PDA

View Full Version : Is the Apple Pencil worth it? also ipad $229 right now

WatchingThemGrow
12-19-2018, 08:09 AM
pricematched my target ipad with Amazon and Walmart's price of $229 over the phone just now. yay for a refund of $20!

Does anyone have the Apple Pencil and what does one do with it? We have a DS (9) who has taken OT and has an IEP for his writing issues. Wondering how people use them...

NCGrandma
12-19-2018, 11:45 AM
Which model iPad did you buy? In the past, the Apple Pencil only worked with the higher end iPad Pro, and it was definitely marketed to artists who would use it with graphics apps like the interestingly-named Procreate.

According to the Apple website, the Pencil can be used with the latest version of the regular iPad (looks like it's called generation 6). However, my guess is that some of the good holiday sales on iPads are for the previous generation. But if yours specifically says "compatible with Apple Pencil," you probably have the newest model.

My children’s-book-illustrator DIL has been using the Pencil/iPad Pro combo since those first came out, and has generally liked them but they replaced the professional drawing tablets she previously used.

Unless an OT specifically recommends the Apple Pencil for your DS, with specific apps that are designed to work with it, I think there are probably better ways you can spend the $99 cost of the Pencil plus cost of the apps.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

WatchingThemGrow
12-19-2018, 03:59 PM
It’s the latest iPad, so def. compatible. I just wondered if there are cool things a family can do with them, like designing a landscape plan for our yard. I haven’t really looked into them but we will have a new iPad shortly and wondered...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCGrandma
12-19-2018, 04:57 PM
It’s the latest iPad, so def. compatible. I just wondered if there are cool things a family can do with them, like designing a landscape plan for our yard. I haven’t really looked into them but we will have a new iPad shortly and wondered...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I misunderstood—thought you wanted to use it specifically for DS to work on handwriting etc.

I just looked at the App Store and a search for "Apple Pencil apps" turns up a number of possibilities, some free, others rather pricey. I assume these are specifically designed to take advantage of the Pencil, and many are targeted to artists or budding artists. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can tell us how easily the Pencil can be used with other apps, and whether it’s better than a good stylus.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

JBaxter
12-19-2018, 05:25 PM
I know for sure the pencil works on the 9.7 in 6 generation iPad my son in grad school uses his a lot Ds 3 uses a pencil with his Microsoft surface pro

dhano923
12-19-2018, 10:08 PM
I have the Apple pencil. Got it for Christmas last year. Used it quite a bit when I got it, but not so much now. I use it for notes, coloring, and drawing.