencil grip is an area the school district will address. Tell your school psychologist/ counselor, or teacher that he is struggling with hand pain when writing, and that he has had issues with switched dominance. The school can bring out an OT to evaluate and offer suggestions. My son was seeing a private OT for other issues and I complained to her about his awful handwriting and complaints of hand pain, and she told me the school is required to address it when a parent requests. I'm in California, but it may be applicable in other states too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Let me clarify the “schools must address it”. If you request an evaluation, the school needs to assess. It depends on the results of the assessment if the child qualifies under your state’s education code for OT. They need to have a disability that has educational impact. At least in CA, disability typically needs to be moderate to severe severity, mild level doesn’t meet Ed Code criteria. Each state has different qualifying criteria.

And in CA, OT can not be a stand alone related service. There has to be a disability such as Speech or Language Impairment, Autism, Specific Learning Disability, Intellectual Disability, or Other Health Impairment. I wish it wasn’t this way as I’ll need to dismiss a student from Speech or Language Impairment as they no longer qualify for that because now testing within average for age, but they still need OT. We’ve had to reassess and student gets another eligibility if qualifies or they’re dismissed from all services. Thankfully, my students did qualify under other eligibility so they continued with OT.

If his issues with writing don’t rise to level of a disability that impacts education, you may need to see an OT through your Health insurance.

Definitely ask for an evaluation from the school in writing. It’s the only way to know if he’ll qualify or not. And find out eligibility criteria for your state. I only know CA.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

123LuckyMom
12-04-2018, 10:22 PM
I know nothing about requesting evaluations or anything, but the original question was whether it was okay to let him switch from writing with his right hand to writing with his left when he says it’s far more comfortable to write with his left, he is better able to grip correctly with his left, and his writing is perfectly legible with his left. My answer would be, heck, yes! He’s probably a lefty. But I don’t think the label is important. He should do what’s most comfortable as long as his writing is legible. Is there something I’m missing that makes this answer problematic? Does it really matter which hand he uses if his grip is correct, he’s comfortable, and his writing is legible?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

KpbS
12-04-2018, 11:34 PM
I've been a lefty all my life but I can write some with my right hand as well. It takes me longer and somehow cursive is easier than printing. If it is easier/more natural for him (hurts less!?!) to write with his left hand, I would say run with that kiddo! I think I would make an appt with a new OT just for an eval/check to see if he/she has any recommendations for practicing to get up to speed with the left hand writing and leave the school, teacher, etc. out of it.

georgiegirl
12-05-2018, 12:58 AM
Mil was forced to write with her right hand (even though she’s a lefty.). But that was under communism in the 50s.

I agree with finding him a good OT.