PDA

View Full Version : Exercise frequency and duration for HEALTH

bisous
12-11-2018, 09:34 AM
I have MUCH more time on my hands now that all four of my kids are in school. I am working a lot more too I must note. But even with all my extra time I’m just not prioritizing certain activities. Like cooking and exercising. I should but I just don’t love these activities!

What kind of an exercise program would be best from a health standpoint? I’m trying to figure out if I can get away with 20 minutes a day of pushups and sit-ups or if 2 days of hard vigorous exercise would be enough and which would be better? I kinda want to do the minimum. There’s just so much to do. I want healthy lungs and bones but in the least disruptive way possible.

TIA!

SnuggleBuggles
12-11-2018, 09:39 AM
I think the answer varies by routine. Getting an hour's worth is a good goal. I typically do about an hour, 5 days/ week. I alternate between cardio and weights, usually within the same workout but some parts of the year work out where I am taking 2 hour long walks 2-3 days/ week and just doing weights the other days. I miss that now that it's winter. I'll get back to that in April

If you want short but effective, 20 minutes of sit ups and push ups isn't it. Download the Nike Training app and play around with the workouts there. Most are under 20 minutes long and will give you a much more complete workout. One of the HIIT (high intensity interval training) workouts kicked my butt last week and was only 20 minutes long. The app is cheap and really, really good. It walks you through a full workout and has videos of the moves going so you know what to do.

ETA- definitely work your way up. Just saying that there are more thorough workouts that will be of more value. The Nike app has beginner workouts. :)

marymoo86
12-11-2018, 09:54 AM
Walking! Easy way to incorporate steps in a day. Park further, avoid car when possible, take stairs when able, etc.

Be mindful of way to add in activity.

Dog motivates me to get out at lunch time for a big walk. Add in weight resistance where you can. Strong bones/muscles will be a key benefit as you age.

Dayzy
12-11-2018, 10:00 AM
If you're just starting out, don't push too hard. You need to work up to a routine. I started by looking at youtube and working on Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home program. It's a quick little workout to start out with.

WatchingThemGrow
12-11-2018, 10:01 AM
We have a cheap conveniently located gym and I have found that meeting a friend after drop off has been so great for a few years. We walk and catch up at the same time, and we get in 30-45 min on the treadmills, rain or shine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nfceagles
12-11-2018, 11:36 AM
How about the 7 minute workout app. You can do multiple workouts if you have more than 7 minutes.

mmsmom
12-11-2018, 11:46 AM
New guidelines were recently released... I haven’t seen them but heard an instructor talking about them so you could look those up.

IMHO, HIIT (high intensity interval training) is the best. HIIT can be done in 30 minutes and you should only do it 3x/week. Fitness Blender is a great, free site for these workouts. Then aim for weights 2x/week and walking 30 minutes 2x/week.

BDKmom
12-11-2018, 11:58 AM
The CDC recommendation for adults is 150 minutes of moderately-intense or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise per week. IMO, pushups and sit ups alone won’t meet that. Also, pushups and sit-ups work very small muscle groups, so you won’t burn very many calories and probably won’t get your heart rate up much. Squats and lunges added in would help, along with jumping jacks, mountain climbers—things like that. There are tons of apps and you tube videos that you can use for that stuff. Walking can be good, too, especially if you mix it in with some strength training stuff. I know it can be hard to prioritize that stuff, but think about how it will help your family in the long run. The healthier you are as you get older, the less your children will have to take care of you.

bisous
12-11-2018, 12:36 PM
Thank you all!!

I appreciate the health guidelines! So my fitness level is probably not all that low. I can do 100 squats or a 6 mile rigorous hike without too much trouble. Truth is, I hate working out too hard because not only does it take time to workout but then I have to wash my hair and that is time consuming and obnoxious to me, lol. I like washing it every Wednesday and Sunday.

Maybe I just add in one more shower per week and do 3 HIIT workouts? I could do those at 5:00 am when I’m getting DS1 ready for seminary.

I would love to walk 1 to 2 times a week as I find it really good for my mental health but have a hard time fitting that in. My walks are usually longer so I can’t do them before I drop the kids off at school. Also, maybe there will come a point that those kids in school hours feel a little less precious? It’s been 15 years since I’ve had this much time to myself and I am LOVING it, so maybe start with 1 big walk a week?

I need to do weights. My family is predisposed to osteoporosis and I know that weights are imperative to healthy bones. I confess I kind of though weight bearing exercises like the kind in a HIIT workout would be enough.

What do you think?

mom2binsd
12-11-2018, 01:15 PM
If you get the Beach Body app, it's 99.00 for year (you could see if friends want to split it with you, I think you have have 4 different log in names). It's got a huge variety of workouts you can do. I do HIIT at a gym 5x week. You can do things like a Tabata etc, just start searching HIIT workouts on Youtube. Also make sure you are doing pushups correctly, your elbows need to be towards your body (not sticking out or you really aren't doing much good, they are often referred to as military pushups, if needed start on your knees.). Also look at renting DVD's, Jillian Michaels etc, from the library. Lots of options to give yourself a variety.

gymnbomb
12-11-2018, 01:23 PM
New guidelines were recently released... I haven’t seen them but heard an instructor talking about them so you could look those up.

IMHO, HIIT (high intensity interval training) is the best. HIIT can be done in 30 minutes and you should only do it 3x/week. Fitness Blender is a great, free site for these workouts. Then aim for weights 2x/week and walking 30 minutes 2x/week.

The new guidelines basically say that everyone should get 150 minutes per week of moderate intensity activity or 75 minutes per week of high intensity activity (this part has not changed) BUT the difference in the new guidelines is they do a better job of emphasizing that a little bit is better than none, and that it isn't just the planned exercise part that is important, but also important to generally not be sedentary. If you choose to do vigorous activity make sure to work up to it. The biggest risk of injury/health dangers with exercise is when people jump in and do too much too quickly.

If you are only going to do one kind of activity, make it weight bearing aerobic activity (i.e. walking/jogging, not swimming/cycling). Though of course it's better to incorporate aerobic, resistance, and flexibility exercises.

Edit: For context, I am an exercise physiologist who admittedly doesn't always meet these guidelines myself.

MommyAllison
12-11-2018, 02:47 PM
I second the recommendation for workouts from fitnessblender.com :) They have hundreds of workout videos, all completely free. You can sort by type of workout, duration of workout, difficulty level, equipment, etc etc etc. They have a bunch of body weight only workouts too, where you are doing strength building exercises without needing dumbbells/kettlebells/etc. I’ve used the site on and off for a few years but 6 weeks ago I decided to get serious about it and have been working out 6 days/week with their workouts. It’s tough but fun to see things become easier and be able to lift heavier weights :)

marinkitty
12-11-2018, 03:07 PM
OP - I also have long hair that is super annoying to wash and blow dry often. I work out 5-6 days a week (running, yoga, pilates) and only wash my hair twice a week. In between I spray some dry shampoo in my hair and twist it up into a bun for the shower and just shower off my body after workouts. It works really well and sometimes my hair even looks better after one workout and a dose of dry shampoo than it did freshly washed. Dry shampoo can save me even after a very sweaty power yoga class.

You don't actually have to lift weights to get your weight bearing exercises in - you can do body-weight bearing exercise or use resistance bands/medicine ball or similar if you prefer that to more traditional free weights or machines.

bisous
12-11-2018, 06:31 PM
The new guidelines basically say that everyone should get 150 minutes per week of moderate intensity activity or 75 minutes per week of high intensity activity (this part has not changed) BUT the difference in the new guidelines is they do a better job of emphasizing that a little bit is better than none, and that it isn't just the planned exercise part that is important, but also important to generally not be sedentary. If you choose to do vigorous activity make sure to work up to it. The biggest risk of injury/health dangers with exercise is when people jump in and do too much too quickly.

If you are only going to do one kind of activity, make it weight bearing aerobic activity (i.e. walking/jogging, not swimming/cycling). Though of course it's better to incorporate aerobic, resistance, and flexibility exercises.

Edit: For context, I am an exercise physiologist who admittedly doesn't always meet these guidelines myself.

Thank you. This is just what I’m looking for. I will aim for that amount.

bisous
12-11-2018, 06:32 PM
OP - I also have long hair that is super annoying to wash and blow dry often. I work out 5-6 days a week (running, yoga, pilates) and only wash my hair twice a week. In between I spray some dry shampoo in my hair and twist it up into a bun for the shower and just shower off my body after workouts. It works really well and sometimes my hair even looks better after one workout and a dose of dry shampoo than it did freshly washed. Dry shampoo can save me even after a very sweaty power yoga class.

You don't actually have to lift weights to get your weight bearing exercises in - you can do body-weight bearing exercise or use resistance bands/medicine ball or similar if you prefer that to more traditional free weights or machines.

I should try that. I have used it before and my hair is blonde and tolerates a good dose of dry shampoo, lol.

bisous
12-11-2018, 06:33 PM
I second the recommendation for workouts from fitnessblender.com :) They have hundreds of workout videos, all completely free. You can sort by type of workout, duration of workout, difficulty level, equipment, etc etc etc. They have a bunch of body weight only workouts too, where you are doing strength building exercises without needing dumbbells/kettlebells/etc. I’ve used the site on and off for a few years but 6 weeks ago I decided to get serious about it and have been working out 6 days/week with their workouts. It’s tough but fun to see things become easier and be able to lift heavier weights :)

I have that site bookmarked. My problem is I have to work out almost silently in the morning in my tiny house so I don’t have little kids joining me. Maybe I need some wireless ear buds for Christmas. I’ve been doing Pinterest workouts but not all of them are created equal! Most are too short and not strenuous enough.

SnuggleBuggles
12-11-2018, 06:39 PM
I have that site bookmarked. My problem is I have to work out almost silently in the morning in my tiny house so I don’t have little kids joining me. Maybe I need some wireless ear buds for Christmas. I’ve been doing Pinterest workouts but not all of them are created equal! Most are too short and not strenuous enough.

That’s why I like my Nike app. I use my Bluetooth headphones. I don’t have to think. It just tells me what to do.

marymoo86
12-11-2018, 10:09 PM
I need to do weights. My family is predisposed to osteoporosis and I know that weights are imperative to healthy bones. I confess I kind of though weight bearing exercises like the kind in a HIIT workout would be enough.

What do you think?

Quality minerals preferably from food would likely have greater impact (mag, boron) or even cell salts but weight bearing exercise will definitely be a help.

MommyAllison
12-13-2018, 07:40 PM

In the description of each workout, they generally list out the exercises, how many repetitions for each one, how much weight they are using, etc. for those who aren't able to watch the videos, maybe that would help? Silent is tough. I hope you are able to find a good option!

magnoliaparadise
12-14-2018, 05:20 AM
Gaaaaa FOLLOWING!!!!