PDA

View Full Version : where to get kids glasses affordably?

doberbrat
12-05-2018, 06:37 PM
I'm a BJs member not costco. I'll try there - walmart?

I'm getting glasses through ins but its going to take 3-4weeks.

dd's first glasses *sniff*

Snow mom
12-05-2018, 06:42 PM
Walmart for sure! Selection is limited for smaller faces--what you see on the rack is what they have (no other sizes/colors) but starting at K age you should be able to find something suitable. Walmart has a one year replacement for any breakage (even if your kid steps on their glasses), 30 day satisfaction guarantee on the frame (they will make new lenses to go with different frames if what you choose isn't suitable), and they automatically upgrade to acetate lenses for kids under 18 for the standard lens price ($29 for standard, $49 for anti-glare, $79 for transitions when we got glasses last spring).

gymnbomb
12-05-2018, 07:37 PM
Probably won’t help right now, but for the future keep an eye out at BJs at back to school time. They do a special for kids glasses where you choose a frame that is marked $100 or less and the complete pair is like $40, or 2 complete pair for $70 or $75. That is where DS got his new ones in August. They are almost always having some glasses special, but I think that is the best one. There wasn’t a huge selection, but my 4 year old had 4-6 pair in that price range that fit him well to choose from. Older/bigger kids would have more choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marymoo86
12-05-2018, 10:10 PM
Zenni Optical and Warby Parker are the 2 I see recommended often

twowhat?
12-05-2018, 10:13 PM
I hate Walmart but they are fast, accessible, cheap, and do a good job with glasses. Look at the kids frames but also look at the smaller adult frames - there are a good handful of options there as well, particularly for women.

magnoliaparadise
12-06-2018, 02:57 AM
I get mine at Costco... I do not get my eyes checked there. I just come with my prescription.

In terms of designs, they are hit or miss because their samples are all attached to specific sizes - so it's not like I can go and see a great pair of glasses and get them in any (my) size like a normal place (or even in contrast to BJs, which I am not a member). As a result, the selection for any one particular size is not all that large, especially when my kid and I look for her. That being said, they are pretty cheap, especially if you get specific timed promotions. In addition, they come with a year warranty (or you can 'return' them because they are Costco items anytime for any reason, at least in my Costo).

I came back to the glasses desk with a question about a year and a half after I bought my glasses and the guy noticed that they were a little loose and he was not able to fix them at the desk.
He offered to take them off of me and get a new pair under the one year warranty - even though I was significantly over the year and hadn't thought of it myself. So I went home, got my contacts on, and next time at Costco gave him the pair, and got a completely new set of glasses sent to me within a week.

However, at Costco, the optometrist is contracted and local so I think the services vary by the Costco location. Like in mine, the 'Costco' part of the service (the returns and in my case new pair after a year or more) are great, but I personally think the optometrists at the desk (and I have heard the ones doing the eyesight check up) are inconsistent in their demeanor.

elephantmeg
12-06-2018, 07:58 AM
We've done walmart and costco. Walmart has worked better with the hours that I can go in to get them fixed. Costco's hours didn't work as well. We always do the 2 year insurance-it's paid for itself multiple times.

klwa
12-06-2018, 10:27 AM
I've had good luck with BJs for my own glasses.

Simon
12-06-2018, 07:37 PM
I think I've posted our experiences before but WMart was very good to us and we are not at all big fans of that store. Great prices, excellent service and warranty. We absolutely did use their "free repairs and free replacement" options. I loved that we could get glasses fixed and adjusted in any state as we travel a lot and they made it very painless. Costco was much more expensive with limited options and the prices were so much higher. I wanted to like them but just didn't.

doberbrat
12-06-2018, 07:59 PM
I stopped at BJs today - they take 2 weeks to get the glasses in. I'll call Walmart b/c there isnt one nearby that has glasses and I'm carless at the moment. I have the feeling by the time I get it together, it will be the same time frame as the ones the ins are sending.

I dont want to do zenni for 1st pair b/c of the measuring. I have the pd measurement bt not the ear length and everything else.

KpbS
12-07-2018, 12:20 AM
Definitely Walmart. We have gotten multiple pairs over the years and have been very pleased. They have done a great job and are super affordable.

catsnkid
12-07-2018, 11:48 AM
As much as I hate to say it.. Walmart. Got good customer service and a good price.