PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 4 - what else do I need?

KrisM
12-19-2018, 09:24 AM
DS2 is getting the PS4 and it occurred to me this morning that maybe I need more than what's in the box and a couple games. It comes with 1 controller. Is that good? If not, what do I get? Anything else that I need to make this useable on Christmas day?

lil_acorn
12-19-2018, 09:33 AM
I would get one extra controller. Also would recommend to buy the PS4 plus subscription so he can play with friends online. A headset is also a nice addition so you don't have to hear the other side of the conversation!

Mikey0709
12-19-2018, 09:38 AM
Yes - a headset if going to play online w/friends.... which MOST playstation games do. Official playstation ones can be $$$ ($60-100)... but know that you can start out with one in the $15-20 range. We have been using a $20 one from gamestop for the past year, but are upgrading for this Christmas.

KrisM
12-19-2018, 10:12 AM
Sounds like the headset and subscription are optional at this point? I don't know if his friends have a PS4. He tells me most do not have a game system, or have an older one.

Wow on the controller! $60! I wish I had thought of this when I had 20% off coupons! I'll see if I can find a deal on one. If not, it might have to wait a bit.

lil_acorn
12-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Sounds like the headset and subscription are optional at this point? I don't know if his friends have a PS4. He tells me most do not have a game system, or have an older one.

Wow on the controller! $60! I wish I had thought of this when I had 20% off coupons! I'll see if I can find a deal on one. If not, it might have to wait a bit.

You should be able to get one for $40 on sale. I would hold off.
Yes, he won't need the headset or subscription if none of his friends are online. We bought the game system based on which friends had what. For example, most of my 14 year old's friends have a ps4 so he has that, but my 11 year old has an xbox as his friends had that gaming system. And the platforms can't be crossed to play online.

khm
12-19-2018, 12:58 PM
My son just uses a headset that has the phone speaker (like your iPhone earbuds). It isn't a "gaming headset", but it works fine.

We also got him a charger stand thing for the controllers.

SnuggleBuggles
12-19-2018, 02:01 PM
Extra controllers make great gift ideas for extended family that has no idea what to buy, in my experience. :) I don't think we've ever had to buy our own extras- I always just suggest them to others. Could that work? :)

KrisM
12-19-2018, 02:11 PM
You should be able to get one for $40 on sale. I would hold off.
Yes, he won't need the headset or subscription if none of his friends are online. We bought the game system based on which friends had what. For example, most of my 14 year old's friends have a ps4 so he has that, but my 11 year old has an xbox as his friends had that gaming system. And the platforms can't be crossed to play online.

One friend has a PS3. The other 3 or 4 that he usually hangs out with don't have any system or an older Wii or maybe WiiU.

Extra controllers make great gift ideas for extended family that has no idea what to buy, in my experience. :) I don't think we've ever had to buy our own extras- I always just suggest them to others. Could that work? :)

We do our extended family on CHristmas Eve. I like it, but it sure makes things like this hard! They aren't going to gift the PS4, but gifting a controller to a system we don't own doesn't work either. So many times, I wished we did things in the opposite order.