PDA

View Full Version : X-Post with Healthy You: Micronutrient testing by Spectracell

JustMe
12-13-2018, 01:22 AM
I posted this in Healthy You, but have not had any response so I'm trying here.

Any knowledge about Micronutrient testing by Spectracell labs? I went to a naturopath recently who recommended this, but did not push it. Supposedly it can tell what vitamins and minerals your cells are deficient in and does so in a way other blood tests dont. The cost is $190 (they have some agreement that if you put them through your insurance they will accept whatever fraction of their cost insurance pays for and the patient pays $190, unless the insurance covers the whole price..I don't think mine will pay anything). I googled and it gets some writes up of being useless and some being very helpful.

marymoo86
12-13-2018, 10:58 AM
I can't tell from the site how these labs are done for some - RBC versus serum, plasma etc are important. If you are interested in this type of testing - I would recommend this:

https://requestatest.com/mag-zinc-copper-panel-with-iron-panel-testing

It is useful in understanding what you are deficient in and how to naturally raise those levels in concert with others. Ratios are more important than individual values and popping synthetic vitamins as a result is not the goal.

The goal is understand how/why your body processing vits/minerals in the way it is. Low in iron? Then how is your copper? Low in D? Then how is your magnesium. You need someone who really understands the role of each and the intracacies of what happens when you raise or lower levels of these.

Melaine
12-13-2018, 11:19 AM
I have had a hair analysis done twice and it really gives a lot of info. It was about $100 I believe through my integrative med doc. Sorry I have not heard about that one.

JustMe
12-13-2018, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the replies! The test is being recommended by a local naturopath who has a good reputation. Anyone else have experience of knowledge of this test?

magnoliaparadise
12-15-2018, 09:22 AM
No experience, but VERY interested for myself and kids. I need to do this.

magnoliaparadise
12-15-2018, 09:23 AM
I can't tell from the site how these labs are done for some - RBC versus serum, plasma etc are important. If you are interested in this type of testing - I would recommend this:

https://requestatest.com/mag-zinc-copper-panel-with-iron-panel-testing

It is useful in understanding what you are deficient in and how to naturally raise those levels in concert with others. Ratios are more important than individual values and popping synthetic vitamins as a result is not the goal.

The goal is understand how/why your body processing vits/minerals in the way it is. Low in iron? Then how is your copper? Low in D? Then how is your magnesium. You need someone who really understands the role of each and the intracacies of what happens when you raise or lower levels of these.

Interesting. Thank you. I 'll look into this, too!

Melbel
12-15-2018, 09:31 AM
I have done similar testing (Genova ONE and Great Plains OAT) and found it helpful. I was able to have custom multi-vitamins compounded based on the Genova ONE results. I have many methylation mutations beyond MTHFR, so it is helpful to know the best type of supplements. As an example, I have high serum levels of B12, but am very deficient on a cellular level. The B12 is pooling in my blood and not being used. By switching up the type of B12, my body can actually use/benefit from the supplement.

JustMe
12-15-2018, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the replies. I feel like I am more likely to have the testing now; still not sure...

dogmom
12-16-2018, 09:16 AM
Well, I guess it depends on how much $190 is to you. Spectracell Labs has a proprietary testing process, so it’s basically impossible to have an independent evaluation of the test itself. There are many people doing research on micronutrients, you can google micro nutrient testing scholarly articles to start. (Despite what Mercola et al claim, research money is going into it.) The reality is to date there are not good clinical studies that show a strong correlation between supplements and treatments and clinical outcomes. I personally know one researching doing clinical studies on the use in critical ill individuals and Vit D and he can’t get reliable data to support it having a significant difference in outcome. I’m not saying this stuff is bad or totally unhelpful, but the claims are often very inflated and there is a lot of money being made.

I think in the end you have to decide what you feel comfortable spending/doing with the knowledge that it will be hard to tell if any benefit you get is from the actually test and clinical recommendations vs you wanting it to have an effect. I think if the person was insisting you have the test I would recommend you walking way. If it’s a suggestion I think you got to decide if the money is worth it to you.

JustMe
12-16-2018, 12:38 PM
Well, I guess it depends on how much $190 is to you. Spectracell Labs has a proprietary testing process, so it’s basically impossible to have an independent evaluation of the test itself. There are many people doing research on micronutrients, you can google micro nutrient testing scholarly articles to start. (Despite what Mercola et al claim, research money is going into it.) The reality is to date there are not good clinical studies that show a strong correlation between supplements and treatments and clinical outcomes. I personally know one researching doing clinical studies on the use in critical ill individuals and Vit D and he can’t get reliable data to support it having a significant difference in outcome. I’m not saying this stuff is bad or totally unhelpful, but the claims are often very inflated and there is a lot of money being made.

I think in the end you have to decide what you feel comfortable spending/doing with the knowledge that it will be hard to tell if any benefit you get is from the actually test and clinical recommendations vs you wanting it to have an effect. I think if the person was insisting you have the test I would recommend you walking way. If it’s a suggestion I think you got to decide if the money is worth it to you.

Thanks, yes, I think this is exactly my dilemma. The doctor is absolutely not insisting I have the test and is very matter-of-fact about it. It is hard to know if it will be helpful or not and that is the dilemma. As far as supplements, I have experienced myself that they can help me feel better, but the question is if this test would contribute to determining which supplements will be helpful or not.

dogmom
12-16-2018, 02:52 PM
Thanks, yes, I think this is exactly my dilemma. The doctor is absolutely not insisting I have the test and is very matter-of-fact about it. It is hard to know if it will be helpful or not and that is the dilemma. As far as supplements, I have experienced myself that they can help me feel better, but the question is if this test would contribute to determining which supplements will be helpful or not.

Hmmm...Well I can see it going two ways then. Supplements can be very expensive, so if you think they are helping and you are going to continue with this person I can see and arguement for doing the test.

If it were me I’d probably want to know what exactly he/she was expecting to get from these tests and how would it change the management. If the way you are measuring success is how you feel you can just make a trial change and keep a diary. That would lessen the confirmation bias that one always has for any medical treatment. (this person or tests said this would work, so...)

I know I’m not helping you make a decision here, but if one of those choices seems to resonate with you I would do that one. But I’ve got decades of looking at residents at work going “and HOW is this test going to change the management of the patient?” So the latter resonates with me. I can be a PIA to providers.