PDA

View Full Version : Watch the Christmas Chronicles movie!

mom2binsd
12-23-2018, 01:38 AM
DD 15 and I just finished watching it. It's soooo good and it takes a really good movie to make me smile, laugh and cry! So creative and just a wonderful movie! My kids are 12 and 15, but I think even good for younger ones, as it never once talks directly about Santa not being real.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jbbhb
12-23-2018, 05:08 AM
We watched this last weekend and we all loved it (my kids are younger- 8,6,4).

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
12-23-2018, 10:31 AM
I agree! I recommended to all my friends after we watched it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niccig
12-23-2018, 11:15 AM
Thanks. I was looking for a movie to watch with DS

PZMommy
12-23-2018, 12:51 PM
My 7 and 9 year old really enjoyed it, as did I.

AngB
12-23-2018, 04:04 PM
My kids all I liked it (7, 6, and 3) and I think DH did also. Damn pregnancy hormones had me crying several times but yes, it was very good!

petesgirl
12-23-2018, 04:08 PM
This is on Netflix right? I think I've seen it and just passed over it. Thanks for the rec.

AngB
12-23-2018, 04:11 PM
This is on Netflix right? I think I've seen it and just passed over it. Thanks for the rec.

Yep, it's a Netflix-produced movie.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-24-2018, 10:15 AM
I agree it is awesome and great family movie! My kids are almost 9 and 7.5 and they have seen it several times already.

Though the whole Kurt Russell as Santa thing makes me feel so OLD 😂 lol!

elbenn
12-24-2018, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the recommendation! We watched it last night and really enjoyed it. I probably wouldn't have watched it without this thread recommending it.

TwinFoxes
12-25-2018, 05:53 PM
Came here just to say thank you for the recommendation. It was really cute. It's amazing the special effects even a (I'm assuming) low-budget movie can have these days. I really liked the elves!

niccig
12-25-2018, 11:59 PM
DS said it’s the best Christmas movie he’s seen. We all enjoyed it.

bisous
12-27-2018, 09:00 PM
Just tried to watch this with my family and unfortunately there is just way too much inappropriate content. Just putting this out there in case anyone else tries it with their young children. I’d watch it with DS1 and DS2 (15 and 11). I really wish they didn’t add stuff like that!!

SnuggleBuggles
12-27-2018, 09:07 PM
Just tried to watch this with my family and unfortunately there is just way too much inappropriate content. Just putting this out there in case anyone else tries it with their young children. I’d watch it with DS1 and DS2 (15 and 11). I really wish they didn’t add stuff like that!!

????
I guess the majority of us didn’t find it inappropriate let alone too much. What upset you (assuming no spoilers)?

bisous
12-27-2018, 09:11 PM
????
I guess the majority of us didn’t find it inappropriate let alone too much. What upset you (assuming no spoilers)?

Mostly language! The kid almost used the s word. And talked about watching rated R movies. It was weird because she was not very old. We didn’t watch more than about 15 minutes. It just made me uncomfortable for my littles. I’d feel differently watching it with my older kids. I really, really dislike swearing.

RiverRat
12-27-2018, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the recommendation on this! It was so good. Dds (7 & 9) thought it was great too. I hope it stays on Netflix for next Christmas.

mom2binsd
12-27-2018, 10:22 PM
Mostly language! The kid almost used the s word. And talked about watching rated R movies. It was weird because she was not very old. We didn’t watch more than about 15 minutes. It just made me uncomfortable for my littles. I’d feel differently watching it with my older kids. I really, really dislike swearing.I realize my kids are older, but honestly the words used in the movie are nothing compared to what you would hear on any elementary school playground. I know that each family has different standards but I've heard from parents of kids who are 6 to 10 who didn't mention any concerns.

The 10 year old mentioned they could watch a pg 13 movie or even a r movie as their mom was away but most kids usually try to do that, it wasn't like they watched 9 1/2 weeks.

I'm sorry you were offended.

SASM
12-28-2018, 12:09 AM
Thank you so much for the recommendation! Watched it with 11, 13, & 15yo...we really enjoyed it. A lot of the topics really hit home for us. Really clever and interesting take on Santa, elves, bag, etc too. Loved how it was a Russell/Hawn family thing - at least 4 members of their family were in it and several of their grandchildren’s names were mentioned as well...very cool! Definitely one of the best low-budget Hallmark-ish movies that I’ve seen in a while!!

In regards to the swearing etc, I totally get how some would be sensitive with younger children. I would have been bothered by it a few years ago, too. My 11yo is still extremely sensitive to swearing, not following rules, mean behavior, etc. She was fine with this movie. Sadly, I do agree that kids are exposed to this language by their peers in elementary school and on buses.

ang79
12-28-2018, 12:20 AM
Mostly language! The kid almost used the s word. And talked about watching rated R movies. It was weird because she was not very old. We didn’t watch more than about 15 minutes. It just made me uncomfortable for my littles. I’d feel differently watching it with my older kids. I really, really dislike swearing.

I totally understand, I don't even like swearing in grown up movies! My kids are 10 and 12 but I cringed hearing those words in front of them (and told them that we don't ever say those words!). My 12 yr. old is a very follow the rules type of kid and the whole stealing the car and when he sang in jail made her give me a raised eyebrow while watching it. The kids did like the elves though!

bisous
12-28-2018, 02:07 AM
I realize my kids are older, but honestly the words used in the movie are nothing compared to what you would hear on any elementary school playground. I know that each family has different standards but I've heard from parents of kids who are 6 to 10 who didn't mention any concerns.

The 10 year old mentioned they could watch a pg 13 movie or even a r movie as their mom was away but most kids usually try to do that, it wasn't like they watched 9 1/2 weeks.

I'm sorry you were offended.

Oh please don’t apologize! I intend to watch it but just with a different audience. I added this as just a warning to others who might want to watch the show to make sure they’re aware.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-28-2018, 01:14 PM
It is Rated PG. if you do not want any remote reference to swearing etc you probably have to stick with G rated movies only (and make sure this is known to all other parents). For me PG is fine for my 7 and 8yos and I would have assumed it would be for other kids same age given the content (family Christmas movie, there is no nudity or sex scenes or violence). We Dropped my kids off at a parents night out last week (for 3 to 8yos) and they were watching it , and the teachers were telling me that DS had suggested the movie and all the other kids wanted to watch it and how it was great.

I think this is one of those rare Christmas movies that most kids actually want to see (vs “it’s a wonderful life,” which my kids would have snoozed through) and that parents can enjoy too.

The stealing cars thing , the mean teen attitude coming from the boy I took as a teaching moment for my dc to say how sometimes teens do/say bad things because they are very sad, confused , upset and in this case the boy had grief and feelings of abandonment . I try to make a point to my kids they have had the privilege of not being in a lot of bad circumstances etc and to not label people as bad etc.

AnnieW625
12-28-2018, 02:23 PM
We watched it on Christmas Day and loved it. We like Kurt Russell and both my kids (12, and 8) have seen Guardians 2, Miracle, and Big Trouble in Little China multiple times so maybe we are a little lax, but overall it was a great movie and thanks for the suggestion.

liz
12-29-2018, 11:43 AM
We watched it Christmas night. I agree with PP about language, occasional "you suck" "what the hell" kind of language. It stuck out to me, but it was only a few instances. The movie was nice but I still wish we watched Disney's Coco instead, but i was outvoted.

magnoliaparadise
12-29-2018, 11:15 PM
We liked it a lot, but I didn't get the whole 'the Santa hat is really not necessary in the end anyway and Santa could have done his magic the whole movie without it it turns out'. Did I miss something? I don't understand why they needed to put that in. If Santa could have gotten out of his bad situation without his hat all that time, why didn't he do it (ie get out of jail, etc)?

mikala
12-30-2018, 12:55 AM
We liked it a lot, but I didn't get the whole 'the Santa hat is really not necessary in the end anyway and Santa could have done his magic the whole movie without it it turns out'. Did I miss something? I don't understand why they needed to put that in. If Santa could have gotten out of his bad situation without his hat all that time, why didn't he do it (ie get out of jail, etc)?That was the point of it- Santa was teaching the son a lesson the whole time and could have stopped the charade and resumed Christmas at any time.

magnoliaparadise
12-30-2018, 06:01 AM
That was the point of it- Santa was teaching the son a lesson the whole time and could have stopped the charade and resumed Christmas at any time.

I guess I understand, but... you know those movies where you watch the whole thing and then in the end the character wakes up and you realize it was a dream after all (that kind of movie is on less often now, but I feel like I watched many like that when I was a kid, or at least remember the few I watched). That was the feeling that I got when realizing that Santa had been able to stop the charade the whole time. I still liked the movie a lot, though.

I love that kid actress by the way - Darby Camp. She is in a lot of things now.

TwinFoxes
12-30-2018, 09:27 AM
We liked it a lot, but I didn't get the whole 'the Santa hat is really not necessary in the end anyway and Santa could have done his magic the whole movie without it it turns out'. Did I miss something?

Santa did it to help the son. If they hadn’t gone through all of that the son wouldn’t see the path he was headed down, (the thugs and crooks) and he wouldn’t have gotten close with his mom and sister.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-30-2018, 09:56 AM
Santa did it to help the son. If they hadn’t gone through all of that the son wouldn’t see the path he was headed down, (the thugs and crooks) and he wouldn’t have gotten close with his mom and sister.
:yeahthat:
he did it to make the son believe in himself.

As a parent and at work too I’ve realized the biggest motivating factor is making people feel like they are actually contributing to something important (vs. Just telling them should do x, y,z). So Santa made it seem like the son had to do all this (seemingly impossible stuff) to save the day. The boy did things he never thought he was capable of doing which gave him confidence etc

magnoliaparadise
12-31-2018, 06:24 AM
:yeahthat:
he did it to make the son believe in himself.

As a parent and at work too I’ve realized the biggest motivating factor is making people feel like they are actually contributing to something important (vs. Just telling them should do x, y,z). So Santa made it seem like the son had to do all this (seemingly impossible stuff) to save the day. The boy did things he never thought he was capable of doing which gave him confidence etc

This makes sense. OK, I understand it now!

scrooks
12-31-2018, 08:40 AM
We watched it and liked it. I actually didn’t notice the language but was more concerned about my 5 year old hearing about people that don’t believe (even if Santa was starring in the movie). The same with the Polar Express. He is reallly into the magic of Christmas and these movies, hint on the edges, that people stop believing in it.