PDA

View Full Version : Setting up iPads for the kids...

azzeps
12-20-2018, 11:31 AM
Hello wise people of the bulletin board!

I need some tips on setting up iPads for the kids... They are getting them from Santa this year. Kids are 10 and 7. I'm most interested in the parental controls and limiting screen time (I know, I know.... then why are we giving them more screens??? It was DH's idea!!!). My daughter is my reader.... she also has an old Kindle and piles and piles of books. She likes to draw and they are getting some kind of "crayons" to go with these iPads. My son likes Minecraft and YouTube... Any suggestions for Apps? How can I lock down these iPads? Do you all have some "house rules" for iPads/tablets/devices that work well for your family? Any and all advice is most appreciated. I'm trying to think through and anticipate some of the challenges we will now face with both kids having their own devices now.

Thanks!!

lil_acorn
12-20-2018, 11:40 AM
I would recommend to set them up with icloud accounts and designate them as children. You can then choose the setting where they can't download any new apps without your approval (it will send you a notice on your phone). this will avoid any inappropriate downloads or inappropriate spending on downloads that cost money! We have wifi through our cable company (xfinity) that allows us to turn their wifi on and off --at night or when they misbehave ;-)

You can also add them to your "familY" so that any purchases made by one user can then be shared with someone else - useful for any apps that cost $

123LuckyMom
12-20-2018, 11:46 AM
In ios12 I think there are limits you can set, but I use a third party app called OurPact. I pay $5/mo. for the premium version, but I think it’s really worth it. You can set a schedule for the iPad to be completely off or completely on in the basic version, but the paid version allows you to decide which apps stay on and which go off and when. Also, there’s an allowance feature so you can give your kids a certain amount of time each day, and they can use it whenever they like within the schedule you’ve set. Honestly, I can’t recommend it enough. It really allows you to customize everything, and I’ve found that letting the schedule control the iPad significantly decreases arguments and begging.

You’ll want to give each of your kids their own appleIDs. Then they’ll get their own iCloud storage, and you can use family sharing so they can share apps and the like that you’ve paid for previously. MAKE SURE YOU MAKE THEM ADULTS FOR FAMILY SHARING!!! DO NOT ADD ANY “CHILDREN!” If you make them children, you can never delete them, and it causes all sorts of problems. Learn from my pain!

If you have any specific questions, post them, and I’ll try to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

DualvansMommy
12-20-2018, 11:58 AM
Parents of DS1’s friends with older siblings like using ourpact app.

I just set up each kid of mine with their own iCloud account and link them with a shared family plan. This way they can’t download anything without my knowing. if it’s something they want to download, permission will be send to my device to download or not directly onto their iPads.

Since ios12 update, I find their screen limit controls is very helpful. I don’t need anything beyond that as they don’t use it a lot.

Our another rule is iPads is only kept in the family living spaces. Never their bedrooms.

Hopefully other pp with older kids can chime in with more useful tips for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wendibird22
12-20-2018, 12:30 PM
In addition to the above we have Circle which allows us to set a host of parental controls such as time limits.

lizzywednesday
12-20-2018, 12:47 PM
I had been experimenting with the "accessibility options" on older iOS versions to set time limits on various apps/games DD enjoys playing; I think that I got the tip on the Slate Parenting FB group.

My kiddo is 8; she likes MineCraft, TocaBoca Hair Salon 3, Sweet Empire, Unicorn 3D paint, and Disney NOW. We also have Netflix (she has her own profile) and Movies Anywhere.

I think we also had a couple of games we saw at the Apple store, but I don't remember - her attitude can be less than acceptable if she has too much tablet time.

connor_mommy
12-20-2018, 07:35 PM
You could also set up a passcode so they can't use the iPad unless you unlock it for them.

mmsmom
12-21-2018, 08:51 AM
We have family sharing set up and restrictions so they need permission for new apps and in-app purchases turned off. You can also specify content ratings by age group though I am not sure how effective it is.

Our rules...
No iPads on school mornings
No iPads on weekends before 9am (they were waking up really early to be on them prior to this rule)
iPads must stay downstairs ( they can take to their rooms for FaceTime with friends mainly bc I don’t want to hear those conversations)
iPads can not leave the house (except for trips)

azzeps
12-22-2018, 02:20 PM
Thank you so much for all the tips!

Good rules, mmsmom! Especially the 9am limit!! Right now we are having 4:30 am weekend wake ups just to get on the tv and computer! :( Looking for a way to lock the tv down until at least 6:00 am. Sigh. I'm going to need a nap today.

essnce629
12-22-2018, 04:08 PM
We have family sharing set up and restrictions so they need permission for new apps and in-app purchases turned off. You can also specify content ratings by age group though I am not sure how effective it is.

Our rules...
No iPads on school mornings
No iPads on weekends before 9am (they were waking up really early to be on them prior to this rule)
iPads must stay downstairs ( they can take to their rooms for FaceTime with friends mainly bc I don’t want to hear those conversations)
iPads can not leave the house (except for trips)Sounds like my screen time rules for my DS2.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Mommy_Mea
12-22-2018, 05:29 PM
Our rules are no screen time before school, chores and homework must be done. On weekends they need to be dressed and have had breakfast. They are limited to 30 minutes. In general the kids need to stay in their rooms until 6am, so the mad dash to screen time doesn't start until after then on the weekends :)

RiverRat
12-22-2018, 06:06 PM
Thank you so much for all the tips!

Good rules, mmsmom! Especially the 9am limit!! Right now we are having 4:30 am weekend wake ups just to get on the tv and computer! :( Looking for a way to lock the tv down until at least 6:00 am. Sigh. I'm going to need a nap today.

Take the power cord with you. That’s what I had to do today. So Much Fighting!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)