PDA

View Full Version : How to thank the vilkage

niccig
12-06-2018, 09:43 PM
Village!!!!! Or just make sure to reciprocate when I can to pass it on.

I’ve needed help from so many people. Other moms are helping to get DS home from school some days. One is even picking him up at early dismissal with her son and dropping them off at nearby Starbucks so they can hang out like they usually do. DS can’t walk that far. Then coming back to get them and will drop DS at home.

My school work colleagues have covered for me, given advice on school accommodations for a 504 plan, and have been so understanding when it’s taken longer to get work done, or when I’m totally confused and forget things at work.

My hospital colleagues got DS into PT without usual wait time and fixed a paperwork snafu. Their most experienced PT for this condition doesn’t usually treat outpatient but she volunteered to see DS. I know she’s very busy. Apparently there were a ton of emails between her and others to figure out the paperwork problem and even involved higher up supervisors that I barely know.

I’m just floored at how much help.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

trales
12-06-2018, 09:57 PM
You thank everyone you can in person, when the time comes, pass on the good will and help!

niccig
12-06-2018, 10:03 PM
I’m thanking them!! I’m so very grateful.

I’ve always tried to help if I can, but this is a LOT of help. And feel getting more than give out

PZMommy
12-06-2018, 11:13 PM
I think just thanking them and then pay it forward when you can. I currently have a coworker out on extended medical leave. Every week I bring home all the papers/tests from her class and drop them off, and then bring them back to her sub on Monday. I don’t mind doing it. She keeps saying she owes me lunch, but I don’t need her to do anything for me. I’m just glad I live close enough to her to help out.

I remember back when I had my youngest and he was in and out of the hospital for weeks at a time. Other teachers stepped up to help me out and leave lesson plans for subs, make copies, cover my class, when we were admitted in the middle of the night, had to leave work in the middle of the day, etc. I like to believe that most people like to help others out just because it is the right thing to do, vs wanting or expecting something in return.

KpbS
12-07-2018, 12:23 AM
So glad you are having lots of help! That is wonderful! In person thank yous are perfect and if you have a minute in a few weeks a hand written note of thanks is always well received. (((Hugs)))

niccig
12-07-2018, 12:35 AM
I know how I can pay it forward. have a special ed teacher I teach a lesson each week who has 2 family members with serious medical issues. Way more than I’m dealing with. She asked me to send her the computer files. Over winter break, I’ll print and laminate them for her

magnoliaparadise
12-07-2018, 05:26 AM
That's so great that you are getting so much support and have such a great community.

Here are some thank you ideas...
- like others have said, saying thanks in person or writing a note
- baking something
- making a little donation to a cause that you think is important to the person (or you) in their name (too weird? I think I'd love if someone made a contribution under my name, but maybe others wouldn't). Doesn't have to be large.
- having a big (easy, relaxed) party after your son's leg is better (I think you have the son with the hurt leg?) and make a big social event of it, even if it's a holiday (or spring) lunch party in your house or even like an 'open house' where people come and go.
- in the case of your colleagues, writing a note to their bosses about how great they are (unless that would make them uncomfortable or be too weird)

gymnbomb
12-07-2018, 07:20 AM
I know how I can pay it forward. have a special ed teacher I teach a lesson each week who has 2 family members with serious medical issues. Way more than I’m dealing with. She asked me to send her the computer files. Over winter break, I’ll print and laminate them for her

It sounds like you have done appropriate thanking and have a great plan for how to pay it forward. I try to remind myself that I don’t have to make everything even today or this year. There are times when I need a bit more help from friends and colleagues, and other times maybe years in the past or years in the future when I am the one who is in a position to do the big favors for others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RedSuedeShoes
12-07-2018, 04:01 PM
I'm so glad you are getting so much support and help! Isn't that just a wonderful thing to have when you need it?

I used to worry about repaying people for their help. Like I owed them something. Now that I'm older and have been a mom longer, through more stages, I don't think it has to work in exact reciprocity. Sure, you can be willing to help that same person when you see they need it. But you can also just watch for ways to help anyone when you see you can. Just like you said with the teacher you can help. And I definitely make sure to express my gratitude to the people who helped me (& make sure their supervisors know about it, too). There's certainly nothing wrong with thanking those who helped you, and helping them if you see a way to. But don't feel guilty until you do. Just go forward with gratitude, and know that you will see opportunities to be that support for someone.