PDA

View Full Version : Puffy jackets and booster seats?

trcy
12-05-2018, 08:45 AM
I know puffy jackets are a no with car seats, but what about booster seats? Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

georgiegirl
12-05-2018, 09:57 AM
That’s the same as wearing a puffy jacket as an adult with a seat belt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gymnbomb
12-05-2018, 10:59 AM
Really no one should wear a puffy jacket in the car, including adults. In practice you can reduce the risk for adults or those in booster seats by unzipping the jacket and making sure the seatbelt is flat against the body under the jacket. So not recommended, but if you have to do it, at least do it as safely as possible.

BunnyBee
12-05-2018, 12:26 PM
I have my kids put their coats on backwards after they buckle.

bisous
12-05-2018, 03:23 PM
I had no idea that was a problem for adults. We don’t wear coats often but it wouldn’t have occurred to me not to wear a jacket and then buckle. Thanks for posting.

trcy
12-05-2018, 03:49 PM
That’s the same as wearing a puffy jacket as an adult with a seat belt.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkIt never even occurred to me that was unsafe to do. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

HannaAddict
12-06-2018, 01:49 PM
Really no one should wear a puffy jacket in the car, including adults. In practice you can reduce the risk for adults or those in booster seats by unzipping the jacket and making sure the seatbelt is flat against the body under the jacket. So not recommended, but if you have to do it, at least do it as safely as possible.

Car seat belts, for newer cars, are also designed to tighten and stay tight in a crash so puffy coat not nearly as big of a risk as baby or child in a car seat with straps that only tighten to comfort level over the coat. In a crash, my car seatbelts literally push you back into the seat and are designed to, coat or no coat. There are articles about this, google away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smilequeen
12-06-2018, 04:11 PM
Car seat belts, for newer cars, are also designed to tighten and stay tight in a crash so puffy coat not nearly as big of a risk as baby or child in a car seat with straps that only tighten to comfort level over the coat. In a crash, my car seatbelts literally push you back into the seat and are designed to, coat or no coat. There are articles about this, google away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. I will say though, cars warm up fast so my kids do not wear coats in the car. I have more of a safety issue with them wiggling around to take them off 5 minutes later because it’s now warm. So they take them off and use them as blankets until the car warms up.