PDA

View Full Version : What to get at Aldi's?

ett
12-27-2018, 02:41 PM
I'm making my first trip to Aldi's tomorrow. Any suggestions for what to get? I only recently realized there's a store 45 minutes from my house.

Thanks!

Dayzy
12-27-2018, 02:52 PM
I go to Aldi a lot to see what they have before my weekly shopping, but I wouldn't drive 45 minutes to get to one. Mine is 10 minutes away. I'd get milk, some produce, now and then they have shelf staples I need.

SnuggleBuggles
12-27-2018, 03:17 PM
Baking supplies like baking powder/ soda and organic sugars. They had great gift tags this year so see what holiday stuff is left over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwinFoxes
12-27-2018, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't drive 45 minutes to an Aldi's, FYI. They've got good deals on cheese, Kerrygold butter, meats like salami, prosciutto etc; also great deals on nuts, especially macadamias. I don't think I've ever seen macadamia nuts that cheap before. It's not Trader Joe's with lots of delicious unusual products. I would drive 45 minutes to TJs if it were necessary.

ett
12-27-2018, 03:27 PM
Oh, I wouldn't be making the trip there regularly. I've just never been to one and I frequently see people mention it on here so thought I would just check it out. My sister got the kids these Advent Cheese calendars from there that they really liked. (And it's to give me a little break from being with the kids all vacation week! :) )

trcy
12-27-2018, 03:57 PM
I go there for most of my staples because they have good prices. I wouldn't drive 45 minutes to get there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

AngB
12-27-2018, 05:45 PM
I just went to Aldi today.

I got a 7.99 nice planner for 2019.
We get staples there...milk, eggs, bread, cereal, peanut butter, crackers, chips, snacks, produce, etc. Their chocolate sea salt caramels are amazing.

Zansu
12-27-2018, 05:46 PM
BIL bought a fantastic beef tenderloin there that was better tasting than Costco's prime meat.

ged
12-27-2018, 06:13 PM
I like to check out their non-grocery merchandise specials. Picked up some great pajamas (thermal and fleece) the other week. Got a great laundry rack from there awhile back. A few German specialties are good - like their butterkase and brats/sausages.

AngB
12-27-2018, 06:24 PM
I like to check out their non-grocery merchandise specials. Picked up some great pajamas (thermal and fleece) the other week. Got a great laundry rack from there awhile back. A few German specialties are good - like their butterkase and brats/sausages.

I bought a set of pj'sthat I love from Aldi, they are super soft and relatively cute. And I got the kids' matching Christmas, fleece pj's from there (I think they were like $4 each or something ridiculously cheap, and good quality.My 6 yo has worn them and they've been washed 4 or 5 times and still are like new.)

The weekly special finds are in their ads online and I always try to keep an eye on them because they end up having a lot of random stuff that ends up being awesome for us...kids' snow boots for I believe 9.99 back in Oct. , I got DS1 a massaging foot warmer that he has ended up loving for 16.99 a couple weeks ago (comparable ones at Kohl's etc. were all $50+.) I probably spend more money now that I keep an eye out for the ad but it also ultimately saves us money, I'd like to think. (We were totally contemplating which $50+ foot warmer to buy DS1 because I am fed up with him taking off the floor registers and shoving his feet down them through the winter :6: so finding it there was a huge win.)

elephantmeg
12-27-2018, 06:25 PM
we have a small one in our town. They had this chocolate bread in their bakery that was amazing. It was something like this but I'm not sure that was the name:
https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/povitica_92623

candaceb
12-27-2018, 06:46 PM
Adding to the chorus that I wouldn't drive that far for Aldi - things like the cheese advent calendar are rare. I shop there regularly and get a lot of staples there because it's cheaper than anywhere else. Somethings out of the usual list: chicken breakfast sausage, turkey italian sausage, mini avocados (same as Trader Joe's and maybe a bit cheaper), random fruits and vegetables that are on special - like a whole basket of kiwis for $3, greek yogurt, "never any" lunch meat packs.

belovedgandp
12-27-2018, 08:53 PM
It's my stop when I can't make Costco. But the parking lot stresses me out and it's only 2.5 miles from my house not 45 minutes.

I do regularly buy milk, eggs, english muffins.

jawilli4
12-27-2018, 09:28 PM
I’m not much help as I have only gone twice but make sure you have a quarter for a cart and to bring your own grocery bags. You can also grab empty boxes in the store if you forget bags as a fallback. Otherwise, you can buy bags at the register.

ourbabygirl
12-27-2018, 09:59 PM
I would (and do regularly) drive 20 minutes to get to an Aldi, but probably not 45 minutes. However, I do love Aldi and go there at least once a week to get almost all of our groceries (I fill in with Target or a local store, but even though it's about 5 minutes away, the prices are much higher). I don't get many non-grocery items, though, other than plants/ flowers.
There are certain things I like better, but not many. I love the prices, but can't really compare it to Costco because we don't belong to Costco because the shopping experience is such a hassle and the parking lot is so crowded.

jennilynn
12-27-2018, 10:41 PM
We’ve been enjoying their organic strawberry watermelon juice lately. I think it’s seasonal (not sure why in the winter?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ang79
12-27-2018, 11:32 PM
I do the bulk of my grocery shopping between Aldi's and Sam's Club. At Aldi I usually buy fresh produce, milk, OJ, some meats, greek yogurt, snacks for the kids like pretzels, rice cakes, and crackers, cereal and oatmeal for DH and kids, real maple syrup, baking staples, k-cups, 100% juice, cheese, deli ham, apple cider. I enjoy checking out the seasonal food and non-food items. Have gotten lots of household organizers. Christmas gift bags and name tags were a great deal this year. Also got some light up reindeer for our yard that the kids were excited about :)