PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo and Osaka hotel recommendations for family of four (Two rooms are okay)

MMMommy
01-06-2019, 12:45 AM
We are going to Japan this summer. Really excited about the foods, sights and shopping.

We have booked some hotels already (cancellable of course) that get good reviews and are supposedly convenient. I have found that most hotels in Japan require two rooms for a family of four (two teens, two adults). Admittedly, none of us want to share a bed when the bed is small like a “Twin” or “Double/Full” size. We like our space in the bed and get terrible sleep when cramped and sharing a small bed with another person. That’s one thing none of us want. We don’t want to all sleep in one King size bed sideways, if you know what I mean. I’d be happy with two rooms with two twin beds, which seems to be a common configuration in Japan.

Any recommendations for personal favorite hotels in Tokyo and Osaka that are very central and super close to public transit (subway, train, etc)? We want to be in the heart of things and convenience is key. I’m picky about hotels in that I require nice, clean and modern. I don’t need five star nice like the Conrad, St. Regis, Ritz, Four Seasons, etc. My nice is more Hilton, Hyatt, Westin, etc. I know they have these chains in these cities, but was wondering if there were some personal favorites that BBB’ers really love for the quality and convenience. Maybe some lesser known gems that offer the functionality and quality.

Would appreciate any advice or recommendations! Thanks!

smiles33
01-07-2019, 02:52 PM
We are going in the Fall, so I'll be following this thread with interest. We are also a family of 4 but my kids are younger. I booked the Grand Nikko in Daiba (about a 15 minute train ride from central Tokyo) because the hotel offers larger than typical rooms. I booked a quadruple room with 4 twin beds. I didn't want to get 2 rooms as many hotels cannot guarantee adjoining rooms. They didn't have any king plus 2 twin options. We usually rent 2 bedroom apartments but I read that it's best to get a hotel in Tokyo given the language barrier. Plus, the hotel concierge can help me book restaurant reservations since we don't speak any Japanese.

FYI, I also found Hotel Axas Nihonbashi, which has a quadruple room with a dining room and kitchenette, too. That would have been my first choice given the extra space and closer location to Ginza and other neighborhoods of interest. However, it's an extra $2,000 for the week-long stay so I went with Grand Nikko.

PS The Grand Nikko is apparently right next door to the subway station and has a 24 hour convenience store/bakery on the ground floor per past guest reviews.

essnce629
06-11-2019, 11:02 PM
MMMommy when are you going to Japan? We are going to visit DH's BIL in Vietnam for the first time in August and will be able to spend about 4 days in Tokyo it looks like. Luckily, DS1 has been taking Japanese for the past year at Japanese School and will get a chance to practice! None of us have ever been. Do you have your itinerary planned yet?