PDA

View Full Version : Skipping period on triphasil BCP

bnme
12-15-2018, 10:15 AM
Does anyone have any experience purposely skipping their period on orthtri-cyclen or similar? I just realized I'm due Christmas week and we are away skiing. I'd really rather not have it :32:. From what I've read, it seems not to work that well if you are on triphasil BCP. I have also seen 2 methods- one were you skip the blanks and go right to the next pack and the other where you go right to week 3 of the new pack (after week 3 of first pack) and just delay it for one week. I am 47 and get have pretty light 3 or 4 day periods, if it makes any difference. Still, I REALLY would rather not have it.

c&j04
12-15-2018, 10:34 AM
Skipping the blank week always gave me a light period and crazy intense cramping.

ray7694
12-15-2018, 01:27 PM
I have to take BC for migraines and only take the week off 4 times a year. I don’t have a period until I take the week off. I also get a migraine due to my hormones changing but only 4 times a year now.

gymnbomb
12-15-2018, 02:15 PM
I have done it (many years ago) on ortho tricyclen. I just skipped the inactive pills and started the new pack at week 1. But if you have never done it before and just need a one week extension, it might be a safer bet to go straight to week 3 (I haven’t been on that kind in ages, I am assuming that is the highest dose week) in the new pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bnme
12-15-2018, 02:40 PM
I’m worried about making it worse then just having it. Ray7694, are you using a triphasil type? Gymnbomb, did you experience breakthrough bleeding or extra cramps by skipping?

jgenie
12-15-2018, 03:24 PM
I used a different brand but years ago I would just skip the blanks for the months we would be traveling. I hated having my period on vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

gymnbomb
12-15-2018, 03:50 PM
I’m worried about making it worse then just having it. Ray7694, are you using a triphasil type? Gymnbomb, did you experience breakthrough bleeding or extra cramps by skipping?

I did not have extra cramps or breakthrough bleeding, and I did it for several months at a time for a couple of years. Then I switched to a different kind of pill that was better suited for taking continuously, but never had any problems. I haven’t been on the pill since before we started TTC the first time, but I just got a prescription even though DH got a vasectomy because we are going away just the 2 of us for a week this summer and I don’t want to have my period then!

wendibird22
12-15-2018, 03:54 PM
Funny that you posted it because I was thinking of doing the same just went on bcp after discussing my heavy periods with my obgyn. But mine is not a tri-phase, mine are the same dose for all three weeks. I’m planning to just skip the placebo week. We will be in Disney the two days my period is wicked heavy (empty my diva every 1-2hr) which just isn’t conducive to waiting in lines for rides on the busiest days of the year. I’d rather have break through bleeding of spotting that have to find a bathroom after every ride.

ray7694
12-15-2018, 06:39 PM
I am on triphasil like one that progresses.

zukeypur
12-15-2018, 09:32 PM
I have done it on both kinds of pills with no problems. I did it until I got the mirena.

bnme
12-15-2018, 11:14 PM
I think I’m going to try. Thanks for the input.

Dayzy
12-15-2018, 11:28 PM
I did that on Orthos Tri Cyclen three times and twice it worked wonderfully. The third time we were away and I forgot on day 3 to take the pill until later in the evening and by the time I got to it around 11 pm my period had started.