PDA

View Full Version : Getting older kids to play outside in the winter/ snow

ourbabygirl
12-06-2018, 07:02 PM
Hoping for some wisdom and ideas from all of you... it's like pulling teeth around here getting my 2nd and 4th graders to play outside after school! I pick them up, and we're home by 4:30 or so, but they come up with every excuse not to go play outside. I'm tired of having the kids that have to be forced to go play outside!
Other than threatening to take away screen time and make them do more chores, or alternatively, offering hot cocoa after they come back in (but I don't want them ruining their dinners), what else can I do to get them to want to play outside and to not fight me on it? All I asked is for them to play for 20 minutes before it gets too dark, and they seriously act like I'm the meanest mom in the world!

I'm hoping to find more kids in the neighborhood for them to play with, but most of them this age are in after-school sports and stuff, so they're not around to play, anyhow.
If you live in a place with cold and snowy winters, do you have anything fun to do in your backyard that's enjoyable for your older kids? Especially if you don't have a hill to sled on?

Thanks for your help!

squimp
12-06-2018, 07:48 PM
Geocaching? Pokemon (is that still a thing)? Dog walking? Drop them off and make them walk? (only partially kidding)

I am with you, it's hard to get them outside sometimes! But it's so good for them.

doberbrat
12-06-2018, 08:02 PM
we hang at the playground after school for an hour. that works for dd2.

I have been known to tell dd1 to get out of my house adn come back in 20min or more. she can sit in a chair outside or she can walk/bike etc. since its much much colder to just sit, she will usually (angrily) go for a walk. Otherwise, she would be happy to lay in her bed till she grows attached to it reading.

DualvansMommy
12-06-2018, 08:17 PM
My 2nd grader is getting really into soccer those days, and willing goes outside even in cold and wet conditions to kick around his ball in our yard! Sometimes I have the opposite problem...trying to get him back in after being outside for so long 🤪

It’s DS2 that I have trouble kicking him out during the winter cuz he doesn’t care for soccer. Loves riding his bike which is hard to do over icy and wet snowy conditions! So my compromise is I usually take them to a popular park with a ball and bike for both to play along the trials. I do that on weekends since most evenings after school it’s a sport activity I’ve to drive them. They love hitting that park cuz always see other kids they know from school and can hang during our time at the park. Maybe do that? Find out which parks most kids go to and go there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SnuggleBuggles
12-06-2018, 09:19 PM
If they have recess or PE at school, I don’t make them go outside.

It sounds like you’d really benefit from signing up for some classes or activities. Maybe join a rec center (YMCA, community...) and just go there. Swim, basketball, friends...I know I’ve suggested it before though so I’m guessing it’s just not of interest. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ourbabygirl
12-06-2018, 09:32 PM
Thanks, Everyone! Some good ideas!
Part of the thing is that I need to stay home while my 3 year old naps, since DH is working. So I thought they could go outside (hopefully together) for 20 minutes or so. I'm going to try to meet more people in the neighborhood and invite their kids over... one of them couldn't come over today, so she's coming over on Sun. :)

SnuggleBuggles
12-06-2018, 09:38 PM
Thanks, Everyone! Some good ideas!
Part of the thing is that I need to stay home while my 3 year old naps, since DH is working. So I thought they could go outside (hopefully together) for 20 minutes or so. I'm going to try to meet more people in the neighborhood and invite their kids over... one of them couldn't come over today, so she's coming over on Sun. :)

That makes sense. :) good luck with the new kids!

Kindra178
12-06-2018, 10:43 PM
Sledding.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
12-06-2018, 11:02 PM
Playing outside in the snow/ cold rarely appealed to me as a kid. Maybe an occasional day but I would have scoffed if my mom tried to send me out every day. If it’s just the physical activity part, go buy an old Wii U and games like Just Dance, Wii Sports, Wii Resort and other active games. They’ll have fun and I don’t really count it as screen time if they’re moving.

mom2binsd
12-06-2018, 11:57 PM
We live in the Midwest so plenty of cold. At that age if there was even a snowflake they would be outside, pulling each other in the sled all over the yard, one day they skated on the sidewalk when it was icy.

My kids play basketball almost all year, DS and his buddies play football and baseball (blitzball) after school, even in winter. They are into sports though and love being outside. In the summer they play ghosts in the graveyard all over the neighborhood.

For your kids, do you have a playstructure in your yard? What about a family walk to the park to play?

It seems my kids are more active than a lot of kids (and are very involved in travel hockey, swimming, lacrosse) , they do play video games but not that much.

I think all kids need at least an hour of activity each day, PE usually isn't enough. Free play or exercise is so beneficial.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

calebsmama03
12-07-2018, 01:49 AM
Honestly? Why force them? I absolutely loathe being cold. It is physically painful for me and even as a kid I didn’t want to be outside in the cold. I found it cruel to be forced to play outside so I don’t force my kids to go out. Now, my kids seem to be the opposite of me and are never cold but still I’m not going to force them outside. I don’t let them make up that extra time on screens or other “brain junk” pastimes but I’m personally fine with them staying in and playing legos or reading. I work at a school and have seen kids in tears because they didn’t want to be outside in the cold. I don’t think it’s a big deal to leave them inside on frigid days.

magnoliaparadise
12-07-2018, 05:18 AM
I push my kids to do many things, but going outside isn't one of them... I actually like the idea so now I'm wondering why I don't do it :).

I guess all and all, I just feel like I should let them take the lead on going outside. They are soooo tired at the end of the day and need downtime. And the house is so warm and cozy. I used to LOVE to play in the snow when I was little, but I did it when *I* wanted to and there were many kids in the neighborhood, which made is easier and more fun. Now, I rarely see kids just roaming the neighborhood in cold weather.

I am trying, though, to take a walk with them as many days as possible (which we are just starting so we will see how it works). I am doing this mostly to get alone time with them and because I feel like they are more likely to talk when I walk with them.

And once good weather hits, my kids do get their bikes out.

I think the question should be what one's goal is to send kids out. If I were sending them out, I would decide:
- Am I sending them out to learn to play independently and make their own fun?
- or to run around and be physically active?
- or to just get away from screens?
- or to get outside because it's good to be in nature/outside?

If the reason for you is mainly physical, and kids hate going outside, they can be active in classes or inside. After many years of one-off classes, my oldest is suddenly into dance and does it four times a week (that isn't considered intense around here because most of those days, she does it only for one hour).

But I can see the merits of being outside. Sometimes my kids and I will go on a short hike, or my oldest will go on a hike with her girl scout troop and I feel like she/we are all exhausted in a good way after those. And if you google anything about 'how to live a good life', I think many of people write 'get out into nature and walk every day'. At least that's what pops up on my Quora all the time :).

doberbrat
12-07-2018, 08:50 AM
I think there's difference between being outside in the cold vs frigid. tomorrow its going to be in the low 20s with a pretty big windchill. I wouldn't Make dd1 go outside but will still encourage her to take a walk at least.

It does take getting used to and whether kids can be outside alone depends on a whole bunch of stuff but there is HUGE value IMO of unstructured time outside figuring stuff out. How to climb the tree, playing in dirt, collecting leaves/rocks/sticks whatever. There is a core group that hangs at the playground daily and its great to watch kids of various ages/abilities whatever do pickup games of soccer, tag, collecting etc. No one is excluded and parents rarely get involved unless we absolutely have to. They learn so much this way.

fwiw, we bike year round unless its raining or there is an ice storm. Biking in the snow is a HUGE blast esp during that time when roads are being plowed but there is some snow on them. Once the roads are plowed, its not much different than non snowy roads. I make sure the school clears the bike parking b/c we bike to school year round.

smilequeen
12-07-2018, 10:22 AM
Do you have a dog to walk? I can get my reluctant 11 year old to ride his scooter along on a dog walk with me. Or just a walk with you if there is not a dog. I do think that even just 15 minutes of fresh air can make a big difference as long as it's not dangerously cold.

We don't get that much snow so I don't have a problem getting my kids to play in it when it actually happens. They stayed out for like 6 hours when we got a November snow this year (5 inches, so definitely playable :)). It was barely cold enough for the snow to stick around though. I was out there with them for half of it.

almostmom
12-07-2018, 10:40 AM
The play structure we had at out last house was a great pull. Snow or not, they would hang out in the little fort or swing. I miss having it - even as teenagers I bet they would like one. It's kind of a backyard destination.

My kids do love being out in the snow with the right gear. But it's times like now, when it's cold but not snow, that it's harder. Having a dog definitely gets all of us outside more - they take him on walks or play fetch/run around with him in the backyard.

Until there is snow, my kids did scooter, or play basketball, or pogo stick in the driveway. Or draw with chalk.