PDA

View Full Version : How to handle gifts?

DualvansMommy
12-05-2018, 02:16 PM
I feel quite fortunate for the boys to have so many great involved people in their lives and want to treat them accordingly.

This year seems to be the 1st year I’m struggling how to divide the gifts among ourselves, the 3 sets of grandparents and Santa.

How many do you generally give your kids as from yourselves, Santa and each set of grandparents if applicable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PZMommy
12-05-2018, 02:24 PM
They each get one gift from Santa. As for gifts from others I have a limit I spend as do my parents. The amount of gifts varies. For example this year they are getting a Nintendo switch from us, so that and a couple of games/accessories are it from us. My parents will get them a few things each. As they get older and the gifts cost more, they have less gifts under the tree.

khalloc
12-05-2018, 03:11 PM
In our house Santa gives most of the gifts. It doesnt really matter that much anymore since neither of the kids believe in Santa anymore. Usually mom and dad give the boring gifts like clothes, etc...Grandparents spend equally on the grandkids. I give them some ideas and usually order things for my mom who isnt much of an online shopper and doesnt know what to get if she goes into the store herself. ha ha.

Now my kids are wanting very expensive gifts - DS is 10 and the only thing he wants is a gaming computer + keyboard/mouse. He also asked for a desk and chair, but that is not happening right now.

DD is asking for a bunch of stuff and her most expensive gift she wants is an Apple Watch Series 4 - $400 right there.

Next year I am going to cap it at like $500 tops. Its getting ridiculous. The PC is so expensive, but we dont have a family computer right now so its a good idea to get one, so we are splurging on that.

123LuckyMom
12-05-2018, 04:39 PM
My children used to get many gifts from relatives for both Chanukah and Christmas, so we would get them experience gifts throughout the 12 days of Christmas and maybe two small physical gifts, one for Christmas and one for Epiphany. Santa gets them one or two gifts that foster family togetherness, and also packs stockings with candy (of which they know Mom and Dad disapprove) and small toys that we would never get them, like LOL stuff or Pokémon. Santa brings miracles like that. Now they only get a gift or two from other relatives, and only for Christmas, so we do Chanukah gelt (the chocolate kind) only for Chanukah and have upped the physical gifts slightly, but not by much and often with things they need or we would have bought anyway like new pjs or a replacement scooter for one that broke. We try hard to keep the focus on Advent until the 24th, and then when most people think the Holiday is over, we do special things each day of Christmas and have an Epiphany party on January 6th with a gift each.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

hbridge
12-05-2018, 04:56 PM
Santa always bring the thing that mom has said "no way" to (but could tolerate if she HAD too :) ) and the things that may be super unusual (elf made type things).

carolinamama
12-05-2018, 05:22 PM
In our house Santa gives most of the gifts. It doesnt really matter that much anymore since neither of the kids believe in Santa anymore. Usually mom and dad give the boring gifts like clothes, etc...Grandparents spend equally on the grandkids. I give them some ideas and usually order things for my mom who isnt much of an online shopper and doesnt know what to get if she goes into the store herself. ha ha.

Now my kids are wanting very expensive gifts - DS is 10 and the only thing he wants is a gaming computer + keyboard/mouse. He also asked for a desk and chair, but that is not happening right now.

DD is asking for a bunch of stuff and her most expensive gift she wants is an Apple Watch Series 4 - $400 right there.

Next year I am going to cap it at like $500 tops. Its getting ridiculous. The PC is so expensive, but we dont have a family computer right now so its a good idea to get one, so we are splurging on that.

Can I ask what gaming computer you ended up getting? DS2 (10yo) is also asking for one and I am uncertain whether Santa will be bringing it or not. We also do not have a family computer so I could may be justify it that way but I'm not sold yet.

As for gifts, I decide what Santa will bring and then pass out lists to grandparents. Each year is different depending on what kids need/want. We have had huge Santa years and smaller ones. Honestly, the kids haven't been happier after the big ones than the smaller. I used Amazon wishlists when they were younger for relatives but now their wishes are more expensive, specific and not always available on Amazon. DH and I give the kids a trip each year from us.

speo
12-05-2018, 05:44 PM
The best gift per kid is from us. Much of the rest is from Santa. They always get an ornament and that is from us.

I email a list to all relatives that have asked for a list. We do it for their birthdays also. They each know to reply all to the group letting everyone know what they have bought. There was a bit of a learning curve at the beginning. The tough part is that we have to have decided many of our main gifts before I send out the list. We haven't yet (we are slow!), so the list hasn't been sent for this Christmas. Sometimes I reply to the group when I decide later that we want to buy something off the list.

All of this was easier when the boys were younger! Funny about the gaming PCs. Mine want to build their own and are researching components.

JBaxter
12-05-2018, 06:06 PM
Grandparents generally give a small gift and then cash/check here. Everything else is from Santa/mom & dad We are beyond santa now so I wrap each kid in a different color and dont even put names on them I wrap as a buy and keep a list. They go under the tree on christmas eve. Any non parent/ santa gifts can be opened on Christmas eve. here

specialp
12-05-2018, 09:51 PM
Santa visit is early -usually the day before Thanksgiving because grandma wants to go and they are in town. Can ask for up to 5 things from santa, but no more. There’s a lot of thought and goes into getting that list down to 5. Santa gifts come from that list and they are often not the most expensive. I think because we go so early it’s more the stuff that’s been pined after for a while rather than the impulse things from commercials, displays or friends’ lists. Santa does not give gifts we disapprove of. (Never been an issue, but throwing it out there because PPs are the opposite.) Of course things get added to the list after santa’s visit so we go from there. Grandparents each give a reasonable gift nothing huge, sometimes a bit of $ and sometimes not, and my mom puts the rest in 529. It’s somewhat the opposite at birthdays in that DH and I give a small gift and the grandparents give a bigger b’day gift than us. My sisters each give a gift, but we don’t do that with aunts/uncles on DH’s side.

If there is anything on the list that I know would delight a grandparent or an Aunt to give or at least be in their area of interest, I work my influence of keeping that off of Santa's list. I’ve suggested moving a few things off the santa list for later and then of course, grandparents or Aunts give them and are giving things they know something about themselves.

essnce629
12-06-2018, 02:36 AM
They each get one gift from Santa. As for gifts from others I have a limit I spend as do my parents. The amount of gifts varies. For example this year they are getting a Nintendo switch from us, so that and a couple of games/accessories are it from us. My parents will get them a few things each. As they get older and the gifts cost more, they have less gifts under the tree.

We're pretty much the same. Usually 1 gift (unwrapped) plus stockings are from Santa. My kids both keep Amazon wish lists year round so the grandparents buy off there. I buy stuff off their wish lists as well plus books and possibly a few other things I find on my own.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

khalloc
12-06-2018, 10:39 AM
Can I ask what gaming computer you ended up getting? DS2 (10yo) is also asking for one and I am uncertain whether Santa will be bringing it or not. We also do not have a family computer so I could may be justify it that way but I'm not sold yet.

As for gifts, I decide what Santa will bring and then pass out lists to grandparents. Each year is different depending on what kids need/want. We have had huge Santa years and smaller ones. Honestly, the kids haven't been happier after the big ones than the smaller. I used Amazon wishlists when they were younger for relatives but now their wishes are more expensive, specific and not always available on Amazon. DH and I give the kids a trip each year from us.

Well my husband ended up buying a kit to build his own from NewEgg. I dont know what it entails yet, but it came with a case, a i7 Intel processor, etc...then he spent even more money to buy a super graphics card from a guy he works with that was into mining bitcoins, and he bought an additional SSD harddrive and motherboard. I'm honestly not sure why he even bought the kit to be honest.

Its my job to buy the keyboard and mouse and DS wants pretty expensive ones!

TwinFoxes
12-06-2018, 11:09 AM
Here, Santa gives a big WOW gift and lots of other cool gifts. We give gifts that aren't as thrilling. We don't have that many relatives that give gifts to the kids, but they pretty much "claim" a gift and tell us so we don't give duplicates. The people who do shop for the girls are early shoppers, so we know with plenty of time who's getting what.