PDA

View Full Version : Marie Kondo on Netflix

KrisM
01-05-2019, 12:06 AM
Remember the KonMari method of decluttering? Well, there is a Netflix show with her going to people's houses to help them declutter. I'm watching the first one now. It's "Tidying up with Marie Kondo". There are 8 episodes. I can't wait to see how it goes!

Neatfreak
01-05-2019, 05:14 AM
I've watched two episodes and have now re-folded every t-shirt I own into a neat little rectangle. My drawer makes me happy. Or gives me joy LOL!

KrisM
01-05-2019, 07:32 AM
That's great! I did finish the first episode. I liked seeing how it all looked when it was done. Gives me hope.

DD's drawers have things folded like that. It does help her find what she wants. Most of my shirts are hanging.

mikala
01-05-2019, 09:40 AM
I watched the first one and am curious what others thought of the way the couple interacted. It seemed like the mom might have depression or anxiety, one of the kids might have special needs and the dad was just not helping. "Hey babe, look how hot you were on our wedding day"...uhhhh, were? Are future episodes less reality show cringeworthy?

athompson
01-06-2019, 12:32 PM
I watched the first one and am curious what others thought of the way the couple interacted. It seemed like the mom might have depression or anxiety, one of the kids might have special needs and the dad was just not helping. "Hey babe, look how hot you were on our wedding day"...uhhhh, were? Are future episodes less reality show cringeworthy?

I cringed throughout that episode, but I was dying laughing also...especially when Marie was carefully folding the shirt that said "#squadgoals":ROTFLMAO:

baymom
01-06-2019, 04:25 PM
I just watched two episodes that I really enjoyed. The family in LA that had downsized from a 4 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom apartment and the woman who’s husband of 40 years had died. I’m looking forward to watching a few more.

jbbhb
01-06-2019, 08:06 PM
I’m in bed sick and just binged watched 5 episodes. The first couple was definitely cringeworthy and i also giggled at the #squadgoals shirt folding. The rest of the episodes were so much more enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

jerseygirl07067
01-09-2019, 12:04 AM
I have watched all 8 episodes! I totally love her method and read her book a few years ago and followed a lot of it. Of all of the episodes the first one was my least favorite so if you didn't like it keep watching, you'll enjoy the others. :)

I seriously love to declutter and organize, and DH thinks I'm a dork for watching this series. ��

essnce629
01-09-2019, 03:10 AM
I watched the first episode on Sunday and was immediately inspired to throw all of DS2's clothes in the middle of the room and have him take 3 minutes to pick those that brought him joy. Needless to say, we now have 30 shirts/hoodies in the giveaway bag! I'm pretty good at decluttering on a regular basis and most of the stuff in our house has a home and I had already gone through all my clothes just a month ago, but there's definitely some drawers I can tackle and some paper piles! I told DS1 about the show on Sunday and he said no way was he watching it! Then I put it on and he sat through the first 2 episodes! And now I had to promise not to watch any more without him! We watched another episode tonight.

The first couple was a little cringe worthy, but I also think that they were pretty typical of an exhausted couple with 2 really young children! Why did you think 1 child was special needs? Their 2 year old DD was nursing throughout every shot which I thought was amazing! Maybe you didn't catch that she was nursing and instead just thought she was burying herself into her mom at all times? Way to normalize toddler breastfeeding was what I was thinking!

♥ms.pacman♥
01-12-2019, 08:42 PM
DH and I Just watched first two episodes. The couple in the first one made want to heave. the guy was such an ass and it was obvious he resented his wife for not doing more, and had no idea how hard it is to stay and home and take care of kids and keep things clean. The wife was rather neurotic and annoying.

The second episode , with the older Japanese-American couple, was a thousand times better, and actually made me cry towards the end .i like the idea of uncovering sentimental things underneath all the clutter and making it a team effort.

I’m so glad I read this thread before watching - I would have stopped watching after first episode !! So glad the remaining episodes are betterz

KrisM
01-12-2019, 09:39 PM
I've only watched the first couple so far, but will watch the rest. I need to work on it, but I feel like the time to do each thing is more than I have most days. I need to dedicate a day or two a week to declutter. Just need to do it.

TwinFoxes
01-12-2019, 10:56 PM
I enjoyed it. I thought the DH in the first episode was kind of a jerk, but he also was probably overworked since he said he works over 60 hours a week. I thought the first gay couple was cute but also the least compelling of all the stories. Probably because "parents visiting" wasn't as compelling as "moving on from dead spouse". The family who had just moved to LA were really sweet. And the one scene when the woman continued meditating after Marie Kondo had greeted the house was pretty funny. Her wife's expression was funny.

mikala
01-13-2019, 11:49 AM
The first couple was a little cringe worthy, but I also think that they were pretty typical of an exhausted couple with 2 really young children! Why did you think 1 child was special needs? Their 2 year old DD was nursing throughout every shot which I thought was amazing! Maybe you didn't catch that she was nursing and instead just thought she was burying herself into her mom at all times? Way to normalize toddler breastfeeding was what I was thinking!

It was the older child. Something just rang bells for me based on my own experiences. I later glanced at her Twitter posts and she mentioned special needs there too.

theriviera
01-13-2019, 03:23 PM
DH and I Just watched first two episodes. The couple in the first one made want to heave. the guy was such an ass and it was obvious he resented his wife for not doing more, and had no idea how hard it is to stay and home and take care of kids and keep things clean. The wife was rather neurotic and annoying.

The second episode , with the older Japanese-American couple, was a thousand times better, and actually made me cry towards the end .i like the idea of uncovering sentimental things underneath all the clutter and making it a team effort.

I’m so glad I read this thread before watching - I would have stopped watching after first episode !! So glad the remaining episodes are betterz

I agree with everything written here!

KrisM
01-14-2019, 12:59 PM
I was going to try her method of going by item, but after taking my clothes out of our closet, I did not want to put them back in a cluttered closet, so I ended up taking most things out of it and am sorting through. I feel I'm making good progress and see quite an improvement already. I hope to get the dresser of clothes done today as well.

Most times I wish our master closet was bigger, but maybe it's plenty big! So much came out of it and I left all of DH's clothes and some bins on a shelf in there! It's long and skinny, which I struggle with. Maybe this will be the time that it stays neat. I left the bins because I know what's in them and figure I can do them by category later.

smiles33
01-17-2019, 01:29 AM
I watched all 8 episodes and really appreciated Marie's philosophy of only keeping items you enjoy/spark joy. I had previously clung to items because I knew I paid good money for them or I hoped to lose 20 pounds to wear them again (unlikely given how much I love to eat!), etc. It felt good to have the freedom to say, "Thank you" to items I had hanging there unworn for a while (some even from pre-kids!) but bid them goodbye so someone else can find joy in them.

Rather than take all my clothes out (since I didn't have enough time to deal with everything at once on my bed), I "portioned" it out by category/space. I found this much more manageable and less intimidating. I started with my underwear drawer (as I don't have underwear all over the house, just in one drawer) and re-folded them the KonMari way. Then I did all my workout clothes, donating some items that are too small now and noting what I need more of. I also went through my closet and pulled out items I've been hanging on to for too long. Not exactly the KonMari way, but more manageable for a busy mom. I hope to tackle more of the closet this weekend.

I have to say, it feels like a real accomplishment to see several bags of clothes in the donation pile. Plus, I love opening a drawer and seeing everything folded vertically so that it's easier to find specific items!

TwinFoxes
01-17-2019, 09:50 AM
I have to say, it feels like a real accomplishment to see several bags of clothes in the donation pile. Plus, I love opening a drawer and seeing everything folded vertically so that it's easier to find specific items!

I'm interested if this works long term. It does look super cool when she does it.

KrisM
01-17-2019, 12:36 PM
I folded things like that a couple days ago for me, but DD's pants have been that way for a while. It works great for her pants. But, my sweaters not so much. When I took one out, the rest sort of slid down a bit. When the 2nd came out, the rest ended up in more of a pile. They aren't sturdy enough to stand when they don't fill the drawer. So, I changed them back to regular folding and stacking.

I like my sock drawer though. It looks great when I open it! But, I found the drawer isn't quite tall enough for half, thirds, etc, so I am rolling them and it seems to work.

theriviera
01-18-2019, 10:23 AM
I'm interested if this works long term. It does look super cool when she does it.

i've had my clothes folded vertically for about a year. it totally works and stays that way. and i'm naturally a disorganized mess.

SnuggleBuggles
01-18-2019, 11:44 AM
My pants have been folded vertically for 2+ years and I love it. All my shirts get hung and I don’t care about any of my other clothes (undies are in drawer bins and separated by type...I’d never take the time to fold those :))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mommy_Mea
01-18-2019, 12:17 PM
i've had my clothes folded vertically for about a year. it totally works and stays that way. and i'm naturally a disorganized mess.This is hopeful to know, because I am just starting and wasn't optimistic that it would sick because my clothes are usually a disaster.

jerseygirl07067
01-18-2019, 12:59 PM
I have a few friends who said they feel just like the mom in the first episode :)

I have actually now been rereading her books, I read them a few years ago but now after watching the Netflix series I am motivated once again. A few years ago I started her process but stopped after clothes, then did some of my books and paper, but never continued. This time I am all in!!! I did clothes, am just finishing up books, then plan on starting papers this weekend. My papers are already very well organized so that shouldn't take too long, I just want to reduce the bulk so I can add in my mom's files, as I am now handling all of her affairs. The biggest thing now as that I am letting a lot of my professional books and notebooks from grad school go. The information is outdated and all of the latest research is online so that is a TON more space freed up!

Komono will take me forever as there is a lot of it, but I am going to stick with it! I feel so much better and I have already made four large donations to the Breast Cancer Pickups. You can schedule online and they pick up from your front porch. Super easy and freeing!

And I LOVE the vertical folding! I am doing it with everything except underwear and wow, what difference. I can see everything I have at a glance, and am wearing shirts that "spark joy" but forgot that I had because they were hidden due to too much stuff.

I even had my 9 y/o go through stuff by making 5 large piles on her floor. She tends to hang on to everything. I simply asked, "what would you like to keep?", rather than "what are you going to get rid of?" and just changing the verbage was amazing. In 10 minutes she made 2 piles, half was keep, half was donate. I almost **** my pants. Then I started folding some of her stuff vertically and she asked to try it. The kicker was when she took it to see if it would stand up and got excited when it did. While my family made fun of me for watching, some of my family members were clearly paying attention!! ;)

niccig
01-19-2019, 06:51 PM
I watched a few episodes and even got DH to watch one. He commented, “We already do all of that” for several strategies she had. He then said, “This show isn’t for librarians”, which I used to be. He did though take in point about cleaning out things that don’t have value, so the things you cherish are maintained and displayed. He tends to keep lots of things then want to buy more book shelves. Over the years, I’ve had him go though things, but it was a battle, so hoping he’s more on board. A friend and he were talking about the show and the friend said he’s less stressed with there is less stuff about. We need to do our books and photographs. I’m going to get the paperwork finished this weekend, so the office is better organized for the books and photos. Then tackle those with DH. I also need to go though my closet this weekend. Our main issue is putting things away, everything has a home, we just leave it out for several days before returning it to it’s home. I know I need to start a 10 min clean up each night.

I did like how she told the couples they can’t tell the other what to get rid off - I can be like that and it’s not respectful of DH/DS feelings. So while I haven’t learned any new strategies, I do think I need to use her approach more to get DH and DS on board. DS is definitely more resistant as he doesn’t want to do things. He’s happy to live in a mess. I did tell him it’s not fair on the rest of us, so he doesn’t have a choice about cleaning up, but he does get to choose what he keeps.

essnce629
01-19-2019, 07:40 PM
DH's turn today! He said I couldn't dump out his drawers so this is everything that was hanging in the closet. He's got like 40 pairs of pants but only wears about 3. He also has a ton of suit jackets with his name labeled inside-- which means they are from when he was in boarding school and his mom labeled all his clothes!!! He graduated 18 years ago! [emoji30]

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190119/b04159bb5b4983d517878f6714ae0c8c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190119/3e3d6b78b1a95d955a0a3ff99d34f4fd.jpg

niccig
01-20-2019, 09:28 PM
Wow... what’s the after photo like?

I’ve got all my paperwork filed
and a box to be shredded. Normally I get 2018 papers dealt with in April, but they’re all done and ready to do taxes once get all our W2s etc. Going to try to get taxes submitted to accountant early this year!

Now I’m moving on to electronics - office has stack of computer cords etc that need to be dealt with.

essnce629
01-20-2019, 09:38 PM
Wow... what’s the after photo like?

DH ended up with 3 full trash bags to donate and another small bag of trash. [emoji1417] [emoji1417]

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

bisous
01-20-2019, 10:53 PM
We are loving this series! I loved the book and implemented some of the practices. I'm glad to see an extended glimpse into how she is handling this because in the book she makes it sound like you take a week to clean everything out and it was nice to see at the bottom "Day 42" or some such note. That's 100% how it would be here. We're not too bad at holding onto things but with our large family in a small place our clutter encroaches on our lives more than most families.

I had a similar reaction to that first episode. DH and I now call each other "Babe" because we think it is so funny, lol. But we both thought the wife was uber obnoxious and the husband was kind of normal. Now I feel like watching it again and seeing if I can see it from the other perspective. I loved "meeting" Marie Kondo through the episodes. She's the most darling person ever. I loved the way she greeted the home. I want to do that!

I have to say, several of the "after" reveals still looked super cluttered to me. At the same time, I saw progress and it didn't seem to shove buying products down to make the reveal more dramatic so I did like that a lot.

niccig
01-21-2019, 04:41 PM
My closet, just hanging clothes so far 4849. I’m going to have to deal with it to go to sleep!!

niccig
01-21-2019, 05:11 PM
I have to say, several of the "after" reveals still looked super cluttered to me. At the same time, I saw progress and it didn't seem to shove buying products down to make the reveal more dramatic so I did like that a lot.

I thought the same. It’s not about minimalism, but being mindful about what you keep. For some that’s more than for others.

I know I’m keeping some clothes that don’t spark joy, but are practical for my life. I’ll though see about replacing with something nicer eg my pjs are all old worn yoga pants, I could update overtime to something nicer

trcy
01-21-2019, 09:24 PM
Ok, so I watched a few episodes and I just couldn't get into it. I guess I just don't get it. I don't like to keep stuff, DH and I are very opposite there. I know I need to go through my closet, but honestly, none of my clothes spark any joy, I am just not a clothes person. I do need to tackle DD'S room, she has so much stuff. Right now I just keep the door shut so I don't have to see it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)