PDA

View Full Version : Help me with essential oils!

Green_Tea
12-16-2018, 11:45 AM
I know many of you are users of EOs. I have recently become more interested in them because they really seem to help my son with some of his anxiety issues, and are especially helpful for him at bedtime.

I started out with a few DoTerra oils I had from an impulse purchase last year. DoTerra is crazy expensive though, so I made some purchases with Plant Therapy, which seems to be a reputable company based on what I have read here.

Some questions:

Which blends do people like, especially for relaxation and unwinding? I ordered a few from PT, and they all seem to have a sharp, bitter smell that really bothers me. I'm not sure what component it is that they have in common that I don't like, but I suspect it's either patchouli or sandalwood.

Are there other brands that are worth checking out?

Do you find that your diffuser retains the smells? I am basically planning to pitch the diffuser I was using in my room because I can't seem to eliminate the smells that bother me, even when I clean it thoroughly and swab it down with rubbing alcohol.

I'll take any tips, tricks, or advice!

mom2binsd
12-16-2018, 11:57 AM
I have to say, I borrowed my neighbors doterra oil, it was lemongrass, I used 4 drops in new my diffuser and it lasted forever. I ordered from plant therapy based on this board and I've found the plant therapy one is way less potent, I even added 8 drops the second time to see if it would be similar. Anyone else find this? The price difference is huge between them and I don't like mlm companies either, but.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jam224
12-19-2018, 12:14 AM
I highly recommend checking out EOs from Eden's Garden! They're a great company with authentic EOs and shipping is free. They also have a great kids line, which takes the guesswork out of which EOs are safe for children. Here's the page for that: https://www.edensgarden.com/collections/ok-for-kids. I haven't tried a lot of their blends, but I really like their kid-safe "Bee Happy" blend.

I haven't used my diffuser a lot, so I don't know if it retains smells. Even so, I only diffuse a small amount at a time and clean it out right away afterward.

There's a great Facebook group called Safe Use of Edens Garden Essential Oils (SUEGEO), if you want to explore and troubleshoot your questions further.

RedSuedeShoes
12-19-2018, 01:22 AM
I highly recommend checking out EOs from Eden's Garden! They're a great company with authentic EOs and shipping is free. They also have a great kids line, which takes the guesswork out of which EOs are safe for children. Here's the page for that: https://www.edensgarden.com/collections/ok-for-kids. I haven't tried a lot of their blends, but I really like their kid-safe "Bee Happy" blend.

I haven't used my diffuser a lot, so I don't know if it retains smells. Even so, I only diffuse a small amount at a time and clean it out right away afterward.

There's a great Facebook group called Safe Use of Edens Garden Essential Oils (SUEGEO), if you want to explore and troubleshoot your questions further.

I agree with Edens Garden. I also like Mountain Rose Herbs but theirs tend to be more expensive.

azzeps
12-20-2018, 11:43 AM
I use doTerra's Serenity blend at bedtime and I love it. It really helps me. Also, they have a new line of kids stuff, blends in roller bottles, I think... I have yet to try it though. I don't sell doTerra, but I joined so that I could get the cheaper pricing.

marymoo86
12-20-2018, 03:13 PM
Something to keep in mind - no EO is going to be the same between companies. Plant material will vary greatly (Species, Origin, growing method, etc) and no way to really standardize a smell even within the same brand unless you buy from the same production lot.

I stay away from blends b/c of there's usually one oil I don't care for in them. I prefer to make my own but know it is much more handy to have a blend on hand if it works. I generally will keep sniffle stopper or germ fighter around from PT for seasonal stuff. Some folks are also just more sensitive to certain scents.

Several FB groups - Essential Oils, Herbs, and Homepathy, Safe Essential Oil Recipes are helpful. I stick to nonbranded ones.

Melaine
12-22-2018, 02:57 PM
I love plant therapy relax and it is kid safe. I use it every single day!

calebsmama03
12-23-2018, 01:28 AM
I have PT's Calming the Child blend that we like but, like Marymoo said, I find that most blends have something I don't care for so I stick with singles more often. I have a bunch of blends I purchased before I made that discovery and I do still use them but less often. The few blends I buy regularly are germ fighter (PT version of Thieves/onguard) and respiraid (PT version of Breathe) but I add extra peppermint to it because the eucalyptus scent is overpowering to me. I've never found PT oils to be "weaker" than DT or YL. As said above, it's a natural substance so will have variability from batch to batch and season to season.